What is considered shock trauma?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends on your area and protocols: But usually life threatening injuries.
Amputated finger or hand, not so much.
Multi system trauma, amputated limbs (elbow or knee and above), death in the same vehicle, ejection, falls greater than 20 ft or 3 times height of patient (for kids) depending what they land on of course: large soft pile snow, maybe not.
Irreversible shock along with trauma.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There’s no guesswork in this. The trauma triage tool provides some pretty clear guidelines

DrParasite

Oh, So Shock and trauma.
he's being sarcastic...

Shock trauma is typically a multisystem trauma (often involving shock), where a trauma team swarms the patient when they arrive at the ER... trauma is a much more general term.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Trauma = any trauma
Shock trauma = trauma where the patient goes into shock

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
so...who'd like to explain what 'shock' is?.....'cause I think that is what is at the root of the question....

DrParasite

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Shock Trauma is also used in a lot of Level I and II hospital ED's to describe Critical Care rooms: so it can be used for critical Medical patients also.

Last patient I took to a Level I hospital that was in bad shape (hyperkalemia, CO2 in the 70's {for the 1st 15 minutes of transport}, and GCS down from 8 to 4) which made for a fun 130 mile transport (to stormy to fly: went to a Shock Trauma room.
He was alive when I got him to the hospital. His hyperkalemia went away with 2 liters of NS, and CO2 dropped to 35-40 with 15 minutes of bagging: he was on a NC at 2 L/m by the time I got him to the ED.

He died 10 minutes later, and I never found out why.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Shock = heart (lungs), brain, kidneys, liver, skeletal muscle mass not getting enough blood (oxygen) to re-supply oxygen consumption (use) by heart (lungs), brain, kidneys liver, skeletal muscle mass.

Trauma = one of a dozen or so reasons for heart (lungs), brain, kidneys, liver, skeletal muscle mass not getting enough blood (oxygen) to re-supply oxygen consumption (use) by heart (lungs), brain, kidneys liver, skeletal muscle mass.

You're welcome.