Why become a paramedic?

2nd2nun

Forum Ride Along
What makes one decide to go farther and become a Paramedic? What is it that drives you?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Because I feel that EMT-B is wholly inadequate to provide prehospital care. Hell, I feel paramedic is not adequate to provide complete prehospital care.

That and the pay raise would be nice too

OP
OP

2nd2nun

Forum Ride Along
I Agree

Where I work, we have double basic trucks and being sent out on a call that should have been handled by a paramedic is frustrating. You want to do more but can't. Thank you for responding.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
What makes one decide to go farther and become a Paramedic? What is it that drives you?

I want to be a medic mostly for the cardiology and extra skills. Basic was ok but I wanted to start lines, push some drugs and shove ET tubes in people. Now I can't wait till I start class for my medic so I can better assist and treat my patient and have the knowledge to do so.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
because 8 years later working up the ranks from just basic first aid at the age of 13 to emt now at 21... it would be rude to stop now haha

but in all seriousness its something ive a great interest in and i want to be able to help my patients better and further my skills for my own self

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
because 8 years later working up the ranks from just basic first aid at the age of 13 to emt now at 21... it would be rude to stop now haha

but in all seriousness its something ive a great interest in and i want to be able to help my patients better and further my skills for my own self

haha yea same here. 16 I had first aid, 18 I was a first responder, 21 I was an EMT-B, 23 I was an EMT-I and 25 I was a Paramedic. I guess if you look at it that way with all the time it took me, I should be a doctor eh? oh well... The patch is pretty cool as stated

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
OK, this is a classic. Been in class for two weeks now (EMT then onto Paramedic, 18 months total). We were being signed off on how to change an oxygen cylinder and one of my classmates was struggling to get the regulator off. Our instructor shook his head and asked her 'Why are you here? Why do you want to do this course?' Her answer was 'Because I thought it would be easy'

Go figure, we don't think she will be with us for long. Also she turned up yesterday for CPR training (admittedly an extra curricular day) wearing a long pleated pink and blue frilly type of flowing skirt...her days are numbered!!!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
OK, this is a classic. Been in class for two weeks now (EMT then onto Paramedic, 18 months total). We were being signed off on how to change an oxygen cylinder and one of my classmates was struggling to get the regulator off. Our instructor shook his head and asked her 'Why are you here? Why do you want to do this course?' Her answer was 'Because I thought it would be easy'

Go figure, we don't think she will be with us for long. Also she turned up yesterday for CPR training (admittedly an extra curricular day) wearing a long pleated pink and blue frilly type of flowing skirt...her days are numbered!!!

maybe she wants to work on barbies ambulance or is looking for her MRS degree?

emt_irl

Forum Captain
haha yea same here. 16 I had first aid, 18 I was a first responder, 21 I was an EMT-B, 23 I was an EMT-I and 25 I was a Paramedic. I guess if you look at it that way with all the time it took me, I should be a doctor eh? oh well... The patch is pretty cool as stated

ok so ive about 4 years to catch up on you :)

i actually applied for a place on a paramedic class last week. 2 years full time course from start to final days of exams, will have to cross the border though and leave the country:sad: hopefully i get on it and i can move home after i finsih the course

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
So I never have to never have to explain what an EMT is when asked what I do for a living. Now I say paramedic and people go, oh that is great!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty much what all of you guys said.

... and here ALS is known as "Intensive Care Paramedic" and that just sounds way too flash not to want :p

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Interestingly, I don't foresee myself getting a paramedic degree anytime soon. It was once my goal, but now I've moved on to pursuing BSN, ICU, and eventually CRNA, so much of my time is spent with-you guessed it-a CRNA.

I decided to switch for many reasons, but primarily to have a higher role in patient care. Also, the university I was attending dropped its 2-semester A&P requirement in favor of a 1-semester "pre-A&P" course, which was done simply to make more money.

Currently I'm quite close to having multiple majors, but I doubt I will ever return to pursue an AAS/AS degree in paramedicine. I believe that the CRNA profession is fairly respectable, and I wouldn't mind eventually being a rural anesthesia provider.

Still have my EMT, of course.

Bluestar

Forum Probie
I want to be a medic mostly for the cardiology and extra skills. Basic was ok but I wanted to start lines, push some drugs and shove ET tubes in people. Now I can't wait till I start class for my medic so I can better assist and treat my patient and have the knowledge to do so.

If your reason to become a medic is so you can start lines, push drugs, and shove tubes in peoples throats then you might need to rethink this a little.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If your reason to become a medic is so you can start lines, push drugs, and shove tubes in peoples throats then you might need to rethink this a little.

/me thinks you read it wrong.

He's an I, which means he already can "start lines, push drugs, and shove tubes".

He stated he wants to be a medic so he can better help.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Knowing when you need drugs and when you don't is a good trait of a knowledgeable paramedic.

Also knowing when to just leave the patient alone.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Because as a paramedic I will be able to provide more complete care to my patient... I will have all the tools available to me prehospital to actually make a potential difference in patient outcome. No longer will I have to call somebody to come save me if my patient is in critical or deteriorating condition... I will be able to do everything for them that anybody could do for them prehospital.

Plus the pay raise, more days off, and fewer transports help too.

Oh, and chicks dig paramedics.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
EMT = Ambulance driver with lots of Liability and little they are allowed to do.

Paramedic = The training and skills to manage liability and hopefully help some patients along the way.

I'm sorry when I do get my license I would at least like for it to be something I did should the worst happen and I loose my license, not something someone else did or did not do.

RESQ-ME

Forum Ride Along
Just thinking....

If your looking for good money with a very needed job - go into nursing! There is a shortage out there and the money is much better than an EMT or Paramedic paycheck. Hell, I'm a teacher making $60,000 a year and there are nurses exeeding my paycheck. I'm a volunteer EMT in PA and the medics and Emt's here get paid crap. I just figure that with all the experience EMT's and Medic's that need more $$$$ try nursing or be a PA. I laughed at the reply about how the medic patch is cool. My thought, for some decent pay upgrade yourself and your skills. Just my thought.....;)