2 days left until NREMT, seeking advice

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
First of all, CONGRATS!!!!

Second thing that I forgot to mention... CAT systems do NOT grade you like standard testing does. The concept of "A", "B", "C", and so on doesn't exist in these systems. What they want to know is how difficult a question is relative to the passing standard. Whether or not you get a given question correct or not is actually immaterial. Your answer only tells the computer to give you an "easier" or "more difficult" question than the one just submitted. Regardless of pass or fail, these systems can very rapidly reach a point where you'll be answering 50% of the questions correctly and 50% not correctly with the result of determining your knowledge/proficiency level. In short, you will usually feel like you have horribly failed the exam because you felt like you were guessing on about half of the questions. That's where your limit is.

If you feel like you knew all the answers, either the exam was asking you questions that were below passing standard because you couldn't answer questions above passing standard, OR your capability/base knowledge is so good and complete that you can answer questions well in excess of the hardest/most difficult questions on the exam. Most people aren't that knowledgeable.

When I finished the NCLEX, I felt like I wanted to hurl because the exam really was the most difficult exam I'd taken to date precisely because it's a CAT type exam. It found my limits and it might be interesting (from an academic standpoint) to see just how well I actually did. Sure, I finished at 75 questions (minimum) and passed, but the only thing I can glean from that is that my ability estimates were consistently above passing standard so I met a "pass" rule at the minimum. I just don't know how far above passing standard I really was.

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
Congrats to the OP for passing. I soon will be taking the NREMT exam for Paramedic. I have been using medictests.com to help me prepare. But I noticed on their tests there are very few questions about drugs and none (that I have seen yet) on drug calculations. I am guessing drugs and drug calculations are on the registry exam? Right? I have been studying my notes from class and any questions I get wrong on the practice tests I study that material. Any other suggestions of items I need to make sure I know very well? Thank you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Might be good idea to reread some of the posts on this thread.

There is not a list of one or two things that you need to have down cold to pass the National Registry adaptive exam. You need to have a wide baseline knowledge of all of the information that's taught in the standard curriculum. You may get 10 or 15 cardiac questions or you may get two. You may get 10 or 15 questions about CHF, you may get one. There may be two or three drug calculations or there may be none. You may get five questions about burns or there may be none. Everyone's test is different.

That's why we all stress that you need to utillize test prep to help build your critical thinking skills to determine the correct answer for the question. It's not a simple "memorize the answer and stick it in the box" kind of test.

Last edited:

AudiGirl

Forum Probie
I was so sure that I had failed! It took me all the way through 120 HARD questions... some of them didn't even seem like they were within my scope of practice. But I passed! I woke up this morning and read the results... I literally jumped outta my bed and ran through the house screaming. Haha. Best part was, my kids were so proud of me. We celebrated with root beer floats. Lol
Aww I'm happy for you! Congratulations!