When does Los Angeles county bids renew???

RandoMedic

Forum Probie
Yeah, Redondo is a bit wierd. Like LACo they respond an Engine and Rescue to each scene as well as calling us, and use their Rescue like a Squad. Except instead of a pickup truck, it's a fully transport capable ALS box ambulance. Except an ALS call they'll still load the patient up in our ambulance and one of their medics will hop on just like County. I've heard they'll only transport their own FFs and other City employees, or if it's a true "load and go" situation and we have some crazy extended ETA. So they do transport but only once in a Blue Moon apparently.

Yea I think it's redondo or manhattan beach where you guys will be the ALS provider because one of these guys don't staff a full 24 ALS.

Torrance is going the same way. A few years back all their Rescues were squad type pickup trucks, now two of them are full ALS ambulances with plans to fully switch over.
Other than that, we run with them largely the same way we run with County.

Any word when TFD going with their own transports?

So far we only respond into Compton when they call us for backup BLS unit, so hopefully if we do takeover it'll be the same way as County or Redondo or Torrance, and go on everything out there.....

Yea man I am sure you'll get Compton. It would only make sense since you guys cover the surrounding areas. Yea we are like second in the line that Compton calls for back up.

heck maybe we can just go in house and have McCormick crews working their BLS ambulances in station? Isn't that similar to the La Habra Ambulance? I've always wondered how that worked with Care....

I am not sure how that works but I guess that LACoFD is contracted privately or something for La Habra. They have this plan for citizens for La Habra that if they pay some amount per year, they don't put for anything else. So yea it is pretty much like that.
I would be great if the 24 hour stations can be in house or something.

Yeah Schaefer currently runs for Monrovia FD. I used to work for Glendale, and they're on the same Verdugo dispatch as Monrovia, I can still hear the "BEEP BEEP BEEP, Engine 101, Squad 101, Schaefer Ambulance..Chest Pain...." (Same with Montebello's "Paramedic Engine 55, Care Ambulance....." I've heard Vernon FD went on Verdugo dispatch now, and Care runs with them right?)

Yea Vernon is on Verdugo and supposedly Bowers was their primary back up. Not sure how that was or if it was true but ima guess since they are gone, we have been getting the VFD calls.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea Vernon is on Verdugo and supposedly Bowers was their primary back up. Not sure how that was or if it was true but ima guess since they are gone, we have been getting the VFD calls.
Bowers was NOT the back up but the actual provider after amr left. Vernon than hired Bowers medics to serve as VFD medics. They than used bowers for both als and bls transport due to 1 medic on an engine and 1 single rider medic. The box they use is a retired Bowers mod. If the medics of vfd were busy and no medic available from Bowers, they would call in LA co fd. The station for Bowers was in house at the fire house, rigs parked in back. When Rural Metro bought Bowers, they pulled out of Vernon a year before they shut down due to it not being in RM's business plan. In other words, were fileing bankruptcy and don't know whats going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

wtferick

Forum Captain
Bowers was NOT the back up but the actual provider after amr left. Vernon than hired Bowers medics to serve as VFD medics. They than used bowers for both als and bls transport due to 1 medic on an engine and 1 single rider medic. The box they use is a retired Bowers mod. If the medics of vfd were busy and no medic available from Bowers, they would call in LA co fd. The station for Bowers was in house at the fire house, rigs parked in back. When Rural Metro bought Bowers, they pulled out of Vernon a year before they shut down due to it not being in RM's business plan. In other words, were fileing bankruptcy and don't know whats going to happen.

Thanks for sharing!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thanks for sharing!
And before Bowers, guess what?

Twas AMR who supplied their paramedics. Bowers sucked up a couple of their paramedics but I think they all left eventually for other endeavors.

We, every blue moon ran calls with them. A slow department (mostly industrial obviously) and funny bunch they were. For you see they were "single role paramedics". The LA County world was their proverbial oyster to impress many a young and gullible techs..(inserts LOL here).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Also, a bit of advice if I may to any, and all new and impressionable young techs:

Instead of focusing on "fire calls" as you call them (yup, I memurrr), and L/S calls, or the history and lore that this county brings, why not focus on whatever your end goals are.

That county sadly is mostly a relic of what could have, but unfortunately probably never will be.

So if your goal is fire, law, med school, lawyer, WHATEVER, don't get too caught up in the "fascination" with the "Johnny and Roy" days. It does nothing for YOU as a career-minded individual, nor does it do anything for the professions attempts at progress.

Though, I must admit I do enjoy reminiscing of the days and fun times I had there, it's just sad it never changed, and probably never will.

Memories are nice, but insignificant in the grander scheme of a career or profession built on progress.

As usual, hope this helps, even just one young impressionable soul, cheers.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
don't get too caught up in the "fascination" with the "Johnny and Roy" days.

And if you do, just watch old reruns of Emergency! and you'll notice that 1970's LACo is virtually the same as 2016 LACo.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
IMG_2167.JPG
And if you do, just watch old reruns of Emergency! and you'll notice that 1970's LACo is virtually the same as 2016 LACo.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Mccormick got Compton and retained what they already had.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Mccormick got Compton and retained what they already had.

Yup....except when they redrew the zones, County added Paramount to our area so we get that as well, plus Compton, plus word is we'll also get Hermosa Beach when they transfer to County Fire (we already staff a Paramedic ambulance for them when they can't staff their own due to staffing issues) and otherwise like you said keep all our other areas (though Redondo Beach is talking about going internal next year...possibly Torrance as well in the near future, but we'll see about that, they've supposedly been talking about that ever since, possibly even before, Gerber folded and went out of business a few years back)

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That county sadly is mostly a relic of what could have, but unfortunately probably never will be.

My paramedic textbook had a paragraph that blamed 'Emergency' for most of the negative dogma and the public's misconceptions of modern EMS.
#funfact.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
My paramedic textbook had a paragraph that blamed 'Emergency' for most of the negative dogma and the public's misconceptions of modern EMS.
#funfact.

LOL!!!!!!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
#funfact.

Yet our former company "training coordinator" pissed and moaned about the "neighboring county to the south" while proudly displaying his LACoFD "Squad 51" helmet:rolleyes:...sure.

pl8guy

Forum Ride Along
The rumor going around is appeals have been filed and the current contract is being extended to may. Any truth to this? I remember in '06 the same thing happened and McCormick ended up taking an EOA originally awarded to AMR.