what are your views on female EMTs

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I was trying to further dialogue on your comments...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Also, I give no quarter merely because your reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside. That would be sexist, and, I believe, illegal. You have a job to do. If you want me to treat you differently because you're female or you are unable to do your job, then you can either go get on another truck or you can go home. Same as with me. If I am unable to perform my duties as a paramedic, then I need to go home until I can. There is no attitude, no resentment, no anger. It is a job. You, we, me. We all have a job to do. And you're either going to do your job or you're not. If you CAN'T, then you need to find a way so that you can. If you WON'T, then you might need to change employment. It is a job. Nothing more. Nothing less. Do it or don't.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I am not an EMT or Paramedic but I am a female in a male dominated department and I am held to the same standards and expectations as the men. I don't ask for special treatment, I don't expect accommodations. I come in and do my job. I am 1 of 4 female officers in a department of 60 total officers and everyone goes through the same training. Is there talking among officers, of course but the men are talked about as much as the women are. I don't give excuses, I stay humble, I ask when I don't know some thing, I stay knowledgeable of what is required of me, I'm a team player, I keep myself