Winter time mountain seasonal ems ski patrol travel programs?

dkobos

Forum Ride Along
So just curious if anyone has heard of such a thing or such a thing even exists. Is there such thing as travel programs for ems for the ski/snowboard season that require you to live in on a certain mountain for the season?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You could get hired as a ski patroller? I am not really sure what you are asking. If you get hired at a mountain you're probably going to live there?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You could get hired as a ski patroller? I am not really sure what you are asking. If you get hired at a mountain you're probably going to live there?
Sounded like he was looking to be an EMT that only showed up to various ski resorts as needed...which I doubt the resorts would hire anyone not local.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Ski patrol work is seasonal by definition... Unless you do bike Patrol in the summer or do endless Winter by patrolling in the southern hemisphere during the northern summer.

Typically new patrollers are selected at tryouts at the end of the previous season. However there were no tryouts last season. Also, J-1 Visa patrollers from the southern hemisphere will not be available this year. So maybe someone is hiring, but most companies are worried about how long they'll be able to stay open this season.

If you want to be ski Patrol you should start looking on ski company job websites now to see if there are any positions. However you're going to have to be able to do something to vouch for your skiing ability. Skiing matters a great deal.Usually in lieu of on snow tryouts a director is going to want a recommendation from one of their current patrollers who skis with you and knows your ability.

Know that it's a very physical job (not because of the skiing). Medical is only one component of it.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Previous poster is dead on. I hated that toboggan! Was a fun job although physically demanding. Great way to stay in shape.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
I am an active NSP Patroller for over 10 years. I have never heard of a Travel program. Most resorts have their own orientation program/ annual refresher that goes over their specific Mountain policies and their Lift's system evacuation plan, which if they have a Gondola then also a Gondola evacuation team as well, by Federal Law the whole Gondola system must be cleared within I beleive 2 Hours, so the clock is ticking.

Pick one Mountain and enjoy the season. I expect this year there will be a shrotage of Patrollers at most mountains, I am hearing a lot of the older patrollers are taking a year off due to COVID19.