Where to go?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I feel ya man, have three jobs and work 80+hr weeks to make ends meet. If my fiance wasn't in school I would have moved along time ago. It's almost a no brainer to me. Plus you can freely carry a gun and defend yourself there :usa: unlike MD/Baltimore where the murder and violent crime rate is skyhigh and the only people who have firearms are the crooks.

Amen. VA has castle doctrine as well. You break into my house, I tell you to leave, you don't, I can shoot you, as long as it's not in the back. It's a joke. If enough people own a gun, there are less home invasions and car jackings. I used to live in Stafford County, VA. Not much goes on besides mailbox baseball. Lots of military and gov't workers, such as FBI agents and such.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
^^^ Smart dude right here, excellent post. What department are you working for?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice, I often considered applying in Northern VA but the commute with traffic would make me want to punch babies..

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Nice, I often considered applying in Northern VA but the commute with traffic would make me want to punch babies..

We start officially at 0700, but most of us get there by 0600, well ahead of traffic. My commute from out west is around an hour and fifteen minutes, is unmolested by traffic, and I have several options if 66 is jacked up. Oh yeah, 3200 sq. ft colonial, 5br, 2 1/2 bath, 1700 sq. ft basement, desireable area, 292k, total w/ insurance, taxes, and HOA around 1800 bucks a month (4 1/4%:)). We have people commuting from VA Beach, Baltimore, WV, two guys from NYC, and various affordable areas in VA, such as Stafford, Fredricksburgh, Gainesville/Bristow, Warrenton, Frederick Co/Winchester, Culpepper/Orange County, etc.

As a new FF/medic, you gey around 50k in the academy, 53k afterward with 4800/yr in ALS cert pay, 2-3 dollars/hr in riding pay as the ALS provider on the engine and medic unit respectively, holiday pay, night diff, and FLSA. You're getting well over 65k right off the bat, and a gimme promotion to EMS Technician in two years, for another 10%. Just sayin'

We can own guns, too.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Sounds like a great gig, and if I wasn't so set against the idea of working as a fire/medic, I'd be all over it.

It's just not something I'm interested in.

Now, where's that muni third service that pays medics 80k after 3 years? :p

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Sounds like a great gig, and if I wasn't so set against the idea of working as a fire/medic, I'd be all over it.

It's just not something I'm interested in.

Now, where's that muni third service that pays medics 80k after 3 years? :p

Somewhere in Canada, maybe?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I'm an American medic, so I'm obviously not qualified. :)

If you are a barely homeostasasing looser cookbook Parathinktheyare from the local patch factory for those with inadequate cerebral perfusion then yes otherwise not at all.

We have several American EMTP ("Intensive Care Paramedics") here.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I'll take a great service and a liveable wage. :)

(And please don't tell me Worcester Mass EMS!)

harryb714

Forum Crew Member

most wages are livable if you live within your means... and are single with zero children, don't mind living in a 2 bedroom apartment with 6 roommates and not interested in dating women with expensive taste

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

most wages are livable if you live within your means... and are single with zero children, don't mind living in a 2 bedroom apartment with 6 roommates and not interested in dating women with expensive taste

Yeah. I'm not 21 any longer. I'm a little beyond roomamtes and ramen noodles.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief

No, I was thinking further east.....why not Worcester? Never heard anything but positive about them.