what's on your resume?

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
So I'm intrigued and trying to learn a bit more about the emt/medic/fire world and job/hiring process. What's on your resume that makes you stand out? What certifications would you recommend to someone to help them stand out in the crowd?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you should tailor your resume to accentuate your strengths. For many, it's a choice between leading with education or work experience.

It's tough to stand out based on a resume alone, regardless of certification. If I were hiring, I'd pay more attention to the way the candidate presented himself/herself. Also, I don't think employers treat resumes the way they used to. So much of that process is handled electronically now, it's hard to be distinctive until you're interviewed.

oliver ruth

Forum Ride Along
well is is not all about certifications Your resume is often the first document that an employer would typically look at, so it serves as your first impression in the employment process. A well-written and formatted resume tells the employer a lot about your professionalism, and improves the chances for receiving an interview.so you need a good resume

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
well is is not all about certifications Your resume is often the first document that an employer would typically look at, so it serves as your first impression in the employment process. A well-written and formatted resume tells the employer a lot about your professionalism, and improves the chances for receiving an interview.so you need a good resume

You earn zero points for cutting and pasting the above from http://pkyonge.ufl.edu/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/1506775/File/How2_OptimalResume.pdf

Plagiarism sucks. Don't do it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
giphy.gif

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
So I'm intrigued and trying to learn a bit more about the emt/medic/fire world and job/hiring process. What's on your resume that makes you stand out? What certifications would you recommend to someone to help them stand out in the crowd?

Leadership positions are HUGE.

Summit

Critical Crazy
On my resume?

RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:

Superman
-Reduced workers compensation premiums by being impervious to bullets and basically invincible
-Jumped many buildings with a single bound
-Crushed the sound barrier through sheer willpower without mechanical assistance ensuring 100% attendence

Batman
-Leveraged superior ninja skills to bring justice to Gotham
-Provided great service at all hours and very willing to work the night shift
-Independently solved many mysteries using an advanced computer systems with an operating system of my own design

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
To be completely honest, find somebody thats in charge, and get to know them, NEPOTISM will get you much further then any experience will. ITS NOT WHAT YOU KNOW IT IS WHO YOU KNOW!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Yes, but leadership positions in other industries don't usually mean anything.

I think they mean something, but I agree that they don't hold as much weight as relevant experience.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well, I should qualify my statement. Leadership experience in another business is not lateral. Even if 98% of the basic parameters are the same. Budgeting, recruiting and retention, business development, marketing and daily operations... if you didn't do it for an EMS agency, it's not particularly valid.