where are the jobs?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm vaguely considering taking my medical freak show on the road. trouble is, i don't know which direction to point the car in.

so tell me about your neck of the woods.

are there EMT jobs readily available or is it a 50 apps for one job type of place?

is the pay decent(decent here having the meaning of one person can live reasonably on the pay in your area)?

do they offer individual state reciprocity or nremt only?

how about things like rent etc?

whats it like to live and work in __________________?

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm vaguely considering taking my medical freak show on the road. trouble is, i don't know which direction to point the car in.

are there EMT jobs readily available or is it a 50 apps for one job type of place?

is the pay decent(decent here having the meaning of one person can live reasonably on the pay in your area)?

What kinda car Kev? :p

If you move to Canada you can make $20 - $35/hr as BLS. (Depending on where you live.)
Other than that.. I have no idea about the states lol

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
What kinda car Kev? :p

If you move to Canada you can make $20 - $35/hr as BLS. (Depending on where you live.)
Other than that.. I have no idea about the states lol

yeah but is canada going to extend reciprocity to a american emt(mass)?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Basics here are a dime.... sorry... penny a dozen. Unfortunately, getting a good one is hard. Paramedics on the other hand is very hard and again it is much harder to obtain a good one as well.
R/ r911

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah but is canada going to extend reciprocity to a american emt(mass)?

Well you could take a upgrade course to be registered (talking about BC only, not to sure about other places) then challenge the test and the licensing board test.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You are welcome in Florida and the NREMT is used at the EMT level. But, get a FF cert and keep it up to date.

Florida still has a few EMS only services such as Lee County EMS that offer good pay and benefits. However, the cost of living is higher than some parts of the country. There is also no guarantee that Fire will not eventually take over the remaining EMS services.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I almost forgot an important point. If you apply for a FD in Florida, they prefer you to have your Paramedic at the time of application (or merger/consolidation) or at least be able to obtain the cert within one year of hire.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member

-Lots of EMS jobs in the New Orleans metro area. EMT-B, EMT-I, paramedic...you name it. No problem finding medic work here. Your options for 911 are the municipal EMS service for Orleans Parish, a couple of suburban hospital-based services, and the ubiquitous (in Louisiana, at least) Acadian Ambulance in a few other nearby suburban areas. There are, of course, several private services that cover the nonemergent sector as well.

-Current starting pay at the municipal third-service provider I work for: EMT-B $16.12/hr, EMT-I $16.94/hr, and EMT-P $21.18/hr. Longevity raises occur after your first year, then every 5 years after that. This rate is higher than that of the other area services thanks to a recent raise approval by the city council, so consequently app numbers are high right now with us. Cost of living is probably in the moderate range (used to be inexpensive till Katrina whammed us). You should be able to get by on these pay rates, especially if you like to work overtime.

-LA is an NREMT state.

-New Orleans: Third World and Proud of It. You either love it or hate it. I could go on for days about what it's like here, but really...you just have to find out for yourself.

Have fun gettin' your roam on. B)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I almost forgot an important point. If you apply for a FD in Florida, they prefer you to have your Paramedic at the time of application (or merger/consolidation) or at least be able to obtain the cert within one year of hire.

A lot of FDs are so desperate for Medics right now that they'll hire you as just a medic and give you three years to get your fire cert, and pay for it.

OCFD is like that.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A lot of FDs are so desperate for Medics right now that they'll hire you as just a medic and give you three years to get your fire cert, and pay for it.

OCFD is like that.

That would be one of the very few that are like that with the exception of those involved in a consolidation/merger or takeover where they are giving the displaced private or county Paramedics 3 years to get their FF cert. Majority of the new hires go straight through the academy.

Many FDs have an abundance of applications such as Miami (South Florida) which had 6000 with a large majority of them being Paramedics from FMTI or some other "high quality institution" of training. Most know they must already have their Paramedic to increase their chance of hire. Many from the medic mills come to the hospitals to do their clinicals and announce they just want to be a FF thinking they'll have an easy clinical. Most do get an easy clinical because the hospital staff is too afraid to allow them near the patients.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Orlando City FD?

Orange County FD?

Osceola County FD?

Okeechobbe County FD?

Okaloosa County FD?

