will my misdemeanor disqualify me?

dirtypants1

Forum Ride Along
I am really eager to become an EMT.
The problem is, when I was 19 I kissed a 13 year old and they charged me with child molestation which is a misdemeanor.

I thought it was interesting how a few weeks ago I went to a school which did a background check on me and nothing showed up. I am not a registered sex offender either.

My question is: will i be disqualified for a position as an EMT because of my record? or maybe I'll get lucky and it won't show up again when the background check is done?

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
You will be asked if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony while applying for the job and also when applying for ambulance drivers certificate.

You can figure it out from there

OP
OP
D

dirtypants1

Forum Ride Along
You will be asked if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony while applying for the job and also when applying for ambulance drivers certificate.

You can figure it out from there

What if I say no? Do they always conduct background checks? and even if they do, it might not even show up apparantly. If they conduct background checks, will they dig deep or just do a quick search?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What if I say no? Do they always conduct background checks? and even if they do, it might not even show up apparantly. If they conduct background checks, will they dig deep or just do a quick search?
thanks

All depends on the company. If you say no and they find something on your background check you can say goodbye to ever having a job with that company.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
thanks

Be honest. If it is found out you lied it will make things much worse.

You may want to contact a lawyer, potential employer, or contact the licensing agency.

I would not feel comfortable working with an EMT or Paramedic who lied on their background check.....regardless of the conviction or offence.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
Why is a college student making out with a child in middle school? It might be hard if a company asks you about what happened because we often go on calls that have children involved.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I am really eager to become an EMT.
The problem is, when I was 19 I kissed a 13 year old and they charged me with child molestation which is a misdemeanor.

I thought it was interesting how a few weeks ago I went to a school which did a background check on me and nothing showed up. I am not a registered sex offender either.

My question is: will i be disqualified for a position as an EMT because of my record? or maybe I'll get lucky and it won't show up again when the background check is done?

thank you

I would be surprised to learn that whatever state you live in will allow you to be certified. Your first hurdle to overcome would be finding out if there are states that won't preclude you from initial certification for this particular conviction.

IslandTime

Forum Crew Member
One big question to OP; were you only charged, or were you convicted. Very big distinction. Your original post only states that you were charged.