Why are there so many of you?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Fell for the necro thread there Robb...That's okay, you echoed my opinion from last year.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Whoopsies haha

Great minds think alike.

mfshorepatrol

Forum Ride Along
This is the EXACT dogma we're trying to get away from. Yes there is an "E" in EMS and this call may have been an emergency but the treatment described was a disservice to the patients spend the extra couple of minutes to dry him, use some iodine or chlorhexidine to make the area tacky and capture the 12-lead. If egress was so long why not do it while you're idling through the event on the way out?

I'd be torn to shreds by QI/CQI here for not obtaining a 12-lead and activating the STEMI protocol. Showing up and handing the nurse the 12-lead may have gotten them the appropriate treatment but it was delayed even though you had a emergency and transported without assessing.

We spin the lab on our STEMI alert on scene then call a full report em route. Consistently pull 30 minute door-to-balloon times.

Not trying to Monday morning QB you, I wasn't there but if that's the standard there it needs adjusting.

"BLS before ALS" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard when it comes to medical care from medical providers. We provide appropriate treatments at the appropriate level. If I show up to an anaphylaxis with massive laryngeoedma, facial swelling, stridorous, and hypotensive I'm goin to give epi and albuterol then without a quick change they're getting criched. I'm not gonna :censored::censored::censored::censored: around with BLS interventions because "BLS vs ALS".

Sorry, you struck a nerve, friend.
??? What state are you in??? Thats some BLS $!#& in CT

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
[...]
"BLS before ALS" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard when it comes to medical care from medical providers. We provide appropriate treatments at the appropriate level. If I show up to an anaphylaxis with massive laryngeoedma, facial swelling, stridorous, and hypotensive I'm goin to give epi and albuterol then without a quick change they're getting criched. I'm not gonna :censored::censored::censored::censored: around with BLS interventions because "BLS vs ALS".

Sorry, you struck a nerve, friend.

In my system albuteral and epi are administered by basics so giving them before a crich is BLS before ALS. I get where your coming from though, you do need to accelerate your interventions in relation to the patients condition. Though BLS before ALS to me just means try the least invasive interventions first and move up from there if needed.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
But that is the point....there are times where the least invasive thing is to be skipped and the MOST invasive thing should be first. But again, medicine is not a step by step cookbook although many teach it that way, learn it that way and practice it that way. It is more like a ghoulash....throw it all in the bowl and savor the many flavors. But you cannot do any of the above without a solid foundation rooted in education...

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
One time, there was a big lady. and she broke a wheel on her barriatric bed. And was all like.......Is it cause im fat?

And we were all akwardly silent......And finally one of us was like ......."nooooooooooooooooooooooo dear! Its just a defective wheel! happens all the time!"

yeah. True story. It happened.