Working in Qatar

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
I have't gotten my ticket yet but they did say November/ December. I also haven't done the FBI thing. I never got any specific instructions about that so I guess I'll wait until they instruct me to. I'd imagine that if they are applying for my Visa, the country must do some kind of international background check... This whole process is pretty intense. It makes me wonder if working there will be similar, ie. lots of bureaucrats.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I haven't heard a timeline other than N/D from months ago. You probably need to go get a fingerprint card and ship it off to the FBI requesting your file. That can be a 2 month process all by itself. GMdL sent that info to me... whew, a long time ago.. June? Also apostille of documents. By the way, feel free to look up with the State Department on how to do that in addition to GMdLs instructions on it...

Paranoid-Obsessive-Compulsive with certification and verification it would seem with numerous redundancies, and "what they want" keep being expanded upon and the details changed "no, this way..."

I'm very much hoping, but I am not holding my breath. I do have a passport in hand and my eyes and ears open.

Sandpit, I'm not sure they applied for a Visa yet, yet alone tickets... Not wonderful communication. No formal "checklist" It almost feels like they develop the process as they do it.

The only "good thing" I hear is that the higher echelons seems to be pressuring HR to get 'er done.

blueoceantraveler

Forum Ride Along
On the FBI thing, just call your local office and they will walk you through the process. I've done it myself, and it was relatively easy and fast. BUT, that was walking into their office and face-to-face interaction. Finger prints were done at local PD then hand carried over for me, and that was a few years ago. Good luck and I hope that helps. Just do not wait until the last second. I have been reading this thread from the beginning and there is no use in giving them any reason to duck out.

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
fair enough. I do remember them listing the FBI check in the initial requirements email but with everything else being laid out in specifics, and then re-iterated over and over again, i just sort of forgot about it. I got so many emails about employment verification and education confirmation, I just sort of figured they would micromanage the FBI background check just as much. But instead, they told me that they already applied for my visa. I guess they don't need the FBI check for the VISA? Anyway, I have ordered and already received the fingerprint cards from eBAY And will go to my local police station this week to get my prints taken and then send them off...

-matt

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Hmmm... I haven't heard anything in a few weeks. I dropped an email to see what's up and if anything is outstanding.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Holy communication!

Ok. Monday after that post I emailed HR asking what the status is and all.

Tuesday I received and update whih included they applied but we're waiting for the visa.

This morning I received an email that the visa was in, please send your background check and medical clearance in..

Visa dated October 2nd with 45 days to report from the 2nd. It's the 15th...

Brain whirling at 2000mph and we have shifted to ludicrous speed.

Apparently i can have my birthday party on the 11th and leave to report by the 16th.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Nice! Keep us updated!
That's the name of the game... Hurry up and wait. And then hurry up to wait some more.

Congrats. When you board that plane it's official.

TooTallMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey All! I've been watching this posting for quite some time and it actually prompted me to create a profile on here.
To dutemplar congrats and I hope to hear more about how life is over in Qatar as that is the main prospect I want to pursue for overseas contract work

I wanted to ask a couple of questions to anyone who has received an offer or is currently working overseas.

1. Dutemplar I saw your earlier posting about the contract from HMC really only being 46k+allowances did you find out if there is available OT or not? I too am looking to do contract work not only to experience the world, but also to help exhume some of my debt here in the states.

2. Are there any other contracts that people have worked (Expat I'm hoping you could weigh in on this) and they were more promising as far as a salary goes. I do understand that there is a certain "honeymoon" appearance to these contracts; however, I make 42k a year here in Wisconsin as a medic so an extra 4k a year doesn't exactly trip my trigger to pick up everything and go half way across the world.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I'm currently on the bus but between calls.

Consider this, $45k pay, $45k cash allowances. Plus a place to live. Out of the US yiu are also tax free.. End of contract is a months salary (straight vs with allowances I don't know) per year you served...
Do you currently pay rent? Housing is provided. Pay for a car? You won't need that one for 3 years and get an allowance for wheels there. Pay for a cell phone? That's an allowance...plus, if applicable you can take a spouse and they help provide education allowance for 3 kids. These are all expenses they cover with allowances. Spend less, pocket the difference.
In addition, consider where you are now and where you want to be. High volume, high skills system... One hell of an experience working with internationally recruited talent. New locations, skills and experiences. Come back with more opportunity than you may have now. I plan to pay some debt, stash some retirement, and I'm split at the moment... Transitioning to RN (ED/CC and flight) or PA. But this is an avenue to help enable that.

I sent an email re: OT. I was led to believe yea, but as short staffed as they appear to be, I Can't imagine not.

Usual caveats apply...

