Which US Presidential Candidate is More Pro-EMS?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Neither Harris nor Trump has explicitly included EMS in their platforms.

Which do you think would do the most to support and advance EMS?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Neither.... EMS is, by all standards, a local issue. If you want to advance EMS, speak to your local elected leaders, or your state leadership.

Neither Harris or Trump will do anything to advance EMS, because the federal level has much bigger issues to worry about.

As for who is better for the US, I am not touching that 3rd rail.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Crime, immigration and social unrest all impact EMS.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Neither.... EMS is, by all standards, a local issue. If you want to advance EMS, speak to your local elected leaders, or your state leadership.

Neither Harris or Trump will do anything to advance EMS, because the federal level has much bigger issues to worry about.

That’s the sense I got when researching before posting.

Seemed to also be the case in 2020.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've never met anyone outside of EMS who cared about EMS for longer than 30 minutes.
Some of them only care until they get to the hospital

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Some of them only care until they get to the hospital
I found it interesting that I didn't notice any medics jumped in Trump's car after the Pennsylvania rally shooting.

Summit

Critical Crazy
5 minutes of googling revealed:

I found nothing for Harris, Trump, or Vance related to EMS.

Walz was the chair of the Congressional EMS Caucus.
Here is a NAEMT doc showing his work to recruit other members.

As governor Walz signed a $30M bill for MN rural EMS including $6M to support some kind of a Paramedic Fly program.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Walz was the chair of the Congressional EMS Caucus.
Here is a NAEMT doc showing his work to recruit other members.

As governor Walz signed a $30M bill for MN rural EMS including $6M to support some kind of a Paramedic Fly program.
Good catch, thanks posting.

The IAFF gave Vance a mixed reception.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The IAFF gave Vance a mixed reception.
To Vance's defense, he was in Boston Mass, a city that has a 6% of its residents who are Republicans, and is a Democratic strong hold, with the majority of residents being democrats. So if they cheered him it would have been news; booing him is simply business as usual.

The IAFF hasn't endorsed any candidate yet, but both candidates are going to try to get their endorsement.

One thing to keep in mind: there is a current US congressman who is a Retired Miami FL fire chief, and he's advocating for the union to endorse Trump.

and in 2020, the Philadelphia IAFF local endorsed Trump and when a vocal minority complained, the union confirmed the endorsement

the IAFF (and unions in general) have supported and endorsed democrats long before many of us were born, but that doesn't always mean they are advocating for the candidate who is best for the profession, but rather who would benefit the union members the best. Remember, the IAFF is only looking out for its member's best interests, not fire or EMS as a whole, nor do they represent the entire profession.

And I will repeat my initial statement:
EMS is, by all standards, a local issue. If you want to advance EMS, speak to your local elected leaders, or your state leadership.

E tank

Voting for someone solely on the criteria of what that presidential candidate will do for their own current, particular profession is pretty clueless...

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Voting for someone solely on the criteria of what that presidential candidate will do for their own current, particular profession is pretty clueless...
Huh?

Just trying to do my civic duty by knowing the candidates’ platforms so I can make informed decisions in a few months.

I’d say that no one votes for a candidate based on a single criteria, but my state had a legendary Commissioner of Labor largely as a result of her catchy name and picture in every elevator.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Nobody said they were a single issue voter on this. It was an interesting question.

For example, if a given candidate had previously pushed for mass imported foreign RN/APRN labor as a legislator, that might be a big deal to a RN/APRN considering whether to vote for them as an executive. (For clarity, that is an hypothetical as I'm not aware of any presidential/VP candidate who has).

EMS is, by all standards, a local issue.
That is because nobody has spearheaded making it a more national issue as it is in other countries. Declaring that it will never be anything but local is a rigid standpoint. One candidate was making EMS a national issue. I'm not saying you should vote for him solely based on that, but it is noteworthy. No idea why it was an issue of interest for him, but it is.

You can see nationally ignored issues suddenly become important when the President or VP thinks they should be. For example, when Sen. Kelly was considered to be a leading VP consideration, this was of great interest to people who think that space exploration and the USMA/MSC/USCG are major weakpoints of government focus. Why? Kelly is a graduate of the US Merchant Marine Academy, a naval combat pilot, and an actual astronaut with 4 missions and 54 days in space. Whoever is VP is automatically head of the National Space Council. So his background might have informed policy.

E tank

Huh?

Just trying to do my civic duty by knowing the candidates’ platforms so I can make informed decisions in a few months.

I’d say that no one votes for a candidate based on a single criteria, but my state had a legendary Commissioner of Labor largely as a result of her catchy name and picture in every elevator.
Perhaps the corollary is as true....not voting for someone solely because of what he/she won't do for their profession is clueless. The IAFF seems to lean one of those two ways...I couldn't care less about what a presidential candidate thinks about my job. That is a state's issue. What I care most about is the way he or she views the Constitution of the US. If I don't like either one, I vote against one, not for the other...

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I couldn't care less about what a presidential candidate thinks about my job.
I disagree. Initiatives like medicare for all, federal funding and grants, and strengthening disaster response can be influenced by the President's policies.

From memory, I think part of Biden's positive legacy on EMS would include his work to make naloxone and epi pens more available/affordable. His continued support of the Affordable Care Act hopefully allowed more Americans to access healthcare and reduced the dependence on EMS for routine complaints.

President Trump had the CARES Act in response to COVID and declared the opioid crisis a national public health emergency.

Obama rocked the boat with the ACA and GW Bush advanced EMS leaps and bounds following 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina.

In the post-COVID era it seems like EMS is on the brink of collapse. Reagan would see government assistance and regulation of EMS as the problem. During my lifetime it seems like increased government funding and cooperation following disasters advances EMS dramatically.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean, one party is generally more pro-Union, supports raising minimum wage, supports expanding healthcare access in general

The other party is promoting a platform that is anti-Union, thinks any suggestions of raising the minimum wage is "communism" (and wouldn't mind getting rid of minimum wage all together), and has consistently tried to cut healthcare access in the past, and their platform calls for *more* privatization... with their candidate explicitly telling those CEOs that he'll enact policies designed to increase their bank accounts...

Not hard to see which one is better for EMS (where, let's face it, if you're not in a Union, IAFF or other, many are indeed Minimum Wage, or barely above, employees)