yelling at your patient

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've raised a tone to patients before but never yelled. I yelled at a driver on an MVA today because as I was walking to the rig to get a backboard and collar, he was speeding towards me and didn't stop until I stood there with my hand out, only stopping (and may I add this was a slammed stop, not a gentle coast) about 5 feet from me. I signaled for him to roll down his window, walked to the drivers side and proceeded to yell: "WHEN I TELL YOU TO STOP YOU STOP. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?" He tried to speak to back his case but I just yelled "DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR" one more time and he quieted down. Sure scared the heck out of me how fast he was coming though.
dis16165_1277568096266.jpg

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I don't think I've ever yelled at a patient. I once got into it and raised my voice with a SNF charge nurse who said that giving me the patient's face sheet was a HIPAA violation, but that was the third day in a row of that silly argument at 5am.

Once had a man drive between the fire engines, through all the flares, and right through our scene. CHP did enough yelling for all of us. I've seen them yell at drivers. I've been on the receiving end of an upset chippy once or twice. They're good at what they do.

LightItUp98

Forum Probie
You're an idiot, what if he hadn't gotten stopped?

Again, you're an idiot and lucky to be alive, you should've looked before you crossed the traffic lane, you're not invincible.

Like 46 said, I just ignore them. If I need to be stern I'll be stern. There's no point to take things personally at work.

I did check both lanes before crossing, and keep in mind this was on a long roadway, not an intersection. He was far away when I did look, and I raised my hand out before I even started crossing. He wasn't allowed to get through anyway because the road was blocked off with our rig, the police vehicle, and the victims car. He just had to get where he was going so in avoidance of slowing down and stopping for me, he sped up until he was right up on me. That's when I proceeded to yell at him. Don't make an assumption that I didn't look because that makes you look like a jerk. Also, saying stuff like that on a public forum does no justice to anybody, except making yourself look like a child. This was not me just looking to take a stroll to the rig for no reason. I needed a board because the mother started seizing right when we opened her door with her two young kids in the back.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
No one is trying to be a jerk or act like a child. We're just concerned for your safety. That driver could be so hyperfocused on the flashing lights that he doesn't even see you. If the lanes were blocked, there's no reason to head out there and start confronting traffic. That's PDs job. I liked The Hurtlocker too, but there's no need to do a dramatic reenactment and stare down cars like Jeremy Renner did.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Yelling at the pt is too conspicuous and you'll get in the neck from the boss.

Yelling about the pt where nobody who can complain is able to hear you ... awesome!

I've said some pretty foul things about people once I've left work; not really patients (but not not them), mainly the family or other such things