Working in Qatar

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Still waiting to hear back from HR, and the recruiter has no information as of yet. I returned to part time and picking up call outs to keep paying the bills.

The ongoing risk/benefit analysis continues.

Matt, did you ship?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Well, at "ship" plus two weeks. Annemie has not bothered to reply at all since the previous "waiting on HR." I assume this is like a teenage breakup where you just stop talking to the other person - and that I've been cancelled but not told such. Best case scenario, I would be pleasantly surprised and can repack quickly.

My old position was filled, so I'm picking up call-offs, teaching BCLS/ACLS/NRP and CQB on the side, and looking for real employment. Have passport - will travel, but the fiancee strongly prefers non-combat zones.

On the bright side, I wasn't burned as badly as others...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up.

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
Still waiting to hear back from HR, and the recruiter has no information as of yet. I returned to part time and picking up call outs to keep paying the bills.

The ongoing risk/benefit analysis continues.

Matt, did you ship?

Nope, I told my current job that I was considering leaving and got a raise and "please don't go"... so, I'm sticking it out for a while. It's just not worth it financially right now.

TooTallMedic

Forum Ride Along
Well this is certainly crummy to hear especially going through the motions currently. I wonder if @Armor10 might be able to shed some light on the situation since he is over there?

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Rookie question: can I ask what web site you guys are using for locating these overseas jobs? I apologize if I missed it while I was rapidly browsing. Thanks much. Feel free to send it as a private message if you wish.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Many sources.

GMR has been on a lot of Facebook groups, LinkedIn, and at EMS conferences. A lot more is web searching, word of mouth, and networking at refreshers and other courses.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Many sources.

GMR has been on a lot of Facebook groups, LinkedIn, and at EMS conferences. A lot more is web searching, word of mouth, and networking at refreshers and other courses.

are you a former group medic dutemplar mate?

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Finally received an email back. They want some more paperwork... to explain previous paperwork, which makes absolutely no sense to me. A few months from now, who knows, it might work out.

I am not pursuing them any further
. I whole-heartedly have to suggest anyone consider very very carefully their process. I've seen a few people burned by them, and I truly feel like I'm just being played with.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
That settles it pretty much.... More than one potential new hire burned...

Hamad is a no go, despite their claim that they need people urgently.

Lest we all forget that the process is through that type of government by those kind of people who do business in such a manner that defies logic...

Or maybe they were waiting for your next envelope to contain some financial motivation. You guys who have played in the sandbox know what I mean.

Insha'Allah. ;)

Best wishes in your job hunt @dutemplar

dutemplar

Forum Captain
My impression is more of a tempermental 7 year old going "nope, lets do it this way" "hey, this would be neato!" "maybe we can try this".

No bakshish from me, there were enough fees for an alcohol license alone to cover that :)

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Good morning,

I received an email this morning to state they have requested an e-ticket for me for January 26th. I was unaware they were still pursuing me as an option. My reply was "I'm just making sure you're serious and this wasn't sent by mistake." I'm waiting for that confirmation, however, ludicrous speed, engaged. I've gone plaid. (Mental note, must get a different garment bag to pack the kilt.)

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Good morning,

I received an email this morning to state they have requested an e-ticket for me for January 26th. I was unaware they were still pursuing me as an option. My reply was "I'm just making sure you're serious and this wasn't sent by mistake." I'm waiting for that confirmation, however, ludicrous speed, engaged. I've gone plaid. (Mental note, must get a different garment bag to pack the kilt.)

Oh my gosh, anyone who can reference Spaceballs should be on my friends list. Gone plaid. I've seen mixed reviews on working in Qatar, especially when you can cross the border and make double the money. I'm entering medic school this summer and have my eyes on eventually getting overseas. I look forward to you keeping us (or me) posted on how they treat you and how you find you like the area and work.

May the schwartz be with you,
M.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Tough sell brother.

I hate to be a pessimist, but these guys seem off the level.

This is a hurry up and wait field... Times a hundred... You never know until the plane ticket is in your hand... Sometimes, all of the sudden.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Still here in conus and no clue... Whiskey tango foxtrot.

After this jerking around, if they wanted me - Id already be there. Don't know what the malfunction is, but I'm not pursuing them. If they send tickets, if I'm available - cool.

I actually looked up the recruiting requirements for the French foreign legion... Too old though.

Ejecting from here and starting over completely would've good though.

Vegeta182

Forum Probie
This makes me feel like there is no hope for me. I'm a NREMTP have been for 8 years in rural environment over hour long transports to the closest hospital kind of rural. I was hoping to find an onshore oil medic job.

dank

Forum Probie
Yeah Ive seen everywhere from 72k in dubai and abu dhabi to 100+ in other middle east areas. 40 is def the lowest ive seen. Dubai twin towers is hiring atm i just found out..... Working strictly in the Hotel/Office towers
When looking at the job posting what does AEA and CCA mean?

pdxmedic

Forum Ride Along
Still here in conus and no clue... Whiskey tango foxtrot.

After this jerking around, if they wanted me - Id already be there. Don't know what the malfunction is, but I'm not pursuing them. If they send tickets, if I'm available - cool.

I actually looked up the recruiting requirements for the French foreign legion... Too old though.

Ejecting from here and starting over completely would've good though.
After reading your posts in this thread I realized that you were in my recruitment group. I too got the offer and signed the contract 4/2014 was suppose to go in November but I put it off a little. Then was scheduled for January 26 this year and that was a go no. same story you have shared and no word. Finally went back to work in at end of March since the funds ran out. Figured it was a no go. Got word last night they are ready to bring me over. Not sure if I want to anymore. I got a buddy working there now and he says it a not a great place to work .

Scott