What Education and Training Certifications can a EMT-Basic take?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Speaking of trauma, what (if any) criteria distinguish which level of trauma center you should go to, if there are multiple ACS verified trauma centers of varying levels around?

Here is the Massachusetts trauma point of entry plan, which is to be followed by all agencies operating in the Commonwealth. It is slowly starting to come into use, but it is a bit impractical given the lack of ACS verified facilities outside of major population centers.

Attachments

• trauma-hospital-destinations.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 349

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is the Massachusetts trauma point of entry plan, which is to be followed by all agencies operating in the Commonwealth. It is slowly starting to come into use, but it is a bit impractical given the lack of ACS verified facilities outside of major population centers.

It makes good sense in urban and near-urban areas, I suppose. It's logical in a normal situation (i.e. not an overwhelming MCI) a patient is very critical, then bring to the highest level.

Can't help but wonder what would happen in a massive MCI scenario — with overwhelmed urban trauma centers. Oy vey...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It makes good sense in urban and near-urban areas, I suppose. It's logical in a normal situation (i.e. not an overwhelming MCI) a patient is very critical, then bring to the highest level.

Can't help but wonder what would happen in a massive MCI scenario — with overwhelmed urban trauma centers. Oy vey...

I worry more about MCIs in areas that are served exclusively by community hospitals that have limited bed space in both the ER and the rest of the facility.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I worry more about MCIs in areas that are served exclusively by community hospitals that have limited bed space in both the ER and the rest of the facility.

Oy vey. Now I'm even more frightened.

Now add CBRN and that's just...oy veys mir...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Speaking of trauma, what (if any) criteria distinguish which level of trauma center you should go to, if there are multiple ACS verified trauma centers of varying levels around?

There's very little difference between a level 1 and level 2 (mostly being the presence of a residency and production of research), hence we don't differentiate between them. The area of the country I'm most knowledgeable about does not utilize anything beyond level 2.

paradoqs

Forum Crew Member
If your pt is critical wouldnt you want to go to the closest available facility with a trauma designation to stabilize the pt and let that facility decide if they want to transfer? Thats what my med dir wants us to do.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, you get your answer before we went to Alpha Centauri?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief