Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
EMT-I: I drive
I intubate
I V
I clean the truck

I bet your EMT partners hate you.

From reading the few posts you have on here you sound like a burnt-out, crotchety old geezer. But my opinion doesn't count because I'm a rook right?

Get off your soapbox old man.

jet421

Forum Ride Along
In New Jersey there are Paramedics or EMT- B's. For the people who may have their certification as an EMT-I they are only able to practice as a EMT-B...

100JOULES

Forum Probie
I bet your EMT partners hate you.

From reading the few posts you have on here you sound like a burnt-out, crotchety old geezer. But my opinion doesn't count because I'm a rook right?

Get off your soapbox old man.

I don't have EMT partners. I work in a system that's 2 Medic per truck. Also, the EMTs that I do PRECEPT, learn a lot and are never demeaned.

In the words of my DI, "Do I know you? Do I owe you money? Then don't talk to me!"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Steveb

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
OP
OP
Steveb

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Wait a second... I thought that a EMT-I was like a Canadian Primary Care Provider (PCP/EMT), but around my parts that's a 400 class hours + clinicals (plus being an EMR first too, which is 140 hours).

This forum always confuses me like that.

That is also what I was trying to figure out but a PCP can't start a IV unless a ACP is around. And a PCP studies 2 years.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow Canadian Medics who study two years can't even start IV's lucky...

The Canadian system is probably far superior. It's not that the Canadian system is so much behind as it is the American system is so much more screwed up.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
That is also what I was trying to figure out but a PCP can't start a IV unless a ACP is around. And a PCP studies 2 years.

I'm a PCP and I didn't do 2 years of school, ACP around here does 2 years. Right now PCPs here can't initiate IVs we can only do maintenance, they've been working on standardizing across Canada, but it hasn't happened yet.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In the words of my DI, "Do I know you? Do I owe you money? Then don't talk to me!"

Wow. That's a great attitude to have on a discussion forum.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Wow Canadian Medics who study two years can't even start IV's lucky...

Ontario is different from the rest of Canada. PCPs in most provinces are doing iv now and it won't be long before it is across Canada. A pcp program is usually 9 months to a year. Then another year or 2 for ACP. The NOCP recently updated their scope of practice for EMR, PCP, ACP and CCP. IVs are now in the PCP scope. With the number of provinces that use the NOCP as a baseline it wont be long before it is canada wide.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Isn't this where the thread gets closed because nothing constructive is going to come from this?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Did you see what the guy said to me to warrant that?
THIS GOES FOR ALL MEMBERS ON THE FORUM:

If you've got an issue with a post, then you should report it to the Community Leaders using the
report.gif

button. We will review the post and take whatever action we deem necessary, if we feel action is warranted. Once you report the post, that is the end of it as far as you are concerned. If you choose to respond to the post before/after reporting it, we view that as contributing to the problem. Be forewarned, abusing the report post button also has consequences.
If you don't want a member "talking" to you here, you have a two choices:
1) Add them to your ignore list by going to your UserCP and selecting "Edit Ignore List" on the left side (http://emtlife.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist)*
2) Stop posting comments, thereby removing any member "talking" to you by way of response

Otherwise, you do not get to choose who talks to you here.

* No, you can not place Community Leaders on your ignore list. :p

OP
OP
Steveb

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Ontario is different from the rest of Canada. PCPs in most provinces are doing iv now and it won't be long before it is across Canada. A pcp program is usually 9 months to a year. Then another year or 2 for ACP. The NOCP recently updated their scope of practice for EMR, PCP, ACP and CCP. IVs are now in the PCP scope. With the number of provinces that use the NOCP as a baseline it wont be long before it is canada wide.

I thought they could only Start it if they are with a ACP