Words of Wisdom

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Doc, I completely agree that it is unlikely that the delay in getting him to the hospital had any effect on his outcome.

However, I posted this because there are so many lessons in story, and that is what the OP was asking for. The other story I would have any new medic/EMT take a look at is the Rosenbaum case from Washington D.C.

It's so much easier to learn from other people's mistakes rather than from your own.:)

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Doc, I completely agree that it is unlikely that the delay in getting him to the hospital had any effect on his outcome.

However, I posted this because there are so many lessons in story, and that is what the OP was asking for. The other story I would have any new medic/EMT take a look at is the Rosenbaum case from Washington D.C.

It's so much easier to learn from other people's mistakes rather than from your own.:)

I absolutely agree, there are lots of mistakes to learn from in this case. It would be nice to know more about the interaction between the pt and the initial EMS crew. Isn't there a blog that is based on EMS and the law that has lots of cases? I can't remember the name.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
words of wisdom:

take all the stuff you take with you into the ambulance, and put it in a gym bag. This includes your scope, belt, IDs, etc. As you progress in your career, you will find more crap to put in that bag. Ignore the naysayers, if it makes your job easier, use it, and keep it in the bag.

Make sure everything you start the shift with is in that bag when you leave. and never leave your scope in the ambulance when you leave for the day, odds are you won't see it again.

Always keep a jacket in said gym bag. bonuses if you have a hat and gloves. and a spare pair of socks.

and most important: never go anywhere without your towel.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
words of wisdom:

take all the stuff you take with you into the ambulance, and put it in a gym bag. This includes your scope, belt, IDs, etc. As you progress in your career, you will find more crap to put in that bag. Ignore the naysayers, if it makes your job easier, use it, and keep it in the bag.

Make sure everything you start the shift with is in that bag when you leave. and never leave your scope in the ambulance when you leave for the day, odds are you won't see it again.

Always keep a jacket in said gym bag. bonuses if you have a hat and gloves. and a spare pair of socks.

and most important: never go anywhere without your towel.

But remember, as you fill that bag that there is a difference between stuff that makes the job easier and stuff that you will use once or twice in your career but really looks cool on your belt.