What does it mean when AMR buys a company?

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
So, the other day, THE DOCTORS ambulance was sold to AMR.

Long story short. What does this mean for candidates hoping to apply here? Will AMR send over their own employees to populate the work space? I would love to work here.

Here is the article

http://jan.ocregister.com/2010/12/07/o-c-ambulance-firm-sold/50642/#more-50642

Oooh snap!! thats big news! Doctors is local! i live right across the street from their HQ

it means more funding
I hear that AMR focuses more on Making Money... i wonder if they will keep the doctors name?

OP
OP
M

Matt Colb

Forum Probie
Your local? Im in Tustin! Are you working right now? With Doctors? Why or Why not

JPINFV

Gadfly
According to the press release, they say they will, which I think is a good thing. AMR has essentially been run out of Orange and Los Angeles counties in the past decade, and Doctors Ambulance has a good reputation. It will be interesting to see what happens. Sure, it gives Doctors Ambulance more resources, but everything comes at a price, and I'm sure that the piper will want to be paid.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Your local? Im in Tustin! Are you working right now? With Doctors? Why or Why not

Im in Lake Forest
im working at a Retirement Community as an Overnight EMT, its called Freedom Village in Lake Forest

Ive applied to Doctors, but they have been on a Freeze for a while... its really hard to get on with them because everyone and their mom wants to work 911

Im trying to get on with a Hospital anyways..
More money and i want to be a Nurse

OP
OP
M

Matt Colb

Forum Probie
JPINFV:

What does that mean for hiring and applying for me and music medic?

I am looking for a 911 near OC. Pref. like a 45 minutes within the vicinity of Irvine.

CARE just turned me down because, from what it seems like, I am only 20. Looks like I will have to wait to get a job =(

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
JPINFV:

What does that mean for hiring and applying for me and music medic?

I am looking for a 911 near OC. Pref. like a 45 minutes within the vicinity of Irvine.

CARE just turned me down because, from what it seems like, I am only 20. Looks like I will have to wait to get a job =(

you have to be 21 to work at Doctors cause of their insurance. at least thats what they told me when i applied

im 22 now i applied when i was 21

JPINFV

Gadfly
I honestly don't know. I interviewed at Doctors about 4-5 years ago and didn't get hired and I've never applied for AMR. I'd hazard to guess that in the short term it doesn't matter much as the management team isn't going to change.

In terms of getting hired at a 911 company, I would also consider working at some of the more well established IFT companies (e.g. Lynch and Pacific to name the two big OC companies) so that you have at least some experience. Additionally, a job is a job, the IFT companies generally pay more and even the 911 companies still run IFTs.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
According to the press release, they say they will, which I think is a good thing. AMR has essentially been run out of Orange and Los Angeles counties in the past decade, and Doctors Ambulance has a good reputation. It will be interesting to see what happens. Sure, it gives Doctors Ambulance more resources, but everything comes at a price, and I'm sure that the piper will want to be paid.

Yes, they are keeping the Doctor's name. From what our divisions higher ups have said, it is similar to how EMSC owns MedicWest in Vegas, and then kept the name and hopefully the better rep that came with it.

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
Past practices for AMR is to keep the work force. Typically they buy a company for the established name as a few of you mentioned. For those still looking to apply..don't wait. Most companies still field folks. Also I see AMR buying other companies to make up for the loss of Alameda and Santa Clara ALS contracts.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Past practices for AMR is to keep the work force. Typically they buy a company for the established name as a few of you mentioned. For those still looking to apply..don't wait. Most companies still field folks. Also I see AMR buying other companies to make up for the loss of Alameda and Santa Clara ALS contracts.

who got santa clara?

medic417

The Truth Provider
What does it mean? It means the Borg have conquered another area to promote low wages and poor work conditions. Or so I have been told. :unsure:

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
My question to you all is there anyone that has worked for Rura/Metro and what is it or was it like? I have worked for mom/pop and AMR. To tell you the truth both places were similar just different folks and uniforms.

zombiemedic

Forum Ride Along
EMSC bought my company here in Vegas and nothing has changed other than some mandatory corporate training. At the street level really nothing happened.

ambman1989

Forum Probie
Lie

I worked for two companies that AMR bought in the mid 90's they always say they will keep the (old) company name and nothing will change. THATS A LIE thats the first thing they do.