White shirts

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Ok, I know, full of stupid questions as usual, but this has been bugging me. Why the white shirts? I get that it shows an air of cleanliness, however... once you get a shirt with something on it, you're sunk! Maybe there's a laundry secret I don't know about, but then do you generally wash uniforms at home or at the station? I've heard both ways, I guess. Keep home from contamination which makes sense to me. I'm not looking forward to white shirts.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Uniforms vary from white to grey to green to red to blue to black to whatever someone thought would be a good idea.
I've never had much trouble keeping a white shirt clean. Bring more spare shirts than you think you'll need, and don't go rolling around on the patients living room floor. If I'm getting their bodily fluids on my shirt I'm doing something wrong already.
We don't have station laundry, and I can usually make 2 white shirts last 72-96 hours.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Depending on the area white is usually less "cop" looking. Last thing you want is to be mistaken for LE on scene.

Edit: look into a product called Bluing. It's an old school way of making yellowed ahirts look white. It's basically just blue dye. You put a few drops in the wash water and your dingy white shirts come out gleaming.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I worked for a couple of places with white shirts. They suck. OxyClean works, stay away from a lot of beach cuz it'll screw up your patches.
Keep a bottle.of peroxide in the truck to spot remove stains. (Especially blood)

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Depending on the area white is usually less "cop" looking. Last thing you want is to be mistaken for LE on scene.

Edit: look into a product called Bluing. It's an old school way of making yellowed ahirts look white. It's basically just blue dye. You put a few drops in the wash water and your dingy white shirts come out gleaming.

That is awesome!! I have that problem at home with my husband!

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I wear black class b's and we are always mistaken for cops.....

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd love to color code things.

Blue head-to-toe for police
Red head-to-toe for fire
Green head-to-toe for medical

Something like this...
https://www.spservices.co.uk/images/products/verylarge/1304951635pc401406.jpg

While we're at it, paint the rigs that color and use those colors for the lights on top.

Fire apparatus that will respond to medical calls will be all red, except the door inside which the paramedic sits will have green stripes or polka dots.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd love to color code things.

Blue head-to-toe for police
Red head-to-toe for fire
Green head-to-toe for medical

Something like this...
https://www.spservices.co.uk/images/products/verylarge/1304951635pc401406.jpg

While we're at it, paint the rigs that color and use those colors for the lights on top.

Fire apparatus that will respond to medical calls will be all red, except the door inside which the paramedic sits will have green stripes or polka dots.
That green is hedious. I would be displeased if I had to dress like a pickle everyday for work.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

That green is hedious. I would be displeased if I had to dress like a pickle everyday for work.

NOT if it was Olive Drab green. That's the best color in the absolute universe.

Kate22

Forum Probie

Agreed. I was picturing a more putrid, pickle green as I read Ishan's post, which is why I was originally opposed. But, olive green is nice.

If given the choice, navy blue is my favorite.

68322_1207941643436_full.jpg

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Not a fan of white shirts. Not a fan of the uniform shirts we wear now (baby blue). People have mistaken me from a fire explorer to a janitor. I like navy blue, around here the sheriffs dept. wears a khaki/tan shirt, local pd wears blue/black depending on the city, and fire wears navy blue.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
That's not a bad shade.. But the color green that was shown in the link was gawd awful.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Holy moly look who it is.

Also white shirts suck. I washed mine and took them to the tailor to get them taken in and they rejected them because they were too dirty. Some of that stuff just don't come out.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

We should petition our companies to issue olive green uniforms.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

With these in matching green or black shirts... I would dig it.