Your Controversial EMS-Related Opinion

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
The current tiered system is totally backwards. Sending someone with apx 120 hours of training to see if someone needs an actual assessment from a provider with formal education is backwards. You don’t know what you don’t know.
This is the justification for the LA/OC model. ALS first response with BLS transport that a medic can jump on if necessary. So while I agree in principle with you, that has been completely *******ized into what we have in SoCal today.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Additional education (AEMT and Paramedic) should be required for all paid providers after a set period of time.

EMT-Basic > 1 year > EMT-Advanced > 1 year > Paramedic

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
When I mean employees, I mean the CEOs and those high level jobs, not the ones doing the real work.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When I mean employees, I mean the CEOs and those high level jobs, not the ones doing the real work.
Would you know all of the logistics and logistical challenges that go into the specifics of even a mundane renal-rodeo IFT? I don’t, I just transport.

Why shouldn’t those jobs exist? Please expound and your somewhat shortsighted comment.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Putting profit over everything else is wrong, when you only care about the bottom line, you put everyone at risk.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Putting profit over everything else is wrong, when you only care about the bottom line, you put everyone at risk.
Your first mistake is believing this is limited to private EMS. I assure you, nobody is in the business of EMS to lose money. Not privates, not third service, not municipal fire, nobody.

If there is profit to be made, everyone is trying. When you're older, you'll understand.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Needle Decomp is a BLS skill.

This is interesting - do you think risk/reward makes it so? I guess the view I have been told is that it is infrequently used enough and too risky for an EMT to perform. That said, less trained folks (that is, in terms of hours of EMS-type training) do perform it in, say, the military, right?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

You don’t think administering a large business or organization is real work? Tell that to the chief of the police department or the head of an oil company or a hospital administrator. Somebody has to hire staff, make budgets, buy equipment…to do it right is hard and that means it is going to cost a bunch, likely more than the rank and file will be paid.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
This is interesting - do you think risk/reward makes it so? I guess the view I have been told is that it is infrequently used enough and too risky for an EMT to perform. That said, less trained folks (that is, in terms of hours of EMS-type training) do perform it in, say, the military, right?
It’s a monkey skill. It’s part of CLS/TCCC taught to 18 year old troops. I teach it in TECC. The reward is well worth the (minimal) risk.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It’s a monkey skill. It’s part of CLS/TCCC taught to 18 year old troops. I teach it in TECC. The reward is well worth the (minimal) risk.

Makes sense. It was covered in TECC when I took it, but I would not want to be doing the skill unless refreshed on it/skill validated biannually (like any other), particularly because it wasn’t taught in my initial training to the degree I feel fully competent.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Makes sense. It was covered in TECC when I took it, but I would not want to be doing the skill unless refreshed on it/skill validated biannually (like any other), particularly because it wasn’t taught in my initial training to the degree I feel fully competent.
Agreed. I ensure repeated skills testing for my students throughout the year as part of my training programs.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Fire based versus hospital based versus government third service based is the red herring and almost entirely irrelevant to the care delivered.

The only thing that actually matters is the value the agency places on initial/ongoing training, quality improvement, and ensuring competency of their providers.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Needle decomp is life saving when needed, but it is also invasive and not without serious complications, and the biggest single failure point is employing it when it is not indicated which automatically adds potential for complication. For that reason alone in a non-combat environment, I can see the argument for keeping it above the EMT level, even though the actual skill is less complex and less difficult than other things that EMTs do. But it should be in the hands of AEMT at least.