Where on earth could an IFT ambulance be driving that it would need.....

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The fact your patient transfer service vehicles needs emergency lights is a bit worrying

I get the irony.

Unfortunately it is part of the problem in the US having patient transport fall under the auspices of EMS care.

In order to properly bill, the transport agency has to meet the criteria of an ambulance. Which is not different for emergencies or nonemergent transport.

Best described as outdated and inefficent, it is a complex issue that boils down to money.

The solution is rather simple, do not require by law an ambulance for patient transport and don't reimburse transport at anywhere near the level of an emergency ambulance. Infact I think it should be the same rate as a taxi, because that is really what it is.

You know the US system is filled with waste.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
You know deer are not rodents right? LOL

Yes they are. Rodent comes from the Latin word for gnaw. They sure gnaw my flowers and plants and such, so they must be rodents.

Approximately 40% of mammals are rodents. So since 40% of mammals around here are deer, they must be rodents.

And since you can have a rodent infestation, and we are infested with deer, they most be rodents.

/I love nonsense reverse logic.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Don't you guys read the news!

This ambulance was designed to wade through gaggles of birds, disoriented by fireworks, disease or lousy senses of directions that dive out of the sky into oblivion!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Or it's just a little cheaper to throw some paint on the brush guard than replace sheetmetal...

Sasha

Forum Chief
a brush guard on the front of it???????

2011-01-03_08-53-50_260.jpg

Anywhere a regular ambulance would have to go that they'd need a brush guard. How do you think those people get back home? Teleport? (God I wish they could! :p We never go 15 miles into the woods during daylight.)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I get the irony.

Unfortunately it is part of the problem in the US having patient transport fall under the auspices of EMS care.

In order to properly bill, the transport agency has to meet the criteria of an ambulance. Which is not different for emergencies or nonemergent transport.

Best described as outdated and inefficent, it is a complex issue that boils down to money.

The solution is rather simple, do not require by law an ambulance for patient transport and don't reimburse transport at anywhere near the level of an emergency ambulance. Infact I think it should be the same rate as a taxi, because that is really what it is.

You know the US system is filled with waste.

I agree with you in general, except for the rate. It should still be more than a taxi. Although many patients being transferred do not require medical care, some still need a stretcher, therefore they need two people. They also require a vehicle designed to carry the stretcher. So the expense of two staff persons plus a larger vehicle deserves a higher billing rate than a single person driving an ordinary car.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Powered stretchers can reduce the need for a second person quite a bit. Put them in one of those Spartan N.E.A.Ts with a power stretcher and a drvier and it would be the perfect bit

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Powered stretchers can reduce the need for a second person quite a bit. Put them in one of those Spartan N.E.A.Ts with a power stretcher and a drvier and it would be the perfect bit

True, but a powered stretcher, in my experience, isn't always as easy for one person to handle as the hype makes them seem. Also, if it fails, two people are going to be needed. Finally, they are a lot more expensive than regular stretchers, so again, the extra cost of equipment necessitates a higher billing rate than standard taxicab service.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes they are. Rodent comes from the Latin word for gnaw. They sure gnaw my flowers and plants and such, so they must be rodents.

Approximately 40% of mammals are rodents. So since 40% of mammals around here are deer, they must be rodents.

And since you can have a rodent infestation, and we are infested with deer, they most be rodents.

/I love nonsense reverse logic.

That was awesome. BTW, if you spray orange oil (orange extract) on your gardens it may help to cut down on the deer problem. I know several people who have used it with good results. Apparently the deer don't like the smell.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
We never go 15 miles into the woods during daylight

You do it a lot at night then?

Sasha

Forum Chief
You do it a lot at night then?

I've done it about four times so far. Each time was scarier than the last. The first time I couldn't believe anyone actually lived that far into the woods and was convinced they were leading us out there to kill us and hide our bodies.

Apparently Florida has a lot of farm country.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah....especially the northern part.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah....especially the northern part.

Yup, it's usually a pretty long transport and they don't schedule it til like 5pm so by the time we actually get out there it's pitch dark and I'm in the back listening for banjos.

The families have so far been merciful enough to let us follow them out. GPS's don't pick those places up!

Tanker299

Forum Probie
by the time we actually get out there it's pitch dark and I'm in the back listening for banjos.

Thanks, now my wife thinks I'm completely mad for laughing out loud at this while having breakfast. :wacko:

Bon-Tech

Forum Crew Member
It's the new GARDA/Ambo conversion. They don't want their EMT's just sittin' around waiting for a call, so they have them pick up cash around town to keep the dept. going.

Very popular also in Newark and in Detroit.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Almost every ambulance in MT has a bumber guard of some sort, the full brush guards are popular in the areas where its 20-30 miles of dirt roads to get to some pt's and 60+ to the nearest care facility.

As for the emergency lights on a txfr rig, we also don't differentiate between a 911 rig and a txfr rig here, all of our rigs have to be ready for any type of call.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
The fact your patient transfer service vehicles needs emergency lights is a bit worrying

I work for IFT and we handle more than just the run of the mill dialysis calls. We get 911 roll overs, emergency responses to our contract facilities, last week a guy rear ended a on his motorcycle going around 45 mph and sent himself flying in front my ambulance. The patient I had with the 64/40 BP or the code I worked the other day definitely needed emergency lights. We're not New Orleans EMS or anything but we're not taxi drivers either.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I work for IFT and we handle more than just the run of the mill dialysis calls. We get 911 roll overs, emergency responses to our contract facilities, last week a guy rear ended a on his motorcycle going around 45 mph and sent himself flying in front my ambulance. The patient I had with the 64/40 BP or the code I worked the other day definitely needed emergency lights. We're not New Orleans EMS or anything but we're not taxi drivers either.

People don't understand that not all IFT companies do dialysis transfer after dialysis transfer. We get some pretty awesome calls. And you've got an emergency transfer and flight's not flying... Who you gonna call? Ghost bus----I mean IFT.
And IFT trucks seem to be a magnet for accidents to happen in front of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why do you think my old partner nicknamed me "The Swirling Vortex of Doom"?

I am a vortex of doom sometimes. Othertime's i'm as white as a ghost.