:) :) :)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Kev. I'm not sure what level you are. If you are a "Basic" you are unlikly to get a job in Canada. You won't in Nova Scotia. A basic is about the same as our MFR. If you are a paramedic however you can challenge our provincial test. If you go here "http://www.gov.ns.ca/ehs/paramedics.htm" There is some information on registration here in Nova Scotia. Just above it are some "Comparison Templates". You can use these to compare your level of training and practice to what is required here. If you think your current training etc. is similar to ours you can ask your medical director to sign off on it. Then you can send it to our medical director for an evaluation. If he accepts it as being comparable then you would be registered at the appropriate level.

Our neighbouring province of New Brunswick is currently hiring PCPs and have recently hired two from England. I know you have to register with the Paramedic Association of New Brunswick first, (www.panb.ca). Then send an application to Ambulance New Brunswick, (http://www.ambulancenb.ca/anbwebs.nsf/Home?OpenForm). Full time PCP's make about $21.00/hr.

Then you just have to deal with Canadian immigration. You are on your own there as I don't know how to help you with that.

I believe Boston is about a 5 - 6 hour drive from the NB - US border.

Hope this helps. If you need more info send me a message.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
You might be able to get a job in Alberta as an EMR or Manitoba as a Technician. You wouldn't be working in a 911 service in a city in Alberta as they only hire EMT's and Paramedics. You could find employment in a rural community's ambulance or in the oil fields where an EMR to my understanding makes anywhere from 200 to 300 a day (depending on the company).

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I was thinking about this as well when I graduated from my paramedic course. I'd like to move away from my home city and experience somewhere else for a change. Still a couple years away though ;)

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Orlando City FD?

Orange County FD?

Osceola County FD?

Okeechobbe County FD?

Okaloosa County FD?

:) :) :)

OCFRD. ;)

Orlando has always just been OFD.

They kicked the buffoons at R/M outta Orange County, so they just got Orlando left. From what I am hearing (fairly reliable sources) OFD is looking to add 50 or so new FMs per year for the next 3-4 years. Me thinks I might just go back to Fla after all......

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Many FDs have an abundance of applications such as Miami (South Florida) which had 6000 with a large majority of them being Paramedics from FMTI or some other "high quality institution" of training. Most know they must already have their Paramedic to increase their chance of hire. Many from the medic mills come to the hospitals to do their clinicals and announce they just want to be a FF thinking they'll have an easy clinical. Most do get an easy clinical because the hospital staff is too afraid to allow them near the patients.

Ain't that the sad truth?

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Depends on what you want to do, where you want to live. Busy city, or far out rural. Two main ambulance services out here, AMR and Metro-West (and their various spawn.) Basic? 10 to 15 bucks an hour, not doing much of any fun stuff (industrial health, wheelchair vans, gofer on a rig.) Paramedic? tops out about 20 bucks an hour, with fire folks doing better, but that's fire. Reciprocity is easy with the medics, but they want you to have 3 terms of A&P (Oregon being an AA degree/medic State.) Basics easier than that, just find someone to stick for sub.Q and a couple of other things.
Rent? Cheap in the Portland area is $600 a month for an apartment, I have no idea what normal people eat so I couldn't guess what groceries go for regular stuff (I eat mostly organic, locally grown sustainable stuff...excepting Cheetos. It costs a lot more than "regular" food, I spend about $300 a month to feed my hubby and myself and our two pups...I don't know what average is around here.)
Entertainment? I go hang out outdoors, so I don't know what would be normal prices around here. Movies cost like $10 in the fancy places, but I hit them in the brewpub theaters for $3. We've got more brewpub theaters than you can shake a stick at.

Can you make a living at EMT stuff out here? Um, yes, but every single EMT person I know does something in addition to ambulance work to get by.
AMR seems to always be hiring, and all the students I meet seem to find a spot for themselves after a while.
You kind of have to want to make it out here...and the Northwest can get on people's nerves after a while. You could come here and feel like you are home at last, or you could come here and think "Deliverance 2" should be filmed down the street from you. Hard to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh for :censored::censored::censored::censored:s sake. You'd really think that somebody who is from Oregon would actually know what the requirements are for reciprocity. But apparently you'd be wrong.

http://egov.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/recip.shtml
http://egov.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/educate.shtml#degree

Most salient part:
Beginning July 1, 1999, a person applying for initial certification as an EMT-Paramedic must present evidence that he/she possesses at least an associate level degree from an accredited institution of higher learning that includes course work equivelant to the uniform associate of applied science degree in emergency medical technology "AAS-EMT" as approved by the State Board of Education and offered by Oregon's Community Colleges.