when is it necessary to...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Then the logical conclusion is that anyone who doesn't wear gloves in public is a fool too. 'Healthy' people have germs too afterall.

If you want to take it that far, be my guest.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, do you know what the last 5 people to walk open the door at a commercial venue (say, a 7-11) had? When the last time the door was really cleaned? Same goes for the last 5 people who handled the dollar bills in your wallet. Why bet on them and bet against all patients?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, do you know what the last 5 people to walk open the door at a commercial venue (say, a 7-11) had? When the last time the door was really cleaned? Same goes for the last 5 people who handled the dollar bills in your wallet. Why bet on them and bet against all patients?

Good point. Let's just throw PPE out the window.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Good point. Let's just throw PPE out the window.

False dichotomy. Should systems that practice selective spinal immobilization just not immobilize anyone then?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
False dichotomy. Should systems that practice selective spinal immobilization just not immobilize anyone then?

Are you saying that we should pick and choose which patients we wear gloves with, and not use them during all patient contact?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Do you pick and choose which patients get oxygen? Spinal immbolization?

Yes. I say that just the rest of the PPE, glove use should be based on (or a better wording, discontinued based on) the providers assessment of the situation. Do you wear goggles, N-95, and a gown on every patient contact or is the decision to use those aspects of PPE based on an assessment of the patient?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you pick and choose which patients get oxygen? Spinal immbolization?

Yes. I say that just the rest of the PPE, glove use should be based on (or a better wording, discontinued based on) the providers assessment of the situation. Do you wear goggles, N-95, and a gown on every patient contact or is the decision to use those aspects of PPE based on an assessment of the patient?

Additional PPE is based upon my assessment of the situation. Gloves are a minimum on all calls.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...but you don't know if the patient coughs. What if you catch something because the patient unexpectedly coughs and you weren't wearing a mask?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
...but you don't know if the patient coughs. What if you catch something because the patient unexpectedly coughs and you weren't wearing a mask?

I get where you're going, and it doesn't matter. I'm still going to wear gloves during every call.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ok... and I'm not saying you aren't. Especially if you aren't using latex, you won't -harm- a patient wearing gloves. On the other hand, I'm not going to condone giving someone a hard time if they take a BP without gloves on.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok... and I'm not saying you aren't. Especially if you aren't using latex, you won't -harm- a patient wearing gloves. On the other hand, I'm not going to condone giving someone a hard time if they take a BP without gloves on.

It's a personal choice. However, it's my opinion that you should wear them during all patient contact.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
i agree with medic 417 when youve worked on an ambulance for awhile you learn when you need gloves and when you dont need gloves....im pretty sure you dont go around everywhere wearing gloves...its a personal choice that you make

Hmm funny all the people I have ever run with at my service wears gloves for EVERY patient BEFORE we make patient contact.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant

Well since you could be exposed to someone else's saliva on a door handle I guess we can do away with pocket masks and BVMs too.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
The Breaks...

Okay, in my opinion, it is never your job as an EMT to "crack down" on another EMT of equal rank/responsibility. Educate, provide constructive criticism, request compliance with known directives, etc... are all acceptable, however a "crack down" is above your paygrade, over stepping your boundaries, and you may be "cracked back" simply because you have assumed more responsibility than you are granted and may handle. I've seen this usually from "sophomoric" providers who truely live up to the meaning of "wise fool." Give a provider 6mo-12mo and a few hundred patients, they think they know it all, yet another year, and they realize how much they didn't know. Yes, I was one of those as well, and I was reminded to step back into my preassigned place. Having moved on to management, I am able to look back and see the error of my particular ways, and while I thought I was helping, I was actually hindering the learning process.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't wear gloves when touching a patient, you're a fool. End of story.
Actually you demonstrate ignorance (used in a respectful tone) of the function of the integumentary system, of microbiology, and of the proper use of PPE if you use gloves on every patient. HotelCo, I see a pattern in your postings on this forum and they are generally negative and rarely supported by facts. Your post is just the kind of post that causes tempers to flare and results in a locked thread where we could have otherwise had intelligent discussion and carried the thread to a proper end. Why call others a fool? I think that we would all have a friendlier conversation if we were face to face in a bar :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually you demonstrate ignorance if you use gloves on every patient. HotelCo, I see a pattern in your postings on this forum and they are generally negative and rarely supported by facts.

You must be confusing ignorance for caution!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually you demonstrate ignorance if you use gloves on every patient. HotelCo, I see a pattern in your postings on this forum and they are generally negative and rarely supported by facts.

Because most of my posts are opinions. :)

Perhaps I'm a negative person? I don't know. lol

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually you demonstrate ignorance of the function of the integumentary system, of microbiology, and of the proper use of PPE if you use gloves on every patient. HotelCo, I see a pattern in your postings on this forum and they are generally negative and rarely supported by facts. Your post is just the kind of post that causes tempers to flare and results in a locked thread where we could have otherwise had intelligent discussion and carried the thread to a proper end.

Well, I apologize if I am causing tempers to flare. I certainly don't mean to start and fights. I also try not to beat around the bush when it comes to my views.

I'm probably religious about wearing gloves during patient contact because I often have cuts and scrapes on my hands.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You must be confusing ignorance for caution!

No. The skin is designed as our first defensive line against infection. The multiple layers protect our insides, and sebum is slightly acidic and destroys pathogens. Tears and saliva contain enzymes which battle pathogens as well. The use of gloves on every patient drives up costs for your service and wastes supplies, increases your own risk of an allergy, makes patients feel like aliens, and is just unnecessary.