What To Do With Fancy Book Learnin'?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So as we trudge through the last days of 2017, I am looking to the future. Next fall, I'll finish up a Master's in healthcare administration, which will be Degree #4 for me (AAS-Paramedic, BS-Education, BAT-Healthcare Management, MHA). Granted, it's not exactly high-functioning STEM, but it's a whole lot of the 'soft' stuff that goes into teaching a good, effective manager and leader. I'll also have eight years of 911 EMS as a paramedic, critical care certification, and the generic folder of certifications and licenses and such. So, what do I do with it? We don't have any kids yet and so retain a high degree of geographic freedom, although I do like Texas.

Anyways though, I'm wanting to do something with all of this fancy book learning, something more than being a supervisor or whatnot. Clinical/quality does interest me somewhat, but those roles are filled well and deeply at most larger organizations, and I also don't really want to be the clinical guy over the long term- I want to be in a real senior leadership role, making the big systemic decisions and making things better for employees and their families and patients and communities, etc. So, how do I get there? I know one way is internal promotion from the ranks of supervisors, but those positions take forever to become available and longer to promote through, and I really don't want that job either, not over the long term. So basically, what can I do with all of this fancy learning?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
A senior leadership role usually means climbing a corporate ladder. There are rewards -- money, benefits, portable experience -- but it could take years from where you're starting. Have you considered consulting? Being your own boss has advantages, but it's not for everyone.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Unfortunately, you need to prove yourself before you can justify anything like senior leadership. You know my situation, decades of management in a different industry that didn’t really translate. However, I was able to make a case that my experience and relevant education made me qualified for a new position in education, QI and clinical oversight and I start in my new job at the end of January.

Is that end all, all be all job? No, but it’ll let me prove my mettle as a EMS manager and educator and could either serve as a jump off point or a step to the big job.

So, don’t focus solely on book work, get out and find a Management job that allows you to get your hands dirty. You’re a brand new manager and while you have good intentions, you’re gonna screw things up before you figure out how to actually do it right. (Speaking from experience). Get a job where you can make mistakes. But, get a job that gets you on tbe track. You’re going to have to start as a supervisor and work your way up.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Unfortunately, you need to prove yourself before you can justify anything like senior leadership. You know my situation, decades of management in a different industry that didn’t really translate. However, I was able to make a case that my experience and relevant education made me qualified for a new position in education, QI and clinical oversight and I start in my new job at the end of January.

Is that end all, all be all job? No, but it’ll let me prove my mettle as a EMS manager and educator and could either serve as a jump off point or a step to the big job.

So, don’t focus solely on book work, get out and find a Management job that allows you to get your hands dirty. You’re a brand new manager and while you have good intentions, you’re gonna screw things up before you figure out how to actually do it right. (Speaking from experience). Get a job where you can make mistakes. But, get a job that gets you on tbe track. You’re going to have to start as a supervisor and work your way up.
What he said. Leadership experience is still valuable and you have to demonstrate your capabilities. Nor do you need to be a supe to do so. Do you take on projects and see them through? Will your agency allow you that freedom?

I feel fortunate that as the grants manager it is my job to coordinate a team to make purchases happen. For instance, we have funding for infusion pumps. To get that, I go to my paramedic who is charge of biomed and we do some research. He picks a model, gets a quote. I write the grant and work with the chief to find the match funding. We get the funding, I direct them to order it and our education person to put together an in-service. Our inventory control person must also be notified. I submit the final report. I am not a supervisor, but I have nearly a dozen successful examples of project management, from vehicles to staffing initiatives. It is my hope that his will help me get a supervisor position so I can then start to demonstrate some more traditional leadership qualities for an eventual goal of big bossin it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Sidebar: @Tigger, can you help me with grant writing?
Possibly. Really the hardest part about grant writing is finding the funder. Find someone that aligns with what you want to do, don't force it. That's where I see the most failure. But I'm a PM/facebook away if you want to talk more.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Sadly, we're not afforded much freedom to do stuff like that at Current Employer. I think the best way to describe ideas and work as you mention is "unidirectional", meaning that the powers-that-be don't exactly seem to encourage or solicit mere field opinions. I do think that one could work proactively to be more involved in some decisions, but I don't see a lot of real room for advancement where I am now without making some fairly non-great lifestyle changes like embracing busy 24s again.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know one way is internal promotion from the ranks of supervisors, but those positions take forever to become available and longer to promote through, and I really don't want that job either, not over the long term. So basically, what can I do with all of this fancy learning?

I know a place in vermont that is hiring... and I only know about it because I used to work with one of the directors.... http://benningtonrescue.org/about/employment/

Many field supervisors are internal promotions, but I've been seeing more upper level positions (director level and similar) are hired from the outside. They are out there, you just need to look and be willing to relocate.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Relocation is definitely on the table. We're flexible.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

SpecialK

Forum Captain
I am sure some states in Australasia would look at 457 sponsorship for a senior manager either ops or clinical.

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

I am sure some states in Australasia would look at 457 sponsorship for a senior manager either ops or clinical.
Yeah but y'all have weird laws lol.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Have you considered working your way into academia? I think your background could get you up in the ranks at a community college running a paramedic program and moving up from there. Plus they'll pay for you to get a PhD if you want it.