Why become a paramedic?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I also dropped paramedic aspirations after I was an EMT

Having been a firefighter and knowing at that time paramedic slots were virtually all fire dept., I knew my chances of staying for the rest of my working career were limited, and for advancement very limited. I knew I would be able to "swing from ropes" for only so long, then where would I be?
Nursing has been psychically often unrewarding gig, but it has gotten me where I was headed. I was also able to enrich my experience by working where I could exercise some autonomy.

Needles17

Forum Probie
The first time you pull up to a scene and the family or pt looks at you funny because you say "I need to call an ALS unit for you" you will understand why becoming a paramedic is the way to go. Especially if your pt is in cardiac arrest.

abuan

Forum Crew Member
like someone mentioned earlier, i'm doing it for the cool patch. hahahahaha
paramediccc.jpg

but in all honesty, being in charge of medical scenes and cardiology are the biggest reasons for me.

canuck_downunder05

Forum Probie
If your looking for good money with a very needed job - go into nursing! There is a shortage out there and the money is much better than an EMT or Paramedic paycheck. Hell, I'm a teacher making $60,000 a year and there are nurses exeeding my paycheck. I'm a volunteer EMT in PA and the medics and Emt's here get paid crap. I just figure that with all the experience EMT's and Medic's that need more $$$$ try nursing or be a PA. I laughed at the reply about how the medic patch is cool. My thought, for some decent pay upgrade yourself and your skills. Just my thought.....;)

I agree. I've been an industrial medic for 5 years now, looking to get into ground in a year after another year of travelling. From the viewpoints of the paramedics I have been working with, mostly washed up guys, been doing it for years, tired of the same ol and doing it for crappy wages, I've kinda been turned off moving onto paramedics. :mellow: So I've also kinda figured when I get home, I will work ground for a few years until I'm bored and then consider nursing. I am the type of person that wants to do more, I know I will want to push drugs and intubate and do all sorts of ALS stuff while the adrenaline rush is kicking, but the cost to do the course and then the crappy wages after is kind of a turn off. Our healthcare system needs to improve and our Ambulance Providers need to be paid better.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm

New Jersey has Mobile Intensive Care Unit
Hawaii has Mobile Intensive Care Technician
Israel (Magden David Adom) has Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics on MICUs
Kansas has Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic
Victoria has Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance [Paramedic]
Queensland and NSW both have Intensive Care Paramedic
New Zealand has had Intensive Care Paramedic nationwide from Q1/10

I mean if that's not cool right there I dno what is :p :p

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I got into medic school for all the wrong reasons, because it looked cool and I wanted to be able to intubate give cardiac drugs etc. "Save lives" or whatever not that I expect that now. I have read reports from the gathering of eagles etc and I am really trying to get past that and focus on education and doing what's best for the patient even if it means making their drive to the hospital less frightening and keeping all the tools in the bag.

I am hoping Paramedics on the street are something like the folks on this forum, intelligent and dedicated to the profession. Most I have spoken with seem very hesitant to accept change of any kind, or consider whether it is warranted. And medic students? My god it's like the worst parts of being around (some) EMTs on crack. Complain about having to read a book, tell war stories about your transport job and add in how much you hate faggots and would never give mouth to mouth to someone with aids and I just feel right at home.

It's good to see that most people like being a medic though.

curt

Forum Crew Member
To be able to do my very best for the patient. Also, decent pay and the ability to travel to/ work in different states as long as I've got my registry/ am willing to pay licensure fees helps.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

piranah

Forum Captain
I became a medic because if I am going to do something I want to be the best I can be at that specific thing. In my eyes the only way to be the best is to be the highest level with the most training and expertise....Although I am not stopping at Paramedic I love what i do and I am good at it...:)

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
Where I'm at EMT job openings dont exist, it's either paramedic or nothing pretty much.

Then theres the fact EMTBs arent really allowed to do Sh*t aside from drive an ambulance. They dont even trust us with needles.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Where I'm at EMT job openings dont exist, it's either paramedic or nothing pretty much.

Then theres the fact EMTBs arent really allowed to do Sh*t aside from drive an ambulance. They dont even trust us with needles.

For the most part I wouldn't trust an EMT-B to do more than drive either. All medics sounds like a good system

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I don't trust medics to drive either. There is no extra driving training for paramedics than EMTs.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
I applied for Medic school so i can drive really fast in a flashing, screaming box, ignoring all traffic laws, AND poke people with needles and shove tubes down their throats......but seriously, because I want to save lives, I hate the idea of working in a hospital, and paramedic is the right way to go for that

62_derick

Forum Crew Member
I wanna become a medic to better help people out and will be entering the program this fall.

Also so I dont have to drive as much cuz at the company I work for medic barely drive and I need to work out my arm tan.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
The first time you pull up to a scene and the family or pt looks at you funny because you say "I need to call an ALS unit for you" you will understand why becoming a paramedic is the way to go. Especially if your pt is in cardiac arrest.

Umm cardiac arrest is way down on the list of patients that need a paramedic.

Uknown downtime with no bystander CPR (which is the majority) is about as BLS as it gets, save the paramedics for someone they can help.

My advice is always get your degree, become an EMT work some then if you choose go on to medic school. Jumping right to medic school with no idea if you are going to even enjoy EMS is ridiculous and could be expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: