Whats your 2nd job if you have one?

certguy

Forum Captain
what cert did you get for ham radio? i happened to get my tech plus a while back... that is when they still had that level lol

I'm just a tech so far . I've been too busy to go for my general though I plan to when I get the time .

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Full time EMT with a 3rd service 911 EMS agency, part time with a local transport ambulancecompany working events, and I think I still work part time doing security/medical responder work.

Oh, and I volunteer, too.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
**laugh** In reality, my EMT job is my part time, second job. My full time job is working for the Victoria's Secret Direct call center supporting their desktops. IE, PC's AND phone system.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I do photography and try to sell some of my photos wherever possible.

Any type of special events and travel - where I get paid of course.

Would like to take on some new challenges...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Full-time student - high school senior, pre-nursing college freshman (2 credits away from sophomore status dammit!), EMT student.

Volunteer Search and Rescue Sgt. On-call 24/7/365.

I work at a drop-in child care center at a rec center.

By the way some of you have some weird jobs. Cool, but totally unrelated to EMS and random. That's probably a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteer EMS full time supervisor at a department store where I supervise Cashiers, security guard, and corporate safety officer.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Full-time student - high school senior, pre-nursing college freshman (2 credits away from sophomore status dammit!), EMT student.

Volunteer Search and Rescue Sgt. On-call 24/7/365.

I work at a drop-in child care center at a rec center.

By the way some of you have some weird jobs. Cool, but totally unrelated to EMS and random. That's probably a good thing.

You will learn that you do whatever it takes to pay the bills and take care of business. This is especially true if you are supporting a family.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
EMS will be my second job. I've been and will continue to be a stay at home mom since I finished my bs degree 6 years ago. I would love to do PRN work, or find a weekend shift so that our child/future children can be home with 1 parent at all times. My hubby works Tues-Fri, 2pm-midnight.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
You will learn that you do whatever it takes to pay the bills and take care of business. This is especially true if you are supporting a family.

Oh believe me, I understand. I'm not dissing those second jobs at all, I know that they're necessary. I was just noting that most laypeople would be shocked to learn that the EMT taking care of them works as a carpenter or tech support for Victoria's Secret on the side. Most people don't realize how crap the pay is unless they're in the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Oh believe me, I understand. I'm not dissing those second jobs at all, I know that they're necessary. I was just noting that most laypeople would be shocked to learn that the EMT taking care of them works as a carpenter or tech support for Victoria's Secret on the side. Most people don't realize how crap the pay is unless they're in the field.

I use to have people come up to me and talk to me all the time and be like remember me? At the time I was a cop and worked EMS. You can imagine how uncomfortable some of those could be lol. I had someone thank me for arresting them while I was out at dinner one night. When I seen him walking toward me I thought oh great someone actually is going to follow through with the "when I see you alone and out of uniform" threats, so you can imagine my astonishment when he thanked me lol.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
You know, I probably should add that I'm now doing a third job. Well, not really, but I have been so bored at my first job doing computers that I opened a cafepress store at http://cafepress.com/wolfwyndd in the hopes that I might make a little money at it.

Anyone else doing the cafepress thing?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
yea im a EMS superviser

Sorry, not to be belittling or personally attacking you; but your posts have demonstrated some of the problems we currently encounter in EMS. As a supervisor you would be responsible for reviewing paperwork and promoting knowledge. As well, documentation represents the knowledge base of that individual, especially in a managerial role.

I have had fellow EMS personnel be horrible at spelling, and purchased a pocket dictionary for them to carry with them. This has help them on PCR and just in general of communication. Since you are in a position of authority, I suggest to take some classes in English, grammar and writing courses. Even posting on forums, one can download free spell checks. I definitely use it. I believe it would help you and probably have others take your knowledge and posts more serious.

We are judged by our communication skills and the ability we can demonstrate such. Not only on PCR but on our usage of language, and the correctness of non medical documentation and interaction between each other.

Again, this is not meant to be mean but rather a helpful suggestion. I hope you and many others would consider.

R/r 911