What the H&//

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Is it just me or does everyone get a little knit picky and *****y on your squad when there is a lack of calls? We just had a special meeting last night to clear up some s:excl::excl::excl:. And it was really about nothing. Some one had their feelings hurt or someone felt stepped on. Come on WTF? Why is it that this happens?

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I can't resist. It's "nit-picky".

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its a losing game. when the volume is high, people complain that thery're being worked too hard.

when the call volume is low, they complain that theres nothing to do.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
its a losing game. when the volume is high, people complain that thery're being worked too hard.

when the call volume is low, they complain that theres nothing to do.

I second-that.

Personally, I have days where I just want a nice easy day where I can veg out in front of my computer or books and not have to roll a wheel. Then there are days where I am pumped up and begging for the pager to go off

Betcha can't guess how good 'ole Murphy treats me ;)

imurphy

Forum Captain
Betcha can't guess how good 'ole Murphy treats me ;)

I treat everyone fairly and without prejudice! :rolleyes:

But that can be a problem. Add to this, people get bored and annoy people to give them something to do!

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
I treat everyone fairly and without prejudice! :rolleyes:

But that can be a problem. Add to this, people get bored and annoy people to give them something to do!

LOL, good one

Boredom was the purest form of evil at a hospital base unit I worked for. Hardly a shift went by where one of us wasn't in front of the director explaining some shenanigans from the previous shift (hehe, shenanigans, I suddenly feel the urge to watch Super Troopers)

rmellish

Forum Captain
Eh, I want slow days when I have loads of homework to do, but those days are always crazy.

When I do want to do a bunch of runs, they just don't come in.

Grass is always greener on the other side.

I used to get frustrated when we didn't do runs, but I realized that the longer I worked, the more runs I'd do. I quit worrying about it.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Everyone has their preference. Some people love calls and some people hate them. At our corp the 7-11 shift is always quiet and those people get excited for calls. The overnight however can get crazy, and all those people want to do sometimes is sleep. And it seems to me when I work the overnight, the calls start once the last person falls asleep :rolleyes:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Slow Days?... The only problem with slow days is that you know that the busy ones is sneaking up on you!..

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
It just amazes me how stupid they get. The only problem that I have is the special meeting was about something I had said to one of the members and they so totally took it the wrong way. What I said "We need to keep a log of our Acucheck QC's" What they heard "your doing it ALL wrong". Sensitive insecure baby crap!!! OMG, Grow up. And the pisser, they had to run to the Assistand Chief (who by the way lives 50miles away) didn't even think of coming to me about it and asking to clarifiy. I find out 3rd hand. Put your big girl panties on and confront me!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Everyone has their preference. Some people love calls and some people hate them. At our corp the 7-11 shift is always quiet and those people get excited for calls. The overnight however can get crazy, and all those people want to do sometimes is sleep. And it seems to me when I work the overnight, the calls start once the last person falls asleep :rolleyes:

If someone hates calls WHY for the love of the baby jesus in his golden diaper are they even in EMS?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hate slow days, I really do. Ive only been working as an EMT for a few days but the periods where we have no calls is the worst, its soooo mind rottingly boring!

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
If someone hates calls WHY for the love of the baby jesus in his golden diaper are they even in EMS?

I don't believe I used the word hate:rolleyes:. I never even said those people don't like calls. I'm saying that they don't always enjoy being woken up at 3:30 to get a call in comparison to sitting around base at 11:30. Your usually a better EMT when your wide awake too...

Trust me, we like taking calls, and so far I love it, but there's just a time when you'd rather get them and a time you'd rather stay asleep.:)

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, you did, but whatever.

Odarkthirty pager activation for some BS call is just part of the job. *****ing about that's pointless. It's gonna happen, sure as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so anyone that doesn't like being woken up had best used to it.

Later!

--Coop

rmellish

Forum Captain
It just amazes me how stupid they get. The only problem that I have is the special meeting was about something I had said to one of the members and they so totally took it the wrong way. What I said "We need to keep a log of our Acucheck QC's" What they heard "your doing it ALL wrong". Sensitive insecure baby crap!!! OMG, Grow up. And the pisser, they had to run to the Assistand Chief (who by the way lives 50miles away) didn't even think of coming to me about it and asking to clarifiy. I find out 3rd hand. Put your big girl panties on and confront me!!

You lost me somewhere...:huh:

Edit: Nevermind, I reread the posts and figured it out. I though the thread was about slow days, but I guess its about slow days and QA meetings...my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I hate slow days, I really do. Ive only been working as an EMT for a few days but the periods where we have no calls is the worst, its soooo mind rottingly boring!

Hence the reason you still have the opinion you have. Come back after five or ten years and tell me how well you like having slow periods.

You really have not been in the business long enough to have developed an opinion yet. I do agree with you don't go in the business if you don't want calls, but over a period of time the "glimmer" goes away and you will find out that it is a job.

R/r 911

OP
OP
EMTWintz

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
You lost me somewhere...:huh:

Edit: Nevermind, I reread the posts and figured it out. I though the thread was about slow days, but I guess its about slow days and QA meetings...my bad.

It is about slow times and how unbelievably stupid people get due to the slowness. NP these posts seem to take different bends and turns.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It sounds like some companies are not utilizing their personnel correctly on the "slow" days. We have enough duty lists to keep everyone busy for a few hours. Equipment checks, compliance charts, QC forms, training and education etc are all things that don't have to pile up to the last minute waiting for someone else to do them. There's too much to do if you are in EMS to just be sitting around complaining. Those that do that probably don't know what their job actually consists of and the requirements/responsibility/accountability that go with it.

Many enjoy only the cool stuff of calls and use the word "BS" often if the call doesn't meet their expectations of "exciting". Thus, these will be the same people complaining about having to QC an accu-chek even though they thought they were entitled to have one. Like getting a puppy, they just want to play with it but not take care of it.

Use the slow days to you advantage to keep the skills and education current. Read some medical journals. Do some interactive scenarios instead of surfing the net.