your commute time/distance?

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
what is your daily/shift commute time/distance?

how many times a week do you drive it?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
About 30 minutes and 30 miles one way. When I was full time it would be 3 days one week and 4 days the next week.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
30min 24/48s for my FT gig, 3 minutes for my PT PRN gig.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
At my first EMT job, I was on call/part time.
- The furthest station I worked out of was about 35 miles away and took me about 50 minutes to get to without traffic.
- Another station I regularly worked out of that was closer was 25 miles away and took about 35 minutes to get to without traffic.
- The closest station I worked out of was 7 miles and took 15 minutes to get to without traffic.
- The station I was originally hired for, worked out of a few times part time, and eventually became full time at was either 15 miles (with toll) and took about 25 minutes without traffic. If I didn't want to pay toll, it was 25 miles and took about 35 minutes. The shift was 4 times a week, 10 hour shifts.

Shifts could be 4 (common), 5 (never worked or saw one), 6 (common), 8 (common), 10 (uncommon), and rarely 12 hour shifts. As a part time/on call employee, I could go a week without working if I didn't call the scheduling department.

When I was full time at my current job, the station I worked at was 10 miles away, and it took me 20-25 minutes to get there without traffic. I worked 3 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on, 3 days off all 12 hour graveyard shifts from 8:30 pm - 8:30 am.

I'm now part time, and I drive to three different stations. I rarely work out of the station closest to me even though it's the busiest station. The other two stations are:
- 50 miles, takes about an hour without traffic.
- 15 miles, takes about 20 minutes without traffic.

Shifts can be 8 hours (very common), 10 hours (common), or 12 hours (uncommon). For somebody like myself, I actually usually work only 12 hour shifts, but that's because they have a rule that you have to have at least 1 year ambulance experience (they don't recognize volunteer or medical standby experience eg MedPro, Rockmed) to work these "specialty" shifts (they are ALS, CCT, and NICU/PICU), and most people at my company have less than a year of experience.

As a part timer, they require me to put in availability for at minimum 72 hours per 2 weeks (pay period). Just because I'm available doesn't mean I'll be selected to work a shift, and I could go the whole 2 weeks without working. I do believe though that I am required to work at least 1 shift a month, or something like that (I haven't pushed my luck, haha).

Of course I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so the severity of traffic seems to change all the time. Some days it might take me 30 minutes to drive somewhere, other days it might take me 2 hours to drive the same distance.

It's very ironic that I rarely work at the station closest to my home even if they are busier/busiest than other station, and often those stations are considered less desirable than the stations I tend to work at (which are further for me). *shrugs*

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Where I currently live, my commute to my PRN job (way back when) took about 2:15. I'd leave around midnight, arrive there about 2:15AM. That gave me about 5-6 hours more to sleep. If I left at 5:00am, I'd arrive right around 8:30 AM and that only gave me maybe 3 hours of sleep. My shift started at 9. I did that once each way per week. I'd leave home, work for 36 hours straight, and go home, all told, about a 300 mile round trip (actually, slightly less). If I had to do that every day, I probably wouldn't have wanted to do it.

My regular job? Well, I've had that for 12 years now and it's not medical. :( My commute to and from that job is an astounding 23 minutes each way. My commute to/from school or clinical sites is right about 35-40 minutes in traffic, and about 18 (or less) in no traffic.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
15 minutes one way. 4 days a week. Well 5 for the last files months but only supposed to be 4.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Around 3000miles and it takes around 8 to 9 hours total to get there. A 2 hour flight then a 4 hour flight then a 1 hour flight into camp. I work a 2 week in 2 week out rotation.

When I am home I work casual for a 911 service. It is less than a 2 min drive.

OP
OP
T

troymclure

Forum Lieutenant
of the 2 jobs im trying for, 1 is a rotational thing, ill be working at different stations, 12hr shifts/3-4 days a week. closest is 9 mins/4.5miles. furthest is 66 miles, 82 mins.

the other is a fixed location, 45 mins/40 miles. 8hours/5 days a week. the only bad thing is its only one road between the two. any traffic jams and im screwed or driving 3 hours around, and thru nola.

When I worked in LA, my commute was 70 miles one way. Now it's about 30 miles to the high desert where I don't have to leave my house at 4:30am just to be at work at 7:00am anymore.

MissK

Forum Crew Member
I have a 20 minute commute. It's not bad since I only have to drive it twice a week since we rotate between 48s and 72s.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Full-time job is 42 miles/~50min one way, every third day. PRN job is 15-20 minutes away, depending upon traffic, 2-3 times/month.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends on the time of day. Its about 25 miles which can be 20 minutes, but in Brooklyn traffic that could turn into an hour and a half ordeal.