2 days left until NREMT, seeking advice

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
When did it stop you on the test and do you remember the last question (reworded of course so its not copying). The test is meant to feel hard to everyone that takes it so dont doubt yourself just yet. Keep us updated.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
When did it stop you on the test and do you remember the last question (reworded of course so its not copying). The test is meant to feel hard to everyone that takes it so dont doubt yourself just yet. Keep us updated.

The number of questions or the last question are not pass/fail indicators. The only way to know is by looking at the NREMT website. (Where the answers are now posted).

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Well i know with basic if you were cut off early and you know you got the last question right, you probably passed. Its a struggle with my aemt though, cause its 135 no matter what and i dont even think its adaptive. You get what you get and if you cant get the 70 percent in each section you fail. AEMT is hard haha.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well i know with basic if you were cut off early and you know you got the last question right, you probably passed. Its a struggle with my aemt though, cause its 135 no matter what and i dont even think its adaptive. You get what you get and if you cant get the 70 percent in each section you fail. AEMT is hard haha.
That's a myth with no bearing in how the adaptive test works

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
I dont think anyone knows the "truth to it" even you big dog. My opinion of the test is just as good as yours.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I dont think anyone knows the "truth to it" even you big dog. My opinion of the test is just as good as yours.

The truth is that there is no truth. People pass at 70 or 120 questions. They also fail at 70 or 120 questions. That is a fact.
And the test is definitely adaptive. Just sayin'.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Haha my results say near pass so I assure you that there is such a thing. Would you like a picture or a link to the section that says what I am claiming it does? I have worked on an ambulance for a long time so just because he is a medic has no bearing to me stating factual comments that I can prove.

What I'm saying is that a near pass is still a fail. Make sense?

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Yes,the whole point of near passing from what I read was to show that you were "Slightly above passing" or "Slightly below". It does not indicate which one obviously if you failed and all say near passing you were on the below side, or it would tell you that you passed, not near. The whole point of this is to state that theoretically I could have been above in multiple catergories but failed in 1, which would give me a failing result.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Folks, this thread had to be cleaned up a bit. Keep it civil.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yes,the whole point of near passing from what I read was to show that you were "Slightly above passing" or "Slightly below". It does not indicate which one obviously if you failed and all say near passing you were on the below side, or it would tell you that you passed, not near. The whole point of this is to state that theoretically I could have been above in multiple catergories but failed in 1, which would give me a failing result.
A "Near Pass" isn't "slightly above." It's still a fail but they have that category there to let you know you were close to passing. Yes, theoretically you could have passed all but one section where you might have received a "near pass" which still is a fail. In reality it doesn't happen unless you max out the questions or run out of time. That would result in a fail. If you were above passing standard, even if just a very tiny bit, it's still a pass. That's NOT equivalent to a "near pass" by any stretch of the imagination.

There are quite a few people here that actually understand how adaptive CBT systems work. The NREMT exams and the NCLEX exams are examples of this kind of testing.

In these systems, there are exactly 3 possible results for each category tested.
  • Above Passing Standard (Pass)
  • Near Passing Standard (Keep asking questions)
  • Below Passing Standard (Fail)
There are many myths about these systems. One of them has to do with the number of questions you had and whether or not you got the last question correct when the computer shuts off. The only time you can make any sort of guess about pass/fail and number of questions is if the system shuts off right at the minimum and even then you either were above passing standard in all areas or you were well below, with pass or fail as the result. If you go even ONE question beyond the minimum, the system could NOT determine clearly whether or not you passed or failed, so it had to ask you another question. It will continue to do so until you clearly meet a rule that says "Pass" or "Fail." If you're consistently at Near Pass, that's often within the built-in wiggle room so it'll continue asking questions until you meet a pass/fail rule. If you max out questions or time and one of those sections are still at "near pass" then you fail. It's that simple.

If you failed the exam and you weren't maxed out, then there clearly was a section that you failed and did poorly enough that the system had to stop the exam because you met a fail rule. When that happens, expect to see at least ONE "Below Passing Standard" section, regardless of what the other sections tested at.

Last edited:

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Awesome info. Not saying youre wrong very informational, but here is a direct quote from NREMT backing up what I am saying.

Candidates who are “near” the standard can be slightly above or slightly below the standard and should certainly study these areas. Being “near” does not indicate pass or fail but it can be interpreted as an area to study.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Awesome info. Not saying youre wrong very informational, but here is a direct quote from NREMT backing up what I am saying.

Candidates who are “near” the standard can be slightly above or slightly below the standard and should certainly study these areas. Being “near” does not indicate pass or fail but it can be interpreted as an area to study.
I edited one place that should clarify things a little bit. The CBT systems are designed to determine pass/fail with a 95% confidence interval. If you're within that 5%, that's the area where it'll keep asking you questions and it'll do so until you reach any rule that stops the exam. That's the "Near Pass" and the system cannot be certain that you know the material well enough to determine pass/fail.

From the NREMT website:
Candidates who are “above” the standard can be somewhat confident they have sufficient knowledge in that content area, allowing them to pass the exam. However, failure to review the material in that content area can result in failing the exam again. Candidates who are “near” the standard can be slightly above or slightly below the standard and should certainly study these areas. Being “near” does not indicate pass or fail but it can be interpreted as an area to study. Candidates who are “below” the standard need to enhance their study in this area...Criterion-based examinations like the National Registry have only one score that counts: did the candidate meet the criteria (pass) or did the candidate not meet the criteria (fail).

This video from the NCSBN (folks that put on the NCLEX) should describe things a little more visually... the NREMT uses a very similar system so this should really be instructive. Near passing occurs when your ability estimate is both above and below passing standard so the computer can't determine pass/fail.

https://media.ncsbn.org/vod/Webinar/MinimumItemFail.mp4

OP
OP
SashaCherie

SashaCherie

Forum Probie
I was so sure that I had failed! It took me all the way through 120 HARD questions... some of them didn't even seem like they were within my scope of practice. But I passed! I woke up this morning and read the results... I literally jumped outta my bed and ran through the house screaming. Haha. Best part was, my kids were so proud of me. We celebrated with root beer floats. Lol

Colt45

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats I knew you would! I wish you sucess with all future plans, whether they include EMS or not:)

Last edited: