What kind of personal AED do you have?

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
Just curious as to what type of AED you have/own personally if you do. I have a Survivalink 9100 AED. Bought it off of Ebay for a outstanding price, new battery,new pads and came from a sheriff's department. I pay $100 a year for medical direction/prescription too, but that doesn't compare to how it can save a life if i need to used it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure you're the only person on here that personally owns an AED.

Why would I need to buy one for myself? They're all over the place on walls.

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
I'm pretty sure you're the only person on here that personally owns an AED.

Why would I need to buy one for myself? They're all over the place on walls.

Not very many in our city. And if I hear a full arrest nearby on the scanner, I can respond maybe before FD. It was pretty cheap, and I like peace of mind.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
To each their own.

My time is my time, not time to deal with EMS calls but that's just my opinion.

Are you affiliated with an agency?

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
*hangs head in shame, raises hand*

I have a Zoles Plus. But in my defense, I'm rural.. I know I've said it before, I live in farm country.. The service I work for gave it to me because their ambulance response times to the edges of the county can take 45 minutes. I can get there in five. EMR calls, I get paid $12.

It's just necessary up here that all the EMRs/EMTs/Ps have one because of the size of the area.. We get issued a lot of advanced equipment varianced to us..

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member

I have a Zoles Plus. But in my defense, I'm rural.. I know I've said it before, I live in farm country.. The service I work for gave it to me because their ambulance response times to the edges of the county can take 45 minutes. I can get there in five. EMR calls, I get paid $12.

It's just necessary up here that all the EMRs/EMTs/Ps have one because of the size of the area.. We get issued a lot of advanced equipment varianced to us..

Got ya. I just had to buy it because it was a good deal to. I think it cost me $105 for the AED,pads and new battery.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
A couple of points...

1) Are you affiliated with an EMS agency? If so, is your agency aware you bought a used AED off of eBay with the intent to use it?

2) What do you have for maintenance and test records for the AED?

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
A couple of points...

1) Are you affiliated with an EMS agency? If so, is your agency aware you bought a used AED off of eBay with the intent to use it?

2) What do you have for maintenance and test records for the AED?
Not affiliated with any agency.
The medical agency I pay $100 a year for makes me upload monthly maintenence/tests to their secure database online. Also, in case I ever use it they send me a box and a label and they download the data and do an after arrest report/investigation. Before choosing them, I made sure that they are in compliance with State and Federal Laws regarding the medical direction and everything regarding the AED

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

That is a completely different situation. You were issued a piece of equipment by the department you work for. You didn't go out and buy one to listen to the scanner and jump arrests randomly. I have zero problems with your situation and would honestly be surprised if responders in an area such as your were not issued one.

To the OP, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be rude but you're opening yourself to huge liabilty. FFEMT and I don't see eye to eye, at all, but he brings up a very valid point about maintenance records. Also, you may potentially run into trouble if a Good Samaritan law came into play. Yes you are technically a good samaritan however you pay for medical direction which a good lawyer could use against you. Depending on the verbiage in your state's GS law it may not apply to you.

Also, I'd be suspicious of the functionality of an AED purchased for $110 when they generally are well over 1k...has it been tested/inspected? Is it actually operational? Do you have a defibrillation test brick? Our monitors defib function is tested at least once a month if not more. For a while they were testing it every morning in front of us when the checked it out to us.

Again, don't take this as a personal attack, I applaud your desire to help others however you need to get with a lawyer and make sure you're safe from a liability standpoint if you use it. Helping others is not worth putting you and your family's livelihood at risk. we come first, before any patient, no matter what the circumstances.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not affiliated with any agency.
The medical agency I pay $100 a year for makes me upload monthly maintenence/tests to their secure database online. Also, in case I ever use it they send me a box and a label and they download the data and do an after arrest report/investigation. Before choosing them, I made sure that they are in compliance with State and Federal Laws regarding the medical direction and everything regarding the AED

So how do you plan on finding out about emergencies in your area and respond before the FD does?

I suggest you think very carefully about how you answer that question because there are legal considerations that I can guarantee you haven't thought about yet.

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
So how do you plan on finding out about emergencies in your area and respond before the FD does?

I suggest you think very carefully about how you answer that question because there are legal considerations that I can guarantee you haven't thought about yet.

I listen to the scanner which is perfectly legal, and have been for 5+ years. I don't just sit around or drive around hoping to jump on one of these calls, no. I listen to the scanner because it is interesting and have been doing that long before I owned an AED. Also, seeing as I have elderly people in our building, it could also be of use.

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
That is a completely different situation. You were issued a piece of equipment by the department you work for. You didn't go out and buy one to listen to the scanner and jump arrests randomly. I have zero problems with your situation and would honestly be surprised if responders in an area such as your were not issued one.

To the OP, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be rude but you're opening yourself to huge liabilty. FFEMT and I don't see eye to eye, at all, but he brings up a very valid point about maintenance records. Also, you may potentially run into trouble if a Good Samaritan law came into play. Yes you are technically a good samaritan however you pay for medical direction which a good lawyer could use against you. Depending on the verbiage in your state's GS law it may not apply to you.

Also, I'd be suspicious of the functionality of an AED purchased for $110 when they generally are well over 1k...has it been tested/inspected? Is it actually operational? Do you have a defibrillation test brick? Our monitors defib function is tested at least once a month if not more. For a while they were testing it every morning in front of us when the checked it out to us.

Again, don't take this as a personal attack, I applaud your desire to help others however you need to get with a lawyer and make sure you're safe from a liability standpoint if you use it. Helping others is not worth putting you and your family's livelihood at risk. we come first, before any patient, no matter what the circumstances.
I know your not attacking me, and I appreciate the advice. 1st, the device self tests itself every morning at 1:40AM. Second, there is a Green/red service button. Green=good red= needs service. Battery indicator is 100%/75%/50%/25%. The pads and battery expires in 2015. Every week/other week I open the AED and ensure it turns on and the voice commands pop up. It was also professionally tested to work prior to the seller shipping it.
Just a small point about the medical direction: The only reason I have it is because I am required to under CA law. In order to own an AED, you need medical direction, and I made sure I am compliant. Again, thanks for your advice

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Listening to a scanner is perfectly legal in most areas. Acting upon the information you overhear on a scanner is generally against the law - may even be against federal law. I'm on my tablet right now so I can't look up the exact law, so take Robb's advice and speak to an attorney.

Here are some other things to ask him about:

1) What are your states laws concerning:
A) Interference with official acts
B) Impersonating fire/EMS personnel
C) Practicing medicine without a license

2) Ask him what your liability is if you show up uninvited to somebody's home and:
A) The family files a malpractice suit against you because you did not have adequate medical equipment available
B) Something turns up missing and the family blames you
C) What is your civil and criminal liability if you have to force entry into the residence

Here is a more likely scenario than the one you thought would happen. You overhear a call, jump it in you POV and drive to the scene. When you show up, how do you introduce yourself to the patient and family?

Assuming, for the sake of discussion that the family doesn't immediately call the cops (or straight up shoot you), how many times do you think you will be able to do this before LE, FD, and EMS start to notice you repeatedly showing up to their scenes and start investigating?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I know your not attacking me, and I appreciate the advice. 1st, the device self tests itself every morning at 1:40AM. Second, there is a Green/red service button. Green=good red= needs service. Battery indicator is 100%/75%/50%/25%. The pads and battery expires in 2015. Every week/other week I open the AED and ensure it turns on and the voice commands pop up. It was also professionally tested to work prior to the seller shipping it.
Just a small point about the medical direction: The only reason I have it is because I am required to under CA law. In order to own an AED, you need medical direction, and I made sure I am compliant. Again, thanks for your advice

Well it sounds like you've done your research but I still think you need to get with an attorney. Are you in an area that is that rural that EMS/FD/PD have that extended of a response?

One thing I will say, is that if you do respond once EMS shows up I promise you that you will be asked to leave by EMS/FD/PD. Don't take it personally. If it were me I'd thank you, ask you a few questions and send you on your way. If you offered to stay and help I'd politely decline and again thank you and ask you to leave. There are obviously exceptions (ie an extended response from FD) but in my area that's pretty rare.

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
Listening to a scanner is perfectly legal in most areas. Acting upon the information you overhear on a scanner is generally against the law - may even be against federal law. I'm on my tablet right now so I can't look up the exact law, so take Robb's advice and speak to an attorney.

Here are some other things to ask him about:

1) What are your states laws concerning:
A) Interference with official acts
B) Impersonating fire/EMS personnel
C) Practicing medicine without a license

2) Ask him what your liability is if you show up uninvited to somebody's home and:
A) The family files a malpractice suit against you because you did not have adequate medical equipment available
B) Something turns up missing and the family blames you
C) What is your civil and criminal liability if you have to force entry into the residence

Here is a more likely scenario than the one you thought would happen. You overhear a call, jump it in you POV and drive to the scene. When you show up, how do you introduce yourself to the patient and family?

Assuming, for the sake of discussion that the family doesn't immediately call the cops (or straight up shoot you), how many times do you think you will be able to do this before LE, FD, and EMS start to notice you repeatedly showing up to their scenes and start investigating?
I don't impersonate myself, have no badges/insignia or logos of any kind. I wouldn't interfere if they were already on scene, if the patient or the family didn't want me too. I would simply tell them, I heard on the scanner you called 911, do you mind i I help? Hell, if they dont know CPR or dont have an AED themselved, most people would gladly take the help. If they blame me for taking something, it wont stand up in court unless they have proof. I would never force entry into a residence unless there is an iminent threat(stuck inside a burning building, stuff like that). Liability- Covered under Good Samaritan Law. I was acting on good faith, had proper equipment and certification and did not do anything I wasn't trained to/certified to do. It wouldn't be practicing medicine, because I am not writing prescriptions, not doing anything without the patient's consent(or if they can't consent their families consent or acting on good samaritan laws implied consent) and not doing anything I am not certified to do.

There is a difference between starting a Trachetomy on someone and starting CPR/AED. CPR/AED/First Aid I am certified to do.

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
Well it sounds like you've done your research but I still think you need to get with an attorney. Are you in an area that is that rural that EMS/FD/PD have that extended of a response?

One thing I will say, is that if you do respond once EMS shows up I promise you that you will be asked to leave by EMS/FD/PD. Don't take it personally. If it were me I'd thank you, ask you a few questions and send you on your way. If you offered to stay and help I'd politely decline and again thank you and ask you to leave. There are obviously exceptions (ie an extended response from FD) but in my area that's pretty rare.

I will probably have a chat with an attorney. I know if I go and help someone that I will probably be asked by fire to leave. I even assume that once they arrive, they take over, get my info and I leave. Now, if they need my help, I am more than willing to help. If they don't, I give them my info and take off.

Not really 100% relevant but I will try: My friend witnessed an accident one time. Another stranger called 911 while my friend asked the lady in the vehicle if he could help her. She consented, so he held her in C-Spine while keeping her calm and asking her questions. 5 minutes later, FD shows up, evaluates her and the Captain cleared my friend of C-Spine, thanked him and said he is free to leave.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I will probably have a chat with an attorney. I know if I go and help someone that I will probably be asked by fire to leave. I even assume that once they arrive, they take over, get my info and I leave. Now, if they need my help, I am more than willing to help. If they don't, I give them my info and take off.

Not really 100% relevant but I will try: My friend witnessed an accident one time. Another stranger called 911 while my friend asked the lady in the vehicle if he could help her. She consented, so he held her in C-Spine while keeping her calm and asking her questions. 5 minutes later, FD shows up, evaluates her and the Captain cleared my friend of C-Spine, thanked him and said he is free to leave.

Please do have that chat with an attorney.

And just to clarify, there is a huge difference in you self dispatching to a call based upon what you hear on the scanner and you happening to witness or come upon an emergency.

Also, if it takes FD only 5 minutes to respond, what makes you think you will beat them to the scene?

OP
OP
B

billydunwood

Forum Crew Member
Please do have that chat with an attorney.

And just to clarify, there is a huge difference in you self dispatching to a call based upon what you hear on the scanner and you happening to witness or come upon an emergency.

Also, if it takes FD only 5 minutes to respond, what makes you think you will beat them to the scene?

Oh, I know. Response times vary. But like I said, I'm not going to try and rush FD to the scene. If it is down the street, my own family member or nearby, I will go. But I am not going to race in my car 2miles away.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Does your medical direction require you to write a PCR?