writing utensils.

jameswf

Forum Probie
Okay I am not yet in the wild but I assume pens are not something you get attached to. That said you probably want them as cheap as possible. Unfortunately cheap pens suck. So what is the balance between omfg awesome and meh anotherone bites the dust.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I manage to loose a pen basically every call so any pen i can find

OP
OP
jameswf

jameswf

Forum Probie
if it makes you feel better I did search but didnt find the mentioned post. My search-fu lacks...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I loose pens left and right. I could not care less how fancy my pen is. (Or is not as the case may be). Every single thing on my person during a call I view as potentially disposable. Because I loose stuff all the time and because sometimes is just isn't worth it to wash it. Honestly, if you want your own pens and don't want to always be lifting them from the ER, station or your partner, just go get a box of those amazing little Bic pens from walmart and hang on to them as long as possible. I save money every way I can, and if I lost a $30+ pen every call, there would be no point in me even working, as all I would be doing is working to keep myself in pens.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Trick I learned from my law enforcement days is to use "violator" pens. I keep my nice pen in my shirt pocket and I am the only one that will use it. I keep several cheapo bic pens in my pants pocket that I give out to patients (or violators) that way if they walk off with them or they get nastys on them I don't care.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Trick I learned from my law enforcement days is to use "violator" pens. I keep my nice pen in my shirt pocket and I am the only one that will use it. I keep several cheapo bic pens in my pants pocket that I give out to patients (or violators) that way if they walk off with them or they get nastys on them I don't care.

Something I was also taught in NJ PD academy

If you're not using Zebra F-701 you're not using a pen

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I just tape a pen to the bottom of my glock next to the bayonet :) you know "just in case".

I like uni-ball.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I ordered a great little pen with a built in pen light. But I also rarely lose pens. Not never, that's why I bought two.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I've gone through pens at the usual rate, but a moderately-priced disposable has somehow become my everyday pen for months. It's stayed functional and refused to disappear despite regular dropping and semi-regular sanitizing. I've gone back into a locked building to recover it and lost it in the truck only to have it pop up days later.

Unfortunately, I seem to have SaniCloth-ed the make and model off, so I'm not sure I can find a successor.

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
I prefer the free ones that all the private ambulance companies give away, usually the standard Bic variety. They write well and if I lose or destroy one its no big deal.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Stainless steel Zebras. Easy to clean, not terribly expensive.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I buy the big bags of black Bic pens with the grey cap, sorry I don't have one in front of me so I can't tell you which exact one it is. They write like champs on gloves, don't smear and are cheap.

Yes, I write on my glove, shoot me.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
HermesBabyDIG.jpg

I have one and used it on field deployments. Yes, really. No, it does no use batteries.

More recently, Pilot G-2 07 pushbutton pens. Nothing with a cap, so I'm not tempted to de-cap/recap with my teeth.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I like fine point pens and about three years ago I found a guy selling 250 of them on e-bay for some ridiculously cheap price and I'm sick of them!

charlie37

Forum Ride Along
Charlie

I usually just buy a box of BIC pens from the office supply store. Very cheap and very effective!

DVetter

Forum Probie
Pens Pens Pens

Pens are always disappearing,I always carry an extra one because my captain always leaves his at his desk when we go on calls. Anyway,a pick up tons of pens when we work health fairs or EMS expos and the like. They really don't mind if you take a few. Also doctors offices that have cups of pens on the counter are a good bet.

MSPs

Forum Ride Along
+1 for the Zebra F701. Awesome pen for <$10.

But I prefer to carry cheap Zebra Z Grips (about $8 a dozen) on the squad. Even though the F701 isn't that expensive I don't want to lose it at the rate I lose regular pens.

I have managed to keep a Space pen in my pocket as a backup for a couple years. I use it only as a last resort and then it goes right back in my pocket.