Working while a student

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
Who worked while they were in Basic class and if you did, how many hours did you work a week?

I am asking cause my job has scheduled me every night this week except my class nights, leaving me no time to study until late at night which obviously I cannot stay up all night and study every night if they are gonna do this to me every week. I mean I just started my class and already see how much effort is going to have to be put in. so what do you think?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't work during my basic classes, but I also really didn't study that much either and I got through just fine. I mostly payed attention in class, took notes. Then when I got home re-read my notes and then read the chapter through out the day or whenever i had downtime.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You can easily work while in basic school.

Hell, the first 3 weeks of September last year were hell.

I did a full college load (15hours) which ended up being from 9AM to 9PM on Tuesday and Thursday.

I then was a manager at a store Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, doing about 32+ hours.

I then did over 100 hours worth of clinicals in those 3 weeks, doing it in the off time between work and school.

It's doable. :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I worked 30 hours/week, and counting EMT-B class, I had 14 credit hours as well. I did fine

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I agree with all above... I worked almost full time, took a full time class load, and took the basic class. You shouldn't have an issue.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
What San Diego said. It will mostly be a discipline issue regarding time management. You work nights and go to school nights; unless you do third shift, you will have to simply make time to wake early and study then.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends on how your class is set up. My class was 10 hours a day, so I didn't have time for a job. Between the about 30-45 minute commute each way and class, by the time I got home, I had a couple hours to study the chapters we covered, do my homework, and go to bed. On the weekends I'd do some extra studying for the exams.

That being said, I have friends who take 15 hours at a rigorous top national university, and take EMT-B classes 2 nights a week, and over 15 weeks they were just fine. If you don't need the money, you could ask to scale back your hours if time management is really that big of an issue for you.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I worked a full time job while taking my the last basic class I took. I worked full time while in the medic program.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't really think it matters what others have done, as each person is unique. Some manage their time better than others. You have to do what works for you, whatever that may be.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I easily worked full time while in EMT class, while taking other college classes.
EMT class by itself is not rigorous nor demanding.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As mentioned, emt-b class is not that rigorus to prevent one from working or going to school full time outside of class.

futureEMT-B

Forum Ride Along
I just finished my emt-b course and I did the same thing I worked on nights that I didnt have class and also I have a 9 month old son I had to care for during the day so my gf could go to work so yea it sux and it takes a huge commitment but if this is really something you wanna do youll find the time I was studying at work on my breaks and while my kid napped during the day I was averaging about 2 - 3 hours of sleep a day it was hell but now its over and i graduated with a 92.29 gpa so it can be done just keep your head up and use your time wisely theres no more time for friends or partying or nething else now

john76

Forum Probie
i am currently in EMT-B class and i am working a full time 40 hr. a week job and i have a total of 17 hrs. of college counting my emt class,and i have a wife and 2 kids a 2 year old and a 6 month old.so i know what you are talking about when you say it is rough.

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-B class is not as rigourous as a Paramedic program. Working while going to school is something most do. Sure you will have to set aside time to prepare for lectures and exams but it's completely attainable.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I worked for the first 1/3 of medic school then got laid off from my desk job. So I collected unemployment while in class. Not the most ideal, it's been tough on us, but I don't see myself having much issues with our class schedule and school. I would have been busy but I wouldn't have failed or suffered because of it either.

The deskjob I worked for the first 1/3 was a 9-5 type job but I was also on call in case the servers went down and all the techs were required to come in and make sure everything was functional before going home. Which happened often due to that buildings power. Still didn't feel any pressure during that time.

That's just me and our schedule, our class was designed to be a bit more forgiving than most on how much is crammed into you at once.

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
my classes were mon wed fri 9-430 (sometimes a little earlier).
i worked 11-7 on non school days besides sunday.
i also drove a van for my church picking up youth twice or more per week.
i had alot going on actually, but there was still time to get things in. i would practice vital signs and stuff with my coworkers

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was working every other 24 hrs active USAF FF'er

My Kelly Day was my class day and I had class one night a week, for four hours or so. I think....

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I continued to work my regular schedule which at the time was a short 56 hour week. I went to class before work from 1600-2200 on Tue and Thur and for our class-lab-practical Saturdays I would go to the training tower after work and sleep in the back seat of my crew cab for a couple of hours then do 10 hours of class then back to work for 12 hours. I must admit it was tough but I made the commitment to follow through no matter what and complete the 156 hour course. Its nothing compared to the 70-80 hour a week schedule I work now.

With all due respect to the forum I must add a little information for the many that lurk seeking advice and reliable information. Not all EMT-B classes are weekend EMT mills producing below average poorly educated providers . Since it is the base on which you will build your medical career should you decide to move on you should go at it with the commitment to learn all you can and take the class seriously. Some folks will need to devote all their time to their studies and some will fly through the course. You have to find what works best for you and stick with it. I will tell you that many of the over achievers (pinheads) seem to have more problems relating to their patients in the field, I see it all the time in the ER with med students. You can give a person a first class education but your ability to interact with patients on a compassionate and caring level is something that no college course will give you. I honestly get so tired of the constant condescending drone of those that think unless your sporting a class A educational pedigree your somehow incapable of becoming a decent provider. Can we have one thread where we are not reminded how much some of you are dissatisfied with the current system whether it be the hours of training the difficulty associated with the overall material or the quality of the education we receive.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
M-F I have college classes 9-12 and I work 1-10. I'll be taking EMT classes on Saturdays from 8-5. That will still leave me all day Sunday, an hour long lunch break every weekday, and the 30 minutes between arriving to work and starting. Plenty of time to study for all of my classes.

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
During my intermediate class, I worked 32 hours a week and was in school two days/nights a week. I had about 9 or 10 hours of EMT classes at the tech school and another 12-13 hours of core classes (A&P, English, history, etc) at the local college. I maintained straight A's in EMT and A's and B's in my college classes. It's very doable, just depends on you. Plus I have two kids and a husband at home, so I was very busy. ;)