When did you become an adult?

medic417

The Truth Provider
I notice that while I have for the most part become an adult and matured, I have several child like qualities that I retain. I don't think it's any fun to completely "grow up".

Oh grow up you big baby.:ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

piranah

Forum Captain
160 for undergrad and approx 100 for med school thats not exact...all depends on many factors..

medic417

The Truth Provider
160 for undergrad and approx 100 for med school thats not exact...all depends on many factors..

Does that include living expenses? Heck with that amount I could have retired on a small island I know of and never worked again..... "Wastin away again in margaritaville.........."

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

160 thousand dollars for a bachelor's degree?

This may be your problem.

Only 20 thousand a year for med school? This number seems off too.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Who says human intellect is superior? Every animal that suckles it's young teaches said young to feed themselves and weans them BEFORE the teat drys up. It's called self-sufficiency and is a prerequisite to survival. Unfortunately the "superior intellect" has created a populace of ticks and leeches, parasites that cling to the host and suck the life blood out of it.

Someone posted this on another forum that was discussing gov't entitlement programs. I feel that it's relevant to this discussion as well.

clibb

Forum Captain
Same here, but apparently that is because Brown is a blind bugger :D

Brown didn't have much of a childhood either, hence why Brown wants better for his kids. Whenever they come along. Have to ask Mrs Brown about that one.

And your kids are going to talk like this, too?

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Who says human intellect is superior? Every *other* animal that suckles it's young teaches said young to feed themselves and weans them BEFORE the teat drys up. It's called self-sufficiency and is a prerequisite to survival. Unfortunately the "superior intellect" has created a populace of ticks and leeches, parasites that cling to the host and suck the life blood out of it.

Someone posted this on another forum that was discussing gov't entitlement programs. I feel that it's relevant to this discussion as well.

Other animals that suckle their young teach those young to go out and hunt/forage for their food, neither of which are viable ways for the majority of humans in the developed world to obtain food, and I am grateful that our superior intellect, which you seem to have issues with, has enabled the development of civilization.

Secondly, that statement is not true for pan troglodytes (chimpanzees), who start weaning their infant whenever they want to with no regard for milk production, and I would bet that it is not true for other great ape species.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Other animals that suckle their young teach those young to go out and hunt/forage for their food, neither of which are viable ways for the majority of humans in the developed world to obtain food, and I am grateful that our superior intellect, which you seem to have issues with, has enabled the development of civilization.

Secondly, that statement is not true for pan troglodytes (chimpanzees), who start weaning their infant whenever they want to with no regard for milk production, and I would bet that it is not true for other great ape species.

You're killing me.

I was speaking in metaphor. Too many young adults (mid 20's and beyond, finished with school) continue to depend on their parents for room and board when they have, or ought to have the tools to move out and make their own way. It was discussed at length earlier in the thread. Try to keep up. An animal teaching it's young to feed itself before the teat dries up is also metaphor for those that are dependant on, or make a "career" out of entitlement programs. This could also be extended to the elderly on social security.

And what type of point were you trying to prove with the example of the chimpanzee? I'd call it a strawman argument, but I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Poor choice of animal metaphor, I think. Chimps also throw their feces at others who grate their nerves...who know I'd be studying chimpanzee personality disorder this early in the morning?

The point is that however an organism provides for itself, it needs to be taught that by maturity, which for animals is still sexual maturity, and for humans, is trending to near on to a full decade past sexual maturity. And even in this thread, I would say that at least half, if not a majority, are holding on to that immaturity.

I agree with 46, the ability to ENJOY life like a child is one thing, but it should be clear that adults are actually adults...relatively open to new ideas, conscientious, able to relate in community, fairly agreeable and non-neurotic.

I really enjoyed reading this wiki article on personality assessment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Don't worry......be happy!

Now, through a trick that God is playing on me, I'm faced with the possibility of going to work at the place where he's been all this time while I've been having kids. So he's likely to be a supervisor, or at least up there in the seniority. Great.

I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if he is now a supervisor, you will never see him. He will be too busy keeping his seat warm and complaining about how no one appreciates how much work he does.:D

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
You're killing me.

I was speaking in metaphor. Too many young adults (mid 20's and beyond, finished with school) continue to depend on their parents for room and board when they have, or ought to have the tools to move out and make their own way. It was discussed at length earlier in the thread. Try to keep up. An animal teaching it's young to feed itself before the teat dries up is also metaphor for those that are dependant on, or make a "career" out of entitlement programs. This could also be extended to the elderly on social security.

