Where to look for jobs

zero2hero

Forum Ride Along
I new to the EMS scene (will take the NREMT-P in a few weeks) and I am not quite sure where to start my job hunt. So far, I have been using the jems website but would like to consult a few more resources. I would like to stay in the western half of the U.S. but I am not too picky after that! Any suggestions about where to look/go? Thanks!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

I too spent far too much time searching online for EMT jobs. I found that there are certain professions that reliably post job opportunities online, and EMS isn't one of them. In addition to your online search, I'd suggest calling around.

Lastly, I'd be careful moving for an EMS position. I'd suggest finding a place you want to live for other reasons, and then finding a Paramedic position near the location.

I hope that helps!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
fieldmedics.com (10)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Check state EMS websites. For example, California State EMS Authority have a state wide job listing that includes both ambulance companies and fire departments as well as local EMSA openings.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/jobs/default.asp

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
911hotjobs.com

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Call around to your local services or walk in and ask for an application.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
First, welcome to EMTLife!

I too spent far too much time searching online for EMT jobs. I found that there are certain professions that reliably post job opportunities online, and EMS isn't one of them. In addition to your online search, I'd suggest calling around.

Lastly, I'd be careful moving for an EMS position. I'd suggest finding a place you want to live for other reasons, and then finding a Paramedic position near the location.

I hope that helps!

Wise words. I made that mistake by relocating for Charleston County EMS.

OP
OP
Z

zero2hero

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the help! Well, I am in this really awesome phase of my life that I am not tied to anything (not even a lease- who says being homeless is bad?) and am ready to move out of my home state. The sites you guys are throwing out there are sure to help. Thanks!

SemiMedic

Forum Probie
Whatever you do, don't try chicago. It's completely and utterly wretched up here. As soon as I can get custody of my daughter, the wifey and I are headin west. Either Washington, or Texas.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Both AMR and RuralMetro list job openings on their websites. From what I understand the gulf coast is still hurting for medics as they work on rebuilding.

Something to think about is what type of system you want to work in, and find a system that fits that. If you want to work for the primary 911 ambulance, make sure the system you are applying to is the primary 911 ambulance, and doesn't play second fiddle to the FD ambulance or something.