What can a EMT-I do.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
What can an EMT -I do that a EMT-B can't?
Sorry I live in Canada our system is a bit different.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
It is different from state to state. Here in mass they can intubate and start IV's. Not sure about what else they can do. I also know they are considered als.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Depends on the state/county. Here in VA we are on the I-99 standard so EMT-I's can do everything that a Paramedic can.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Definately region specific. Here in California EMT II 85/91 are going the way of Bretylium. California is following the NREMT model so they can either step up their game and upgrade to Paramedic, or be downgraded to AEMT. Existing EMT II will have a bit broader scope then the new AEMT which wont even have cardiac monitoring.......

OP
OP
Steveb

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
It is different from state to state. Here in mass they can intubate and start IV's. Not sure about what else they can do. I also know they are considered als.
How long is the course?

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I am not 100% sure I remember hearing some where that it is 80 hours. I need to look into it more specifically myself. I don't think it is 80 hours though.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am not 100% sure I remember hearing some where that it is 80 hours. I need to look into it more specifically myself. I don't think it is 80 hours though.

As far as I can tell it's 80 hours didactic and 80 hours clinic, though I only found Southern Berkshire Volunteer Ambulance's description. In MA an intermediate practices at the I-85 scope which does not include any sort of cardiac component nor does it include much in the way of pharmacology. Given this, it is not a commonly used level with few private companies using them. Most fire departments and third services are looking to hire medics only. In MA I would not waste my time obtaining it as you likely struggle to find a paying intermediate position.

OP
OP
Steveb

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
As far as I can tell it's 80 hours didactic and 80 hours clinic, though I only found Southern Berkshire Volunteer Ambulance's description. In MA an intermediate practices at the I-85 scope which does not include any sort of cardiac component nor does it include much in the way of pharmacology. Given this, it is not a commonly used level with few private companies using them. Most fire departments and third services are looking to hire medics only. In MA I would not waste my time obtaining it as you likely struggle to find a paying intermediate position.
So with that 80 hour course you can start an IV?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My I/85 course was ~160 hours + 40 hours of clinical and ambulance time.

Included cardiac monitoring (basic rhythm interpretation), A&P, BIADs, intubation, IVs, medication administration, pharmacology among other things. Spent a lot of time reinforcing basic concepts then adding on to them.

Where I am intermediates are not ALS they are ILS. The fact that people don't discern the difference between I/99 and medic is pretty scary to me. No offense to any I/99s out there. Lots of skills and drugs without a ton of background education from all the programs I have seen.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an EMT-Intermediate. My scope of training and practice closely resembles that of a paramedic. Some of what I can do (but not limited to):

*IVs
*Intubation
*EKG
*Manual defibrillation
*Medications via IV, IM, SC, and ET tube

Some of the medications I can give are:
*Epi 1:1000 and 1:10,000
*Atropine
*Narcan
*Dextrose
*Albuterol
*Nerve agent antidotes
*Aspirin
*Glucagon

I am trained to use CPAP, King, Combitube, and ETI for airways, in addition to the "normal" airways like OPAs, NPAs, NRB, and NCs.

I do dynamic cardiology. I can interpret and treat rhythms such as V-Tach, V-Fib, and Asystole.

I am a valuable asset to any ALS program. I'm also awesome. Very, very awesome.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I am a valuable asset to any ALS program.

We don't agree on much but I agree with you on this. Our medics consistently say they would much rather ride with an I than a B any day of the week.

Unfortunately my county limits my scope quite a bit but we still can do basically everything you listed, except for ETI, with our partner "supervising".

We have plenty of meds and skills we can preform on our own without a medic around as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
In practice I've only seen Is start IVs and take BGs. I haven't seen any other procedures that basics can't do. BGs are actually in the scope of practice in my state (NY) but my agency doesn't allow it (they do allow Is to, though).

Is are not considered ALS here.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an EMT-Intermediate. My scope of training and practice closely resembles that of a paramedic. Some of what I can do (but not limited to):

*IVs
*Intubation
*EKG
*Manual defibrillation
*Medications via IV, IM, SC, and ET tube

Some of the medications I can give are:
*Epi 1:1000 and 1:10,000
*Atropine
*Narcan
*Dextrose
*Albuterol
*Nerve agent antidotes
*Aspirin
*Glucagon

I am trained to use CPAP, King, Combitube, and ETI for airways, in addition to the "normal" airways like OPAs, NPAs, NRB, and NCs.

I do dynamic cardiology. I can interpret and treat rhythms such as V-Tach, V-Fib, and Asystole.

I am a valuable asset to any ALS program. I'm also awesome. Very, very awesome.

Thank you for my new Signature!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Where I am currently in Vermont, paramedics have just started to enter our district. It is dominated by I's. Taking my I class next fall which has now morphed into the AEMt curriculum.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So with that 80 hour course you can start an IV?

Yes, I know that the Intermediate scope in MA includes IVs, ETI, BGL, and fluids. I imagine some of the more "basic" medications are also included but I am not sure.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Let it be known that few Intermediate courses are 80 hours long. Mine was 140 hours long.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Let it be known that few Intermediate courses are 80 hours long. Mine was 140 hours long.

Wait a second... I thought that a EMT-I was like a Canadian Primary Care Provider (PCP/EMT), but around my parts that's a 400 class hours + clinicals (plus being an EMR first too, which is 140 hours).

This forum always confuses me like that.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Wait a second... I thought that a EMT-I was like a Canadian Primary Care Provider (PCP/EMT), but around my parts that's a 400 class hours + clinicals (plus being an EMR first too, which is 140 hours).

This forum always confuses me like that.

I think your standards in Canadia are much more uniform than the American "standards". I don't know the similarities or comparisons. Sorry.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I did intermediate training in Maine. It was considered equal or higher to the NOCP PCP. My course was 9 months. The scope of practice is very similar. I know of others who have tried to transfer their training to canada and were unsuccessful due to them taking bare bones low hours courses.