What have you lost?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
A stethoscope >=[

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
Happily, just sleep. I have learned, read-am still learning- to just adapt and improvise. Sh*t. They were right....

sent from my mobile command center. or phone. whatever.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Sleep, money, time, a stutter.

I've gained a lot more than I lost, though.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Compassion in all its forms. I dont feel sorry for anyone anymore. I see people in my ambulance and all i can see is the cause. I used to feel bad for the COPDer or the diabetic. Now i curse them as i get up at 2am. They cant breathe now because they smoked for 20 years, or ate themselves to death. its all i see when im standing over a diabetic emergency thats pushing 300lbs, i hate them.

also, my spirituality and any semblance of my catholic upbringing.

and those pink trauma shears, they were nice....

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Anything resembling a normal relationship in my personal life...? Guess I can't blame all of that on EMS...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Several friends to medical helicopter crashes. I sit waiting to find out if I will add more to that toll tonight as a result of the crash in Missouri. I have friends who work for that service.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Compassion in all its forms. I dont feel sorry for anyone anymore. I see people in my ambulance and all i can see is the cause. I used to feel bad for the COPDer or the diabetic. Now i curse them as i get up at 2am. They cant breathe now because they smoked for 20 years, or ate themselves to death. its all i see when im standing over a diabetic emergency thats pushing 300lbs, i hate them.

also, my spirituality and any semblance of my catholic upbringing.

and those pink trauma shears, they were nice....

Maybe its time to reevaluate if you and EMS is a good fit.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
A positive loss- my shyness.

I used to be really timid, afraid to stand up for anything.

Now im not afraid to get all up in your grill.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown has lost

- All faith in humanity
- All faith in the Lord
- The will to live
- Pens
- A cell phone
- Stethoscope
- Sleep

Brown has gained

- Faith in humanity
- Faith in the Lord
- The will to live
- Pens

Sasha

Forum Chief
Nana's with chest pain or people stuck under cars from road traffic accidents tend not to have MRSA

EVERYONE has MRSA.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I lost: some friends, my wife, my dogs, my house and almost every material object that I believed to be important.

I gained: new friends, a new dog, a new career, a better understanding of myself and a new appreciation for the things that are truly important.

Yeah. My education process and subsequent employment as a medic not only was a change of career, it forced me to reevaluate the things in my life that needed to be changed so I could grow and be happy with who I am.

It's an arduous process. It's not done yet, but I'm getting there.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Another thought...

EMS introduced me to a world realer than real. A world that made any work of fiction put me to sleep. I lost the desire to live in any world that bored me.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
GAINED
-My faith in humanity actually increased. I used to have a powerful hatred of pretty much everything except alcohol and women with tatoos. Getting out into the real world (rather than being angry about stuff on the news or that I had learned in school) a bit more exposed me to people's good sides a bit more. I always assumed people would be arseholes and was happily surprised when, occasionally, they were not.

-An ability to start and maintain conversation that do a reasonable job of keeping people's attention.

-A powerful confidence in my ability to deal with pretty much any situation I come across. I never feel nervous about things like, minding a friends kid, negotiating with the idiot who rear ended you at a fender bender, meeting the in laws, little every things that provoke a certain amount of anxiety in most people. Since I started in EMS, I just feel like if I can manage severely injured/ill people in completely chaotic situations, I can handle an hour of play time with a four year old (although they are similarly taxing).

-A powerful fear of traumatic brain injuries.

LOST
-My tolerance for boring people and boredom in general. Too much of it at work to be able to tolerate more of in my personal life.

-A certain amount of libido. Where as once the idea of going out to a party and meeting women and ending up in the sack with one (or more, if the gods smiled upon me. They never seem to do a lot of smiling though :rofl: ) of them would fill me with excitement. Now it just seems like so much effort that I don't have the energy for. Sex just seems so procedural since I started in EMS and involves many of the same body parts and fluids that I tend to try and avoid, but inevitably come into contact with, everyday at work. I wonder sometimes if EMS has ruined sex for me :p

My sanity. Family/friends see something bad and their reaction is "Ewwww". My reaction is "that's pretty cool".

I was always like that. So I got on well when I started in EMS :)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
ems introduced me to a world realer than real. A world that made any work of fiction put me to sleep. I lost the desire to live in any world that bored me.

this ^^^

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh Brown both gained and lost the user formerly known as Mrs Brown

Super mega hella worse-than-telling-some-bloke-their-nana-died-in-an-RTA tragic-that-hurts-worse-than-testicular-torsion :sad:

But life goes on, mmmm garlic and chilli baked potato smothered in cheese and sour cream :D