Where is the money in private EMS?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I visited an ambulance outfitter's facebook page and noticed post after post of deliveries to newly formed ambulance services.

Where is the big money in private EMS? I can't think of anyone, from EMT to CEO in private EMS that are making bank.

Am I missing something?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
CEOs and owners make the money, esp if they have a big IFT business... you might not be rich, but you will live comfortably, especially if you have a big fleet and lots of contracts to ensure a steady revenue stream.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
CEOs and owners make the money, esp if they have a big IFT business... you might not be rich, but you will live comfortably, especially if you have a big fleet and lots of contracts to ensure a steady revenue stream.
Admin staff. At my last job, all of the senior leadership team made very good money.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There’s money in it…PE firms are pretty selective.

If I had to guess, agree with the above - executives aren’t hurting by any means.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The money is all in volume. That's why the small services are all gone, no matter what a good job they may have done.

When you only net a hundred bucks or so per run, the only way to make good money is to do LOTS of runs and keep your costs (salary, ambulance upgrades, equipment, training) low.

It isn't any different in the hospitals. Same exact factors at play.

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
I visited an ambulance outfitter's facebook page and noticed post after post of deliveries to newly formed ambulance services.

Where is the big money in private EMS? I can't think of anyone, from EMT to CEO in private EMS that are making bank.

Am I missing something?
Here's the recent developments in new revenue gereration for EMS Providers.

One hurdle that I see is that Agencies/Departments will now have to create, (or subcontract), a separate Billing Department.

I also foresee a Time Audit requirement that will bill by the 1/4 hr for Time/Services Rendered On-Scene.

It'll be slow and difficult during the start-up phase, but you should see large, long term increases in revenue and overall added financial stability.
CMS Promotes Community Paramedicine in Medicare and Medicaid