What cities have their EMS and Fire Departments separate?

Tony431

Forum Probie
Stop hijacking the thread as if you're the OP.[/QUOTE

#underoath87.. What in the hell are you talking abt? Hijacking the thread?? Im replying to medics that giving me information. I DONT know you and you sure dont know me.. Whatever OP means, you can kiss my A*#..... Stay in your lane #underoath87..

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Tony, OP= original poster (i.e. The person who started the thread and that we were replying to). You just randomly jumped in and started acting as though it were your thread and the replies were directed at you.

Is this your first time on a message board?

Ryan Morris

Forum Ride Along
All EMS should be separate from FIRE , Each state has legislative laws that separate the agencies and Then there comes these budget changes or special needs of finance at fire for more grants and or equipment , so Fire sucks it up , calling it a money saver and truthfully its not by any means , And this has developed a huge misguidance in understanding the differences and such at the general public's view of what EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES REALLY IS.... It was never intended to be FIRE related , It came from the Funeral Businesses , Not from FIRE , TO MANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS OF EMS .. Its a shame and it has caused discredit and recognition as needed and demanded by EMS who have earned their status . Many will argue with this , but all in all it is the truth , just start researching. You will see for your self and how much the education and facts have been altered . Its shameful....

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
All EMS should be separate from FIRE , Each state has legislative laws that separate the agencies and Then there comes these budget changes or special needs of finance at fire for more grants and or equipment , so Fire sucks it up , calling it a money saver and truthfully its not by any means , And this has developed a huge misguidance in understanding the differences and such at the general public's view of what EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES REALLY IS.... It was never intended to be FIRE related , It came from the Funeral Businesses , Not from FIRE , TO MANY MISUNDERSTANDINGS OF EMS .. Its a shame and it has caused discredit and recognition as needed and demanded by EMS who have earned their status . Many will argue with this , but all in all it is the truth , just start researching. You will see for your self and how much the education and facts have been altered . Its shameful....
Good luck with that [emoji482]

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Boston, Worcester, Pittsburgh (kind of), NYC EMS (run by fire, but a separate department that only does EMS), Austin-Travis County, Wake County, Lee County.

And maybe, if there is an EMS god, Washington DC sometime in the future! :p

pghmedic580

Forum Probie
SFFD has a separate EMS and Suppression divisions.
San Francisco Fire and SF Dept of Public Health Ambulances merged in 1997. EMT's and Paramedics in EMS are single role. There are FF/EMT's and FF/Medics working on rigs.
Working EMS for SFFD is pretty much the holy grail.

Ryan Morris

Forum Ride Along
I just became an EMT-B. I want to work with a 911 service, but I don't really want to be a firefighter. I know most cities have their EMS and Fire Departments as one. Does anyone know of any medium to large cities where EMS personnel do just EMS and not firefighting? Thanks.
Indianapolis EMS is separate

Ryan Morris

Forum Ride Along
Indianapolis EMS and like all others just depends on where you are or would like to be

pghmedic580

Forum Probie
Boston EMS is a separate agency, and they are hiring!

Firemedic123

Forum Ride Along
On the top of my head:

Buffalo
EMS is through a private company, Rural/Metro EMS

FDNY

Atlanta
Grady EMS, hospital based

Oklahoma City, Tulsa
EMSA, private

Fort Worth
Medstar, private