Words of Wisdom

Say G

Forum Crew Member
This is for everybody I see that come's to this site seeking advice from the folks with years of field experience.

Tell us about a situation you experienced that managed to teach you something that may have changed your way of doing things even if it's as simple as how close you get yourself to someone that talks with a whisper before realizing that they are about to vomit a liter of breakfast in your direction.

I will start with the time that I got a call for an overdose where someone had too much fun with vodka and norco's. Seem's like people aren't too happy when they're strapped down on the gurney for a 51-50. The lesson I learned is to avoid laughing at the hilarious threats the pt makes unless you managed to put a mask on him because you don't need your extremities to shoot a loogie at my face.

thumbnail_4382714875151608932.jpg

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You seem like a nice enough young man, so I will entertain your thread a bit. These are not words of wisdom, this is a war story...
I will start with the time that I got a call for an overdose where someone had too much fun with vodka and norco's. Seem's like people aren't too happy when they're strapped down on the gurney for a 51-50. The lesson I learned is to avoid laughing at the hilarious threats the pt makes unless you managed to put a mask on him because you don't need your extremities to shoot a loogie at my face.
The difference between the two is, a war story is something you tell a group of your equally easily impressionable friends (oftentimes around a water cooler); the latter being something that carries insight and is often earned over many true years of worldly (not just work) experience, hence the term "words of wisdom".

My words of wisdom to any young and/ or impressionable/ inexperienced person can vary day to day, week to week, hour to hour, person to person. Everyone seeks wisdom in different ways, but it is something that isn't often thought of as such until after the fact, often many years later.

My only pearl for now would be don't ever mistake some "vet" sharing "cool war stories" as words of wisdom. True wisdom is earned through true enlightenment, good luck.

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
You seem like a nice enough young man, so I will entertain your thread a bit. These are not words of wisdom, this is a war story...

The difference between the two is, a war story is something you tell a group of your equally easily impressionable friends (oftentimes around a water cooler); the latter being something that carries insight and is often earned over many true years of worldly (not just work) experience, hence the term "words of wisdom".

My words of wisdom to any young and/ or impressionable/ inexperienced person can vary day to day, week to week, hour to hour, person to person. Everyone seeks wisdom in different ways, but it is something that isn't often thought of as such until after the fact, often many years later.

My only pearl for now would be don't ever mistake some "vet" sharing "cool war stories" as words of wisdom. True wisdom is earned through true enlightenment, good luck.

I was trying to use that phrase sarcastically but I forgot my lack of skill in doing that through text. My apologies.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Talk to your patient. TL;DR version, angry child was angry no more. But most people here don't need my advice, 99.9% of the time it is the other way around.

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
Words of wisdom:

Always pack lunch.
Took me a while to learn that one.

Anyone use those gel pads in their boots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Seem's like people aren't too happy when they're strapped down on the gurney for a 51-50. The lesson I learned is to avoid laughing at the hilarious threats the pt makes

The words of wisdom are right in front of you, yet you failed to see them.

NEVER laugh at a patient. Period. Psych, Medical, Trauma....never laugh AT a patient.

There are some times and situations where you will laugh WITH a patient, but never at.

Your post indicates a LOT more training and maturity is required.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Powerful words of wisdom to live by:

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
The words of wisdom are right in front of you, yet you failed to see them.

NEVER laugh at a patient. Period. Psych, Medical, Trauma....never laugh AT a patient.

There are some times and situations where you will laugh WITH a patient, but never at.

Your post indicates a LOT more training and maturity is required.

I can't disagree, it just happened to be that he looked me in the face and said something that was so out of the ordinary that it was almost an instinct that I couldn't react fast enough to hold back.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Laughing at a patient in my line of work like that will get you hurt. If what he said was that funny to you that you couldn't manage to hold back then I'd practice some restraint from here on out. Ive laughed with patients before but the key word was WITH. Everything doesn't have to be serious but laughing should come only at the most appropriate time.

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
Laughing at a patient in my line of work like that will get you hurt. If what he said was that funny to you that you couldn't manage to hold back then I'd practice some restraint from here on out. Ive laughed with patients before but the key word was WITH. Everything doesn't have to be serious but laughing should come only at the most appropriate time.

Don't get me wrong, i completely understand it was inappropriate but it happened and I learned from my mistake.

OP
OP
Say G

Say G

Forum Crew Member
Words of Wisdom: Never admit to demeaning a pt on an forum of EMS professionals.
Laughing at a threat made at me, not his situation. I get it, let's move on.