Your (companies) policy on transfers during hazardous road conditions

pilotmedic

Forum Probie
As the winter season decends on us I was wondering what u as crew do when assigned a long distance transfer and you learn that the route you are going to take is described as nearly impassible or severe icing.

What ever the language might be you don't feel safe taking the run due to road conditions. Does your company have a policy

THanks

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What is this ice you speak of?

"Drive safe, don't die" is our policy... :p

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Road conditions are monitored throughout the province by crews, dot, fire and police. Usually transfers are put on hold and emergency transfers are looked at on a case by case basis ,Same for 911. If we do not feel safe we are not required to respond or transport.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What is this ice you speak of?

"Drive safe, don't die" is our policy... :p

Same here. We don't get much snow in California (except the mountains).

And our policy is pretty much the same haha.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
When I worked for a private IFT, we were expected to make the transport unless the mountain passes were closed by the DOT.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Any crew is allowed to stop the transport if road conditions preclude driving from being done safely. Supervisors can shut down operations for all crews at their discretion.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
No written policy, falls to the discretion of the crew. However if things are real bad our chief can shut down operations

kodymakesnoise

Forum Ride Along
Its funny I read this post and since I just started my job I went back inside (it wasnt raining at alk at the time) and asked the other guys and they said no goldcross makes us go regardless so not even 5 mins after asking tones go off for a hour and a half long transport and its pouring rain and hail