What would you Do??

lindsayn2

Forum Probie
What we hear over the radio, AMR 204 respond such and such addy on a 24 year old with an OB emergency. Upon arrival we find mom laying on the bathroom floor with baby half way out and breech. When we asked mom how far along she was she stated she was 17 1/2 weeks along. After much coaching and pushing pushing pushing the baby was delivered. My partner and I's personal thoughts during this whole ordeal was oh god this is not going to be good........17 weeks, no possible way this baby is going to be alive or even have a chance. Anyways, the baby is delivered and wow what is that a beating heart. And wow.......she is even trying to breathe.....OH NO!!!!!! Now what do we do, we know this fetus is not technically viable at this age but yet technically we have a very small patient alive in my hands. Anyways, we package mom and load her and still 20 minutes after birth while still on scene we still have a very live 17 weeker in our ambulance. My partner and I know in the back of our minds once again......17 1/2, no way!! The next thought going through our heads was well man maybe the doctor was wrong, maybe the patient was wrong is this baby really only 17 wks. We begin rapid transport to our Level 3 NICU center doing the only thing we can both think of with a baby this little.......keep him warm and lots of blow by. At which point do you let what you have been taught in ALS override what your heart is telling you to do which is drive as fast as you can because by god......I AM GOING TO SAVE THIS LIVING BABY i have in my hands. What would you do?? I am struggling with this because my brain knows there was no possible way this baby was going to live but my heart was saying come on Miss EMS you have a live breathing beating baby in your hands. Upon arrival to the hospital about 50 minutes after delivery baby was still in the same condition as he was when born. I have not followed up yet even though I realize what the outcome was going to be. Does anyone have any comments, advise, or even thoughts on this call. Could use anything I could get at this point.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
There is actually a legal number when it comes to resuscitating premature babies, as far as how many days old they have to be before you are required to resucitate. I'll have to find out what it is now. It is a very touchy issue because they keep lowing the number of days the babies have to be, but as the number gets lower the quality of life the children will have is diminished. There is an actual cut off when the parents are not allowed to decide if they want the baby kept alive and it will be resucitated regardless of what condition it is. Most of these babies grow up to be at least partially brain dead and suffer from severe respiritory diseases as well as early heart failure, the list goes on.

As far as your case goes, the baby didnt need to be resucitated. Which makes me think you may have been right in assuming the mom or DR had the due date wrong. Let us know how it turns out.

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
You did the right thing - no question

vtemti

Forum Captain
What else could you have done? Good Job!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
aside from some triage situations, we don't judge lindsayn2. that means that all the right to lifer kkkristians, or kevorianistic euthinaisa gouls all can step aside when we arive. Thier socio-political issues no longer are up for debate when we're on scene {as opposed to off.}

if we get ABC's , we fight to keep and deliver them, if not better, because it's our job to be the eye of the storm for that 15-20 minutes we impose ourselves on others in this crazy trade

so while the rest of the medico-ethical oligarchy presents like a circus coming to terms with the human condition , rest assured your job was well done...

bravo lindsayn2. !

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I think most* would agree, and do the same thing. Maintain Life or Attempt Resuscitation.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Stevo@Jun 20 2005, 07:17 PM
aside from some triage situations, we don't judge lindsayn2. that means that all the right to lifer kkkristians, or kevorianistic euthinaisa gouls all can step aside when we arive. Thier socio-political issues no longer are up for debate when we're on scene {as opposed to off.}

if we get ABC's , we fight to keep and deliver them, if not better, because it's our job to be the eye of the storm for that 15-20 minutes we impose ourselves on others in this crazy trade

so while the rest of the medico-ethical oligarchy presents like a circus coming to terms with the human condition , rest assured your job was well done...

bravo lindsayn2. !

~S~
You use alot of big words.

<hits him w/ a newspaper>

Stop that.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
sorry TTLWHKR, doesn't do me any good on the tin cans either... :(

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah, the tin can Gods are basically unisylablic...real bummer....

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Stevo@Jun 21 2005, 02:32 PM
I can't even pronounce that word.

unisylablic

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Jun 20 2005, 09:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Jun 20 2005, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stevo@Jun 20 2005, 07:17 PM

bravo lindsayn2. !

~S~

Stop that. [/b][/quote]
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: You almost made me fall out of my chair.

Lindsayn, you did what any of us would have done. Despite what is "said" or what numbers we are given, I feel that as long as there is a pt with a pulse it's worth me doing everything I have in my power for that short transport time. I may lack much field experience but it's the reason I got into this job in the first place.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Stevo@Jun 21 2005, 02:32 PM
Now you're just showing off.

<grabs newspaper from TTL and hits him w/ it>

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by CodeSurfer+Jun 23 2005, 12:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CodeSurfer @ Jun 23 2005, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stevo@Jun 21 2005, 02:32 PM
Now you're just showing off.

<grabs newspaper from TTL and hits him w/ it> [/b][/quote]
OUCH!

What are ya hittin' me for?

<gets out his pepper spray>

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Jun 20 2005, 10:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Jun 20 2005, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stevo@Jun 20 2005, 07:17 PM

bravo lindsayn2. !

~S~

Stop that. [/b][/quote]
Try working with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by vtemti+Jun 23 2005, 04:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vtemti @ Jun 23 2005, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jun 20 2005, 10:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Stevo
@Jun 20 2005, 07:17 PM
aside from some triage situations, we don't judge lindsayn2.  that means that all the right to lifer kkkristians, or kevorianistic euthinaisa gouls all can step aside when we arive. Thier socio-political issues no longer are up for debate when we're on scene {as opposed to off.}

so while the rest of the medico-ethical oligarchy presents like a circus coming  to terms with the human condition , rest assured your job was well done...

bravo lindsayn2. !

~S~

Stop that.
Try working with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b][/quote]
OR read one of his PCR's.....................Jeeeeeeeesh...................I'm must be blessed!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
maybe i need a course in ems linguistics Boss?.. :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
For those that don't think < 20 wks survive...

8_point_6_lbs.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
L

lindsayn2

Forum Probie
You know just seeing that picture makes me feel a little better and not question myself so much about that call....THANKS