What boots do you use?

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I long for a boot that will work with a seven hole zipper system someone gave me. I currently use a Wal-Mart special which is comfortable as can be, but has a speedlace system and doesnt work with my seven-eyelet zipper thingys.

What do you use, and do you like it?

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Sometimes I wear solid black Nike hightops, although comfy they offer no protection. They look like boots, and I can get by wearing those when my FD does EMS stand-bys. Usually I wear steel-toed Redwings. Sturdy boots, keeps my tootsies from getting smooshed.

EMTI&RESCUE

Forum Crew Member
I've been wearing a pair of Magnums's for about a year. They are very comfortable all 24hrs. And they will work with your 7 hole zipper. The best place to find them is at an army navy surplus, or ems store.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
magnums? can you send me a link? pleeeease?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I wear Mil-Spec Infantry Combat Boots - www.altama.com

Comfy, and durable.

I'm looking into a pair of HAIX boots with a steel toe and zipper... it would be AWSOME to have a steel toe.

Maybe I should just think of getting me a pair of "Tims"

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Mine are leather, go to the knee, they have about a 2 inch heel on them and go with every outfit I have. I love them :p

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
When I get the money, I'm probably going to get the 5.11 ATAC 8" Shield Duty Boot.

130146.jpg

They're $140 at Galls, but I might get them from TheFireStore.com, where they're ten bucks cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Gee... Everone buys from the FireStore... But HAVE YOU BEEN THERE?

They are truly "Whacker Central" - The front lobby looks like a hose tower, and it has a large brass pole ;) (The ;) has to do with the off-hours potential uses ;) )

My squad has 2 members who are employed by the fine establisment of whackerdom...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
Gee... Everone buys from the FireStore... But HAVE YOU BEEN THERE?

They are truly "Whacker Central" - The front lobby looks like a hose tower, and it has a large brass pole ;) (The ;) has to do with the off-hours potential uses ;) )

My squad has 2 members who are employed by the fine establisment of whackerdom...

No, I didn't realize they were that relatively close to where I live (slightly south of Baltimore). An hour northwest of Philly is still too far for me to take a casual browsing trip. But maybe I'll wait until I get enough money together to buy a bunch of stuff, maybe I'll see if some other people in my station want to get a bunch of stuff all at once, and that might be worth it.

BTW, here's a picture:
headquarters_1.jpg

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
I wear bates enforcers, they arent that expensive at academy sports. im kind of an impulse person, so i hate ordering off the net, cause then you have to wait the three days for your stuff to come in the mail. i prefer the non-steel toe, just due to the fact that when i go to kick up the back bumper of the medic, i dont gouge out a chunk of leather off my boot, ive had my pair for about a year now, and they still look new, got some of that "Parade Polish" from wally world, it works great, as close to patton as you can get.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't have a choice, steel toes are required.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
JJR512 said:
No, I didn't realize they were that relatively close to where I live (slightly south of Baltimore). An hour northwest of Philly is still too far for me to take a casual browsing trip. But maybe I'll wait until I get enough money together to buy a bunch of stuff, maybe I'll see if some other people in my station want to get a bunch of stuff all at once, and that might be worth it.

BTW, here's a picture:
headquarters_1.jpg
They are west of Philadelphia, on Rt. 30 near PA 82... By Coatsville City.

RebelRescue

Forum Probie
Magnums for me too,very comfortable,slip on very fast with that side zipper,good price too.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I have used the High Tec Magnums and they were a comfortable boot as long as you are pounding pavement. I now use Danner Fort Lewis (10") leather boots or Danner Arcadia (8") boots. They are comfortable in all terane and did I mention you can get them rebuilt by Danner. I have rebuilt both of pairs. The company charges from $45- $150 to do the work. I do notice that there was no break in period for my danners. They were comfortable from day one.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
RALS504 said:
I have used the High Tec Magnums and they were a comfortable boot as long as you are pounding pavement. I now use Danner Fort Lewis (10") leather boots or Danner Arcadia (8") boots. They are comfortable in all terane and did I mention you can get them rebuilt by Danner. I have rebuilt both of pairs. The company charges from $45- $150 to do the work. I do notice that there was no break in period for my danners. They were comfortable from day one.
Where can we get more information on these and buy them?

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
what I ended up buying

JJR512 said:
Where can we get more information on these and buy them?

http://www.chiefsupply.com/danner-fort-lewis.phtml

too much boot for me personally with my current budget, not to mention the fact that I need to be on the road from a dead sleep in thirty seconds and sleeping in boots sucks a$$.

Thanks to everyone for your imput. After viewing everyones thoughts and listening to the opinion of some friends and superiors, I picked up the following.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SP526

It was right for me, maybe it will be right for one of you lurkers out there too. :)

-pf.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Based on the positive review of the company provided by RALS504, I may decide to go with Danner Striker Side Zip GTX NMT 8". As the name implies it's a side-zip 8" duty boot with a non-metallic safety toe. That particular model is not listed on the chiefsupply.com website as far as I could find, but I looked up Danner's home page and saw them there. A bit more expensive, but I figure you usually get what you pay for. Are all Danner boots rebuildable?

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
JJR512 said:
Based on the positive review of the company provided by RALS504, I may decide to go with Danner Striker Side Zip GTX NMT 8". As the name implies it's a side-zip 8" duty boot with a non-metallic safety toe. That particular model is not listed on the chiefsupply.com website as far as I could find, but I looked up Danner's home page and saw them there. A bit more expensive, but I figure you usually get what you pay for. Are all Danner boots rebuildable?
Not all Danner boots are rebuildable; However, any of them can be converted to a zippered boot. I have both my pairs with Danner zippers laced in. I tried Hi Tech zippers and they broke after a year of use. I have bought both pairs of boots from http://bakershoe.com. They usually have great prices. My only complaint about my Danners are that they have a sole that does leave black marks in the back of the rig. We have tan colored floors in all of our ambulances. The marks are removable with a scrub brush and soap. Most of our crew use Danner boots bought from the above website. A few use Hi Tech and two poeple use Matterhorn boots. The Matterhorn is a good boot. They are a little cheaper and do not last as long. I do not believe they are rebuildable, but if I could not afford Danners I would buy Matterhorns. Oh yeh, The other advatage of both boots is they can be had with full leather/ insulation for those of you up north or a leather/nylon for those of us in the southwest. I hope this helps you.