When does a Paramedic not resuscitate a patient?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Also: Your red buttons work?

Our red buttons work great! Especially since we have a decent concentration of PD in my area

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our red buttons do a whole lot of nothing. They're not programmed. :angry:

Yep. They don't even go over the red buttons in orientation or anytime. For fire about 1/2 of their radios have working buttons. And police all of them are good to go.

medic417

The Truth Provider
What are these radios you speak of? Is this some kind of black magic?

City medics are spoiled. Handheld will not reach the repeaters in my area, heck the truck radio doesn't reach it many places.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What are these radios you speak of? Is this some kind of black magic?

City medics are spoiled. Handheld will not reach the repeaters in my area, heck the truck radio doesn't reach it many places.

We have repeaters in the unit so it boosts the signal. Get too far away from the unit and well you won't be using them lol

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My point being that a scene can be more then it seems. Obviously your town is different then mine because people here don't say gun shot to the dispatcher.
really? you don't have people calling to report a shooting? heck, once I took a 911 call from a person who said they were just shot in the abdomen. was definitely a first for me.
so PD has no reason to respond to a medical call (at least in this area unless we request them). Refusing to do CPR is a form of disrespect in some peoples eyes. I have been threated on scene with "save my momma or else you are the one thats gonna need to be saved".
and if that threat is made, than you work them, carry them out to the ambulance and transport. I would do the exact same thing. but I don't think refusing to do CPR on someone who is obviously dead is as big of an insult as you think, especially if you explain to the friends/family that there is nothing you can do.
Yes that was taught in EMT class. But its not exactly easy to slip out of the house without anyone noticing you. let alone someone asking you what you are grabbing from your bag. and calling for PD while on scene???? down here that is asking for someone to try to kill you. (if we ask for assistance from police we normally get one or two units. we only have a total of 33 officers for a population of 40,000+).
I guess middle of nowhere California is a lot different than the inner city. you don't always sneak out unnoticed, but if your safety is threatened, do what you need to do.
In an ideal world thats how it works. sometimes we cancel fire because they will have another call. and once again if someone wants to pull out a gun they will.
so you have a cardiac arrest, which you work to the hospital because you fear for your safety, and you cancel the fire crew that is there to help you because they have another call? why not just keep them there to do CPR, to help carry, and to watch your back? sounds like poor judgement on your part. or maybe you just don't want to get crap from the FD because you have to do do EMS and they don't want to.
uhhh im confused here. i said you wont know until you arrive on scene. and yeah i know its not rocket science.... i never said it was. You do things how you do them in your area and i will do them how we do them over here................... its not rocket science that our two areas are vastly different :rolleyes:
hmmm, I have never been afraid for my life when working a cardiac arrest (well, outside of a traumatic arrest where the trauma was still flying and we got caught in the middle of it), and I have never cancelled another resource when I needed them to make sure I was safe, regardless of what was happening. Plus, you work in the middle of nowhere California, and I work in an urban ghetto, one ranked in the top 25 most dangerous cities in the US.

I guess your right, our areas are vastly different.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
really? you don't have people calling to report a shooting? heck, once I took a 911 call from a person who said they were just shot in the abdomen. was definitely a first for me. and if that threat is made, than you work them, carry them out to the ambulance and transport. I would do the exact same thing. but I don't think refusing to do CPR on someone who is obviously dead is as big of an insult as you think, especially if you explain to the friends/family that there is nothing you can do.I guess middle of nowhere California is a lot different than the inner city. you don't always sneak out unnoticed, but if your safety is threatened, do what you need to do.so you have a cardiac arrest, which you work to the hospital because you fear for your safety, and you cancel the fire crew that is there to help you because they have another call? why not just keep them there to do CPR, to help carry, and to watch your back? sounds like poor judgement on your part. or maybe you just don't want to get crap from the FD because you have to do do EMS and they don't want to.
hmmm, I have never been afraid for my life when working a cardiac arrest (well, outside of a traumatic arrest where the trauma was still flying and we got caught in the middle of it), and I have never cancelled another resource when I needed them to make sure I was safe, regardless of what was happening. Plus, you work in the middle of nowhere California, and I work in an urban ghetto, one ranked in the top 25 most dangerous cities in the US.

I guess your right, our areas are vastly different.

I clearly said "sometimes we cancel fire". If it's an arrest then no we don't cancel them. The fire medic will normally hop in the back of the rig. But if we arrive on scene first for a broken leg then yes we will cancel fire. We have one ambulance for the city and the next city over has 2 ambulances (one medic unit and one BLS). So if we keep fire on scene for a call that two EMS workers can handle easily then what's the point of keeping fire there? It's literally a waste of time for them. They let EMS take over when we arrive on scene and they can't leave until they get cleared by us. Hmmmmmmm having them sitting on the engine talking or having them cleared so that they can run to another medical call. That's a simple choice for me.
If I feel unsafe then I will do what I have to. If that means working an arrest and say we are going to the hospital then that's what I am going to do. My safety comes before anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I clearly said "sometimes we cancel fire". If it's an arrest then no we don't cancel them.
the thread topic is about Paramedic's and not resuscitating patients. That implies that all content (except when expressly noted) is about the thread topic.

since you are not staying on topic, I am going to just leave you with your own thoughts, since further discussion will not get either of us anywhere