What Do You Like Better Fire Or EMS

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
I get an adrenalin rush from working fire side when it's a working fire riding a fire truck is more exciting then riding the fastest roller coaster and when you get a grab it's an amazing feeling when I first pulled someone out of a burning building i was high on that from like month the bad side is waiting for calls the fire business is slow and it may be a week or two till you get a fire the rest are bs. On the other hand EMS is what i love to do no matter where I go im an EMT day/night 24/7 I love it and you get the opportunity to help people everyday the bad thing is you have to deal with a lot of bs calls don’t get me wrong im happy to help old ladies get up after they fall or hook an elderly man up to o2 when he has difficulty breathing it's just not that adrenalin rush... What do you guys think?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, wow?

So, you're an adrenaline junky then? Yes, the adrenaline rush can sometimes be helpful on a trauma, especially if you're a tiny little thing like me, and need the rush to up the weight you can lift.

Most of the time, I'd much rather not have the rush. The let down is killer. That's just me though.

OP
OP
Jayxbird521

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
Oh yea ha well if thers an accadent or carrdiac arrest yea you'll get pump trust me you will know when you start going on calls

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Oh yea ha well if thers an accadent or carrdiac arrest yea you'll get pump trust me you will know when you start going on calls

House of God Rule: In an emergency take your own pulse first. (It is faster than the patient's, chances are you need to calm down.

R/r 911

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, he is, and a nurse.
But, that's not the point. He's also right.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I would say that in the rare occasions I get to actually fight fire there is nothing that equals that feeling. I love ems and 92% of our calls are ems related its just not that exciting, but much more mentally challenging. Most of the fire time we get is training and not the real thing. So when you get the real thing it is a huge rush, then a calm sureal feeling.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Fire is dirty and it smells bad... but then.. my last call was a rectal bleed... I guess there's not as much difference as I thought.. hmmmmm:unsure:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Fire is dirty and it smells bad... but then.. my last call was a rectal bleed... I guess there's not as much difference as I thought.. hmmmmm:unsure:

Now that's funny! :lol:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
House of God Rule: In an emergency take your own pulse first. (It is faster than the patient's, chances are you need to calm down.

R/r 911
1.gif

RidRyder (Who is a Critical Care medic AND an RN) has, as usual, hit the nail on the head. Adrenalin is good... to a point. But if you do stupid things because "it's the big one".. you are going to make mistakes and kill people... perhaps even kill yourself.

We need to take a few deep breaths before we go racing down the stairs and screaming out of the station... we need to remain calm and collected to do our job correctly.

Jon

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Oh, I think there is a GREAT big of difference, I'll take a little smoke and soot any day over an old rectal & G I bleed. At least, after the smoke I can still eat.

R/r 911

rsdemt

Forum Crew Member
fire or ems

When I was an EMT in Dale City Va, we were trained in only basic fire fighting. Throwing ladders, opening hydrants, wearing scba, knowing where everything is on the truck, and engine.
So even though I have been on some house burnings, and some rescue drills. I would have to sat I love ems.
I also like the rescue (vehicles extrications especially.) My adrenaline is ANYTIME the alarm goes off.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
If you can't remain calm during a call, you can't provide adequate patient care. Nothing is worse than watching a bunch of hyped up firefighters/EMT's trying to provide patient care to a sick patient. It has nothing to do with your level of care.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I get an adrenalin rush from working fire side when it's a working fire riding a fire truck is more exciting then riding the fastest roller coaster and when you get a grab it's an amazing feeling when I first pulled someone out of a burning building i was high on that from like month the bad side is waiting for calls the fire business is slow and it may be a week or two till you get a fire the rest are bs. On the other hand EMS is what i love to do no matter where I go im an EMT day/night 24/7 I love it and you get the opportunity to help people everyday the bad thing is you have to deal with a lot of bs calls don’t get me wrong im happy to help old ladies get up after they fall or hook an elderly man up to o2 when he has difficulty breathing it's just not that adrenalin rush... What do you guys think?

I have absolutely zero interest in fire, so I guess my answer would be EMS....

mikie

Forum Lurker
I get an adrenalin rush from working fire side when it's a working fire riding a fire truck is more exciting then riding the fastest roller coaster and when you get a grab it's an amazing feeling when I first pulled someone out of a burning building i was high on that from like month the bad side is waiting for calls the fire business is slow and it may be a week or two till you get a fire the rest are bs. ?

I agree, but here, I'd be jealous to get a fire every 'week or two' -Some months we MIGHT get 1

I have once felt my radial pulse, I think it was on my first medical call- I could tell it was over 100 within a few seconds-heck, I could barely get the kling-roll open 'cause I was a little shaky! But that was my first call...

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have absolutely zero interest in fire, so I guess my answer would be EMS....

I second that. It's not that the fire service is necessarily lower than EMS, its just a completely different job with a completely different skill set. Personally, I could not care less about housing construction concerns, extrication techniques, how to roll hose, or anything else that deals with fire fighting. I'm not interested in it as a career, therefore I will do everyone involved a great favor and not even attempt to become employed as one [same could be said about numerous other jobs].

On the other hand, I am interested in the human body and disease. Ergo, EMS appeals to me much more than anything that the fire service has to offer. I'd rather be a good single role provider than a mediocre dual role provider.

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
Fire. I'd have to go with the adrenaline rush and the physical challenge. Also, the fact that YOU have to make it out alive. In EMS, your patient has to make it out alive. While my pt.'s life is in my hands, and that is also a helluva rush, there are sometimes that we can't save them.

EMS, IMO, requires much more thought and skill. Fire takes determination and physical ooomph to get the job done.

I love both, and really do enjoy doing both jobs.

Speaking of fire, judging by the sirens that have been going off the past few minutes while I write this at home, I think my local department may have caught a fire... :p

certguy

Forum Captain
Bossy , what a comparison ! LOL :rolleyes:

I liked working both , the challenge and adrenaline rush of a good fire ( wildland or structure ) , and the great feeling you get when you're involved in a EMS save .

My only regret is I never got to deliver a baby in all my time in the field . I came so close it wasn't funny , but never actually got to deliver . It would've been nice to help bring some life into this world .

Both areas are challenging , but in different ways , and yes , when I was younger , I was a bit of an adrenaline junkie too , but I think I've mellowed with age .