Wish me luck!!! I start my class tomorrow!!!!

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow is the first day of my EMT-B class!!! I just got done washing, ironing, and lint-rolling my uniform and it looks great!!!! i polished my belt cutter, stethescope and shoes to the brightest shine possible. I washed, waxed, and polished my truck so that I could show up in and look professional when I got there. Went to the dentist Friday for a teeth cleaning, and haven't had any pop or anything since then. Brushing 4 times a day to keep from getting plaque before I go in. Got a haircut yesterday and bought me a shiny new watch with a second hand. They said it would be recommended we have a laptop to work from, and I already had Sony Vaio I bought for myself at Christmas, so I cleaned up my case for it and wiped down the screen and keys so it looks brand new. Am I forgetting anything?

The agenda for tomorrow is a formal introduction, then we're going right out on the street as soon as we get a call. Yes, I am going to get the new Braun! At the end of the shift there is supposed to be a video lesson on how to be a good student, etc. etc. We should be done and ready to go home around 6 PM or so. I plan to stick around and get t oknow my instructors a little bit better, and maybe help them do end-of-shift ops (paperwork, cleaning, checks, etc.). I really feel good about this; I think it's going to be a good decision. I don't get those feelings very often, but they are usually very accurate. Ha, maybe I can become the world's first psychic EMT lol. Well, time to get to bed and spend the night sleeplessly tossing and turning in anticipation of the most important day of my life so far.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Dude...calm down. It's just EMT class.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well.. I will give you this: You're thorough.

If you keep that up on the job in documentation, you should be fine.

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
should I bring my little digital camera to take pics of my first day in EMT class? I would like to but don't want to give everyone the wrong impression

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
You waxed your truck, withheld soda, went to the dentist, and polished your stethoscope... so yeah... u may as well take your digital camera.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Don't forget brushed teeth 4 times a day... and there's not even a girl in his class.

Makes me wonder... what's your ritual for dates? :p

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Don't forget brushed teeth 4 times a day... and there's not even a girl in his class.

it just so happens that one of my instructors is a chick. To say it in short, let's just say that if we ever get a cardiac pt. we won't even need a defibrillator...yes, very shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's class. If you're responding to calls from class to get ride along experience then show up to every course dressed to respond. Truth be told, though, no one is going to be able to tell if you brushed your teath one time or 10 times. Similarly, if you are lining up for inspection with your steth slung around your neck, then my suggestion would be to find a real EMT course.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Chill the heck out. Seriously, if I were your instructor and you were this wound up, you, I and the program director would be having a chat. Relax, breathe and run with it. This attitude you're exhibiting is really unprofessional (far more than gnarly teeth) and will alienate a lot of people in real life like it is doing on here.

Cory

Forum Captain
C'mon guys, insalting him isn't going to help.

Just be ready to focus, listen, learn, and be a good student. Don't get too ahead of yourself, you might mess something up. In all my years of schooling (which are far from over) I have realized that being totaly quiet and attentive is WAY more appealing to a teacher/instructor than an eager attitude. Don't let your instructor get the vide that you are so eager. And don't let her see total apathy either. Just show that you are ready to learn. When she speeks, nod your head and listen. When she says you are messing up, don't try to jutify your actions.

As with most professions, experience will go farther than boring classroom learning, but the classses have to come first.

I just want you to realize that this is a class. It may be glamorous now, but in a few weeks it may be boring and over bearing. Don't get your hopes up too much.

Over all, the best advice I can give is too keep a cool head. RElax, and listen. Have fun, and congratulations on beginning your first day in the world of EMS. You are lucky bro, I still have three more years before I can start.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck

-Cory-

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Just remember to take a deep breath before you walk in, and dont be jumping off the walls and seem over exited! listen to your instructors and if you have a question, ask it.

Also if you respond to a call, It is NOT your emergency! take your time, and please remember this part. DO NOT RUN! you will look like an idiot, and everyone will give you crap for it!

Privet

Forum Ride Along
Hahahah.

My first day of EMT class I was like "God, I don't wanna go to class. The new episode of Lost is on and I'm going to miss it!"

It's cool that you are excited for EMT class, I had fun during my class and enjoyed the information. But like most everyone else said, chillax. Best way to get through training, and be a successful and efficient EMT is to relax, be calm, and asses.

Have fun at class and enjoy. But remember, it's only Basic. You're not going to be creating any new holes in people. ;)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
C'mon guys, insalting him isn't going to help.

Agreed, but most of us are just trying to get his feet on the ground before he has some grizzled old EMS veteran do it in person possibly inflicting a great deal of mental damage in the process. I actually previously told people not to be rude to him, but at the same time some things just need to be said even if they hurt a little.

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Congrats!!!

Remember to study, and have fun. I've seen you post a few times, and it's cool to see your enthusiasm!

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are doing some sort of EMT class that takes place at an active station, and you get to go on calls with the guys working / teaching while learning, is that right?

That would also help make sense of why you went to such lengths to prepare for your first day, I assume you want to get hired by these people when you are done, so this is basically one big interview.

Maybe not on day one, but a camera is a great idea, I didn't believe it at the time, but our EMT instructor took and min. and said "take a quick look around the classroom, these faces will be with you your whole career, so get to know each other" and turns out I still work with a bunch of guys from my class, went to medic school with some of them, and a few have become some of my best friends years later, so pictures will pay off in the long run.

Ignore the folks telling you to calm down, stay pumped, and get your class pumped up as well. You have a long road ahead of you (if you are planing on going medic and/or higher) and it's going to be a lot of fun. Keep your boots polished, and your uniform dialed, not because you have to, but because discipline always pays off....

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Good luck with your EMT class and welcome to the wonderful world of EMS. By your post, I'm guessing that you are somewhat enthusiastic about becoming an EMT. A word of caution for you, try not to be the one person in class that asks all of the questions. Definately pay attention in class, think about the material that is being presented. When there is something that you absolutely do not understand and can not find the answer in the book, then ask your question.

Once again, good luck and enjoy!

Sasha

Forum Chief
you are somewhat enthusiastic

My vote for understatement of the year.