What shots are required to do ride alongs and intern at the hospital?

HeatherLovesEMS

Forum Probie
I'm pretty sure I'm all up to date, but I just want to make sure!! I live in San Joaquin County, CA and I might be doing ride alongs for AMR.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
You should have been given a list to give to your personal/school physician but when I did mine they asked for TB/hep's/and tetanus among a few others.

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure if any shots are required. I'm not certain about privates or hospitals, as my ambulance runs out of a fire company, but not only are shots not required, they aren't allowed to suggest them. I asked an EMT instructor I know from a county over about it and I voluntarily got hepatitis and meningitis shots.

EDIT: Actually, I think it may be required to have your tetanus shots, but that's true for more than just EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A negative TB test within 3 months is pretty standard plus all the usual vaccinations. MMR Hep B and proof of health insurance.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
I will forever get a positive tb test so they just jump me to a chest X-ray.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For my EMT class, at least, we had to have a 2 stage TB test, MMR, and TDaP. I'm fairly sure that is all.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The shots required depend on the agency, the EMS Agency, and perhaps also state regulations. A two step TB test is common, it's more sensitive than the one step. Also the usual other vaccinations are suggested, especially the flu vaccine. So check with who you are going to be riding with.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
The ones that were required for the class I'm taking are all the above shots, plus a chickenpox vaccine series or a positive titer.