Where do you want to be in 5 years?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
This is more directed at the younger crowd, but hey, if your goals are more in line with being happily retired, feel free to chime in. What do you want to accomplish in the next 5 years?

(My response to follow when I have more time.)

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Medical school year two!! I hope!!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Working Ambulance again (preferably with one company in mind)...

Have my Medic or something more...

Still playing Team Leader for SAR, with special emphasis on Search Management, Canine Handling, and Special Rescue (just advancing the Ropes, Swiftwater, and Helo stuff I do now).

Working on instructor stuff (wilderness EMS, survival, etc.)... something I enjoy...

Being happy with what I have, even if that is just a "lowly" (but well educated and experienced) EMT on Ambo... but loving life and having time to do all the things I love; which is something too many people put on the back burner trying to advance themselves in a secular way, only to realize years latter that they never had enough fun...

Last edited by a moderator:

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Hopefully, a fire department. That or the red light district of Tokyo, wasting money on some gal.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Since it's too late for me to edit...

-Have my bachelor's.
-Be well into gradschool.
-Be a medic.
-Maybe be a firefighter.
-Have a lot more technical rescue stuff.

Simusid

Forum Captain
In 5 years I want to be NOT burned out and as positive as I am now.

I'll still be an EMT-B though. No plans for medic.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Hopefully doing my Intensive Care post-grad diploma and/or a PhD in paramedic studies with the intention of teaching.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
An older, but newbies 5 year plan....

Well, I am in my early 40's and I have an establised career in a hospital as a program manager, so that is the basis of my 5 year plan. Unless the bottom falls out of my day job, Fire/Rescue will always be my free contribution to my community.

I hope to add to this EMT-B, FF1 and FF2.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Finishing up a BSN and landing a job in a NICU, working on the experience required to get on the mobile NICU. That would make me the happiest sasha ever

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Paramedic, RRT.
Hopefully finishing up my BS.
Married, Kids, Nice house, 2.5 pets, great job, and a pool table.
that is all.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Five years..... I'm deciding between pursuing a degree for ASN, RRT, EMS Admin, Business Admin, and fire secience. I'm likely going for either RN or RT first, whichever is more career friendly with regards to time management. This will serve as a great option for well compensated side work. If I go out on permanent disability, I'll still be able to work FT. Next is likely fire science, since it's easy, online, and recommended before promotion to All-Hazards Lt. After that, probably EMS admin, as I'm aiming to go that route career wise within the dept at some point.

I'm eligible for promotion to technician (EMS, trot, apparatus, or Hazmat) after two years of service. I'll take either the EMS or apparatus test, whichever comes first. It doesn't matter which one, as I'm essentially performing the same function as a basic FFM, but for 10% higher hourly rate.

We'll have a house, we'll pay as much into the principal as possible, and tap the equity when the housing market improves and buy another to serve as a rental. Repeat as conditions allow. Let someone else pay my mortgage, as I've been doing for others my entire working life. Owning real estate is the best hedge against inflation available.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
In 5 years, I hope that I will:
Have my 4-year degree
Either be in the recruitment process (or actually be hired on) with Boston EMS

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is it wrong to say, "I have no idea"? One one hand, I am a college student, with no idea what he wants to do with his nondescript major, on the other, I feel like I have been bitten by the EMS bug, and not sure what to do with it. I would love to go to medic school, but i'm not sure how/when. I would love to go to medical school, but so far, on principal, I have refused to take orgo. That may change soon. I see myself becoming an RT or PA, working directly with patients, how I just dont know.
I sincerely hope in five years I do not find myself burnt out, and know that even if I take time off, EMS will always be there for me. At least for now, I have a great job, i'm working on a good education, and have strong support from family and friends.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Ah, I have a better plan. I'm hoping to go to medic school next Fall. Therefore, if I don't get on a fire department after medic school and working as a medic. I'll just revert to back to anthropology and biology and open a women only, 24-hour, bath house in Japan. I'll utulize my EMS skills, if required, and do a study on mating practices of Japanese women. It can be done, anything is possible. I've dated a doctor, at my little EMT level.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedic.
Still researching to see if my dream job is even possible though. So pending thats a go... a paramedic AT my dream job. ^_^