PS: when your visa comes in, you need a medical screening for HIV, Hep B, Hep C, TB and color blindness. Quickly. Concentra is $500-600. Health department or clinc may be cheaper. Insurance may not cover...

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently on the bus but between calls.

Consider this, $45k pay, $45k cash allowances. Plus a place to live. Out of the US yiu are also tax free.. End of contract is a months salary (straight vs with allowances I don't know) per year you served...
Do you currently pay rent? Housing is provided. Pay for a car? You won't need that one for 3 years and get an allowance for wheels there. Pay for a cell phone? That's an allowance...plus, if applicable you can take a spouse and they help provide education allowance for 3 kids. These are all expenses they cover with allowances. Spend less, pocket the difference.
In addition, consider where you are now and where you want to be. High volume, high skills system... One hell of an experience working with internationally recruited talent. New locations, skills and experiences. Come back with more opportunity than you may have now. I plan to pay some debt, stash some retirement, and I'm split at the moment... Transitioning to RN (ED/CC and flight) or PA. But this is an avenue to help enable that.

I sent an email re: OT. I was led to believe yea, but as short staffed as they appear to be, I Can't imagine not.

Usual caveats apply...

PS: when your visa comes in, you need a medical screening for HIV, Hep B, Hep C, TB and color blindness. Quickly. Concentra is $500-600. Health department or clinc may be cheaper. Insurance may not cover...

Dutemplar,

If you have the capability in a couple of weeks (once you get settled in), some of us "one the fence" folks would love to hear about your experience.

I'm finishing my CCEMTP and looking into offshore/overseas work. Seems like a sweet gig.

That being said, their process seems pretty intensive. I wonder how they'll feel about a paramedic who has a lot of experience as a volunteer in a busy system, with less paid experience (and some emergency room experience).

dutemplar

Forum Captain
From a followup... yes, there are multiple educational opportunities, including Texas A&M and other satellites in addition, of course, to online (AMU/ APU). Yes, there is overtime available.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Heard back. No go for me until I get FP-C. A critical care cert is not optional, it is a hard requirement.

They liked everything else.

Working hard at it currently.

See you soon.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Heard back. No go for me until I get FP-C. A critical care cert is not optional, it is a hard requirement.

They liked everything else.

Working hard at it currently.

See you soon.

Doh! Yes, they - for some reason, want CCEMTP. I think because it sounds cool. It's 911... Not balloon pumps, loads and transport vent/ pumps.
Good luck with FPC, certified critical care transport provider or just plain CCeMTP.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
British thing but might be worth a look at for you guys? I've no clue about pay/benefits but prob the UAE/Qatar standard range...

Tercel Medical Group
We STILL have a few spaces available where we are currently looking to recruit Ex Military Medics (MA/CMTs) who are clinically current and physically fit for a 3 year rolling contract for our client in Qatar. Great family benefits. PLEASE If your interested or require further information please contact us by email: info@tercelmedgroup.co.uk ASAP!!

dutemplar

Forum Captain
The fiancée vetoed the "fun" stuff or I'd be backs with TC.

Scheduled to fly to Qatar on 8Dec.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
The day that I realized my relationship and financial commitments effectively made it impossible for me to go to Haiti for a rebuilding project was the day I realized I had made a mistake in my priorities.

That marriage didn't make it.

Women weaken the warrior!!

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Women weaken the warrior!!

BTDT, still teach on occasion for a well known company with people you'd know.

I'm a little fatter, dumber, and happier (edit: well...) than my days of a plate carrier over flannel shirts and jeans with sticky taped-on (later Velcro) flags.

Part of me wants KASOTC or TC again (or other) and to mix it up, but I don't mind someone saying "hey, love you, don't want you getting killed for $200k/year and kids would be nice you know."

Some people wanted to chat. My nickname here is also my name at AOL... But if you spamlist me, I will find you.

If anyone is doing the UMBC refresher next week, I'll see you there. Don't need it yet but...

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
BTDT, still teach on occasion for a well known company with people you'd know.

I'm a little fatter, dumber, and happier (edit: well...) than my days of a plate carrier over flannel shirts and jeans with sticky taped-on (later Velcro) flags.

Part of me wants KASOTC or TC again (or other) and to mix it up, but I don't mind someone saying "hey, love you, don't want you getting killed for $200k/year and kids would be nice you know."

Some people wanted to chat. My nickname here is also my name at AOL... But if you spamlist me, I will find you.

If anyone is doing the UMBC refresher next week, I'll see you there. Don't need it yet but...

Haha Im in the same boat, 12 Christmases in a row missed and I am about to quit the overseas work for good myself as soon as my current gig runs out. Looks like I'm getting it off this year so cant complain, plus I have a 6 month old girl to spoil the hell out of!