It was a poor metaphor based on inadequate understanding of one of the items you were comparing. I could argue that all non-human animals throw poop at each other when frustrated and claim it's a metaphor about why humans are mean to each other, but that would be silly because all non-human animals don't throw poop at each other, just as it's kind of silly to claim that all non-human animals are weaned before lactation ceases. There's no need to be rude and imply that I can't read (or whatever it is you're trying to imply by giving me the cliffnotes of a thread I already read) simply because I'm calling you out on the misinformation in your metaphor.

And what type of point were you trying to prove with the example of the chimpanzee? I'd call it a strawman argument, but I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

I was providing a quick example of an animal that does not do what you claimed all animals did.

Poor choice of animal metaphor, I think. Chimps also throw their feces at others who grate their nerves...who know I'd be studying chimpanzee personality disorder this early in the morning?

I wasn't picking them as an animal we should emulate. I was simply providing a quick counter-example of an animal that doesn't wean "before the teat dries up." Why are you studying chimp personality disorder? Are you taking a class on them or is it for funzies?

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I wasn't picking them as an animal we should emulate. I was simply providing a quick counter-example of an animal that doesn't wean "before the teat dries up." Why are you studying chimp personality disorder? Are you taking a class on them or is it for funzies?

Oh, it was all spurred from this thread. And physiologically, lactation doesn't end until the infant stops suckling. There will almost always be at least some milk if there's a nursing infant, toddler, whatever.

So there comes a point when every mother chooses to kick the kid to the curb, for whatever reason.

Or the offspring themselves decide that the time is up, and quit themselves.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It was a poor metaphor based on inadequate understanding of one of the items you were comparing. I could argue that all non-human animals throw poop at each other when frustrated and claim it's a metaphor about why humans are mean to each other, but that would be silly because all non-human animals don't throw poop at each other, just as it's kind of silly to claim that all non-human animals are weaned before lactation ceases. There's no need to be rude and imply that I can't read (or whatever it is you're trying to imply by giving me the cliffnotes of a thread I already read) simply because I'm calling you out on the misinformation in your metaphor.
The point was that humans ought to be weaned before the "teat dries up," which means that they ought to make their own way after finishing school, when they qualify for and secure a job. Going away from the topic with the chimpanzee matter doesn't prove anything to the contrary. It's one species. Others understood my point. If you were trying to offer a counterpoint to my position, a more effective route would have been to discuss why a young adult should be under no obligation to leave their parent's home after completing school and gaining employment. The chimpanzee reference (a single species) didn't address that at all, and only served to derail the topic. Now you're talking about wielding feces and being mean to each other. Please attempt to stay on topic.

I was providing a quick example of an animal that does not do what you claimed all animals did.
Whether or not one or two animals don't fit the metaphor doesn't necessarily change the analogy.

Like I said, if you're going to use counter examples, use them to support your position on the thread's topic. Do you feel that young adults should leave home when they are able to support themselves, or live with their parents indefinitely until they feel like moving out? A counter-example needs to prove something for your position (which you haven't stated as of yet), otherwise you're just going off on a useless tangent.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I never grew up, or I was always grown up. What I tell people depends on how arrogant I want to sound, but it's all the same. I had an unhappy and demanding childhood, but I can still go to Jackass 3D and laugh.

Currently, I'm living with my parents. I work for the family business and save up for a move that will further my career. It lets us spend some time together after several years where we didn't see much of each other, helps all of us survive the recession, and makes it possible for me to chase some real success. I'm not ashamed of it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I never grew up, or I was always grown up. What I tell people depends on how arrogant I want to sound, but it's all the same. I had an unhappy and demanding childhood, but I can still go to Jackass 3D and laugh.

Currently, I'm living with my parents. I work for the family business and save up for a move that will further my career. It lets us spend some time together after several years where we didn't see much of each other, helps all of us survive the recession, and makes it possible for me to chase some real success. I'm not ashamed of it.

So long as you really have a goal and a timeframe in mind, and aren't using the reason of "saving up" as a vague goal that my last many years. You're also helping out the family financially where they otherwise wouldn't make ends meet.

medic417

The Truth Provider