Why are you in EMS? My story.

mightymom7

Forum Probie
It was while watching "Johnny & Roy" that I became interested in becoming a paramedic. However thoughts were squelched by family -- and back then females weren't accepted as part of ems. I was always attracted to the sirens for many years. Became a secretary "to pay the bills" but never wanted to be there. Back in '92 witnessed suicide and was uprooted from my home. Finally.....20 years after HS I finally enrolled in EMT school -- then paramedic school.....and have been extremely happy since. Took me a long time to get here. For many years heard from people I should become a nurse (nothing against nursing) -- but DEFINITELY not for me. Anywhoo....have been happy doing this -- just wish I had been able to stand up and done it when I was younger. :blush:

ndilley

Forum Crew Member
mine was a kind of fall into it as well...I came to college to get my B.S. in police studies. For one of my electives i decided to take the emt class (it filled up 6 credit hours). My professors was in the first paramedic class ky offered and i was fascinated by his teaching and stories. The funny part of it is when i was younger the sight of blood or anything out of the ordinary made me completely sick...( side story: when i was about 8 y/o i saw my aunt remove her contacts and threw up then passed out cold) Now however not much bothers me. After getting my emt i worked in a nursing home as a nurse aide. So as all ems people know the smells (which get to you at first) began to never phase me. I quit the nursing home and finally got hired onto a county ems. So from blood=puke to now blood=time to work....i love it...(by the way i still plan on working as a police officer, so like DT4EMS i'll eventually be wearing both hats, medic and cop....

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LOL< I was talking to my husband last night and he's read this board over my shoulders a few times, he's actually thinking about becoming an EMT now. I'll bring him over to the dark side eventually. (Or is law enforcement the dark side? I can never tell)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
kind of "sucked into" the FD...

When I was a LILWHKR I stood across the street from the firehouse watching the civil defense siren rotate when they had a fire call. It was this huge yellow thing that kind of looked like a cow bell on it's side, rotated clockwise when it went off.. anyhoo. I blame that for making me join the fire side.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
fedthunderbolt.jpg

It was just like thing thang, which I stole from long island fire alarms dot com.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Whkr I don't know what this forum would do without you.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay my reason for becoming an EMT is that My Grandma always encouraged me to become a nurse. My mom took the EMT class while I was in late middle school after researching it a little more I feel in love with it and EMS has swallowed me up. I am almost done with my LPN schooling for another year of RN after wards. I can't wait to be done with major schooling. After wards I have yet to decide what I want to do if I want to go P or Just stay where I'm at doing what I love to do. As I keep taking additional classes and adding letters and so forth behind my name. I don't really see myself doing anything else.

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
for the big bucks of course! ROFL...

i grew up with johnny & roy (CLEAR!!) and my first job i wanted was fire/medic (ummm ok AFTER being a pony! hey cut me some slack i had a hell of an imagination!)
yeah but then i realized i hated blood/vomit/other body fluids
so when i was like in my 30's i realized that i was bored bored bored with my job and i missed the excitement of emergency work (had been a dispatcher in my 20's) so my kids were old enough so back to school i went --
little did i know it would be quite the uphill battle --
had to dedicate my spare time to the gym, not that i was in bad shape but i'm VERY short and didn't have the greatest upper body strength...and blah blah blah finally got on with 911 service

funny thing is that blood/vomit/body fluids don't bother me (unless its my own family - wth?) and damn i love my career -- i love running calls, i love that no call is ever the same, i love my patients...sound crazy? no THIS is what it means to be in the RIGHT line of work!!

so yeah i'm going to medic school this fall and can't wait!! woohooo....

screw the money, ya gotta do what keeps ya going!
take it easy,
kate

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Kate, what were you doing when you decided to go back to school?

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
Wingnut said:
Kate, what were you doing when you decided to go back to school?

i was working as a "administrative assistant" a/k/a the state's fancy title for a secretary. i used to dispatch but when i got pregnant with my last critter i decided i'd had enough of 50-60 hour work weeks plus shift work so i took a little sabbatical and returned to the state part-time getting paid big bucks and great benefits to pay my bills and manage my website, oops i mean type and file...LOL

my story is very much like, um...was it medic mom? btw wingnut i LOVE your avatar...just listening to evannessence on my way to town this a.m.

take it easy,
kate

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thanks Kate, they're my new favorite band for now. My husband says I resemble her a bit (or as he puts it...she resembles me) so when I saw this pic I had to use it as an avatar...I like it much better than any of my pictures lol.

I'm with you on the "medic mom." Mine are 5 & 3 and are part of the reason I got into this business, but every time I think I'm done and ready to work I find more to go to school for. One of these days I'll settle down. Thank God were not rich or I'd probably be a perennial college student. Wait...I take that back.:unsure: