Working overnight on a BLS unit

Tk11

Forum Captain
I'm an emt I've worked overnight on ALS truck with a medic and of course we ran 911 calls. I'm working it again but this time with another emt on a bls truck, during the day our bls units do a lottt of transfers. At night I know the only transfers we'll be doing is hospital to hospital. Should I be expecting a very slow night?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we have no idea where you are or what your company does.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Nope. Expect a lot of discharges and overnight transfers.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My first job was an overnight bls transfer unit. Most nights i was lucky to get two or three runs. No discharges and we didn't do dialysis runs.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends entirely on where you work and their call volume. Your company could get 100 calls during the day and only 10 at night company wide, but if there's 20 units on during the day and only 2 at night, you'll be just as busy at night as during the day...

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I usually only had a few calls a night on a BLS overnight rig.

Usually one 911, one psych transfer, a discharge or two, and if it was a weekday we'd have an early morning dialysis.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Have done this before as well. Luckily we had maybe 2-4 calls a night. That was with 911 included. All doctors offices and dialysis centers are closed, so the transfer calls go way down. Will just depend on your area and contracts.

JohnTheEMT

Forum Crew Member
You cant predict or plan your day out. It can be busy or it can be a slow shift. I personally found that weekdays seem to be the busiest especially friday since a lot of hospitals want to ship put patients before the weekend. Sundays are generally the good shifts to work . It just depends in your area aswell.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It depends on the company, so we can't help you too much.

At my job, the BLS car does a fair bit of psych transfers and ED discharges at night. Sometimes an urgent transfer from a nursing home to an ED (when they don't call 911).

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
As of now as we step into the darkness the IFTs slow down and the 341s begin