What boots do you use?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
pfmedic said:
I long for a boot that will work with a seven hole zipper system someone gave me. I currently use a Wal-Mart special which is comfortable as can be, but has a speedlace system and doesnt work with my seven-eyelet zipper thingys.

What do you use, and do you like it?

I happen to use the Wal-Mart boot as well. I tried an initial pair that lasted two years. I bought two more pair. I used one for patrol and the other for the ambulance. Over the years I have tried all kinds of boots. I found the ones I bought from Wal-MArt held up as well as boots 3 times the price.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
DT4EMS said:
I happen to use the Wal-Mart boot as well. I tried an initial pair that lasted two years. I bought two more pair. I used one for patrol and the other for the ambulance. Over the years I have tried all kinds of boots. I found the ones I bought from Wal-MArt held up as well as boots 3 times the price.

Yeah, they wont die, I even take them hiking. They are Hermann Survivors. Is that what you have? Anyway, they are incredible, but take to long to lace up as I have these re-goddamm-diculous call times to make, servicing a portion of the county that is 60 square miles in diameter.

ECC

Forum Captain
Warrington Pro Station boots.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
pfmedic said:
Yeah, they wont die, I even take them hiking. They are Hermann Survivors. Is that what you have? Anyway, they are incredible, but take to long to lace up as I have these re-goddamm-diculous call times to make, servicing a portion of the county that is 60 square miles in diameter.

Exact same boot! I love them. They are the best I have found for work. For the lacing up issue, my partner usually drove so I would lace them up on the way to a call. That is the only downside.

BrandoEMT

Forum Crew Member
I have owned 8" Rocky First Med boots that lasted about 3 yrs but the insoles wore out quickly. My second pair is the 6" non-safety toe Danner Striker boot. They are wonderful and light as ever! I would purchase Wal-Mart boots but I don't like to buy things from Wally...oh well I'd say Danner's! Spend a bunch in the beginning but they last a long time!

B

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
Rocky Fort Hoods w/ zipper and Magnum Response side zip.

I never wear the same pair two days in a row and if I'm pulling a 24, I'll change boots about half-way through the shift.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a pair of Magnums i bought for school and a pair of Bates that were issued to me by the county.

Both are ok. Have the side zipper. The Bates were a little harder to break in, but they make my feet look smaller so I like them the best.

Medic946

Forum Probie
converse zip boots. most confortable boots i've ever had...even better than magnums(imo) found in galls

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
EMTPrincess said:
but they make my feet look smaller so I like them the best.

That is hillarious. What differance does it make when you are trodding through mud to get your pt? I would want a bigger shoe to act like snow shoes.

Tactical Medic

Forum Crew Member
I used to wear my "Cadillacs" all leather combat boots issued in the 1990's awesome boots in the summer, in the winter I wore matterhorns/danners, now I wear the light weight magnum style with the zipper on the side, cheap boots, but light and easy to don B)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Jon said:
For some reason, Thefirestore.com isn't coming up... (Even linking from OfficerStore.com) I think SOMEONE Forgot to pay their web bill!

Works fine for me.

Resqswimmer

Forum Ride Along
my squad and fire station both use redwing shoes. they have these steel-toe boots that can be laced, but they fix a zipper to them too that way they are easy to get on and off. they are wonderful i have had mine for a few years, and they hold out great. i didnt have bunker gear on my first fire, but i ran up and down that scene in those boots and they are still in great condition. i have done about everything with those.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Question: what do people think about steel toes vs. safety toes?

I want toe protection, for sure, but I'm hesitant about steel toes. A friend of mine was wearing a pair of steel toes when his foot was stepped on by a horse. The metal broke and lacerated his foot, amputating a toe or two in the process. I can imagine a few something-dropping-on-your-foot scenarios where the end result could be similar.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
Question: what do people think about steel toes vs. safety toes?

I want toe protection, for sure, but I'm hesitant about steel toes. A friend of mine was wearing a pair of steel toes when his foot was stepped on by a horse. The metal broke and lacerated his foot, amputating a toe or two in the process. I can imagine a few something-dropping-on-your-foot scenarios where the end result could be similar.

Mythbusters did an episode on whether or not steel toe boots could amputate your foot. In every test, the steel toes were always a better option than the non-steel toe boots.

As far as your friend goes, what do you think would have happened to his foot if he WASN'T wearing steel toe boots?

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Well, he probably would have had a very badly broken foot, but would still have 10 toes. :p

-i hate grammar-

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
Well, he probably would have had a very badly broken foot, but would still have 10 toes. :p

-i hate grammar-
10 Flat toes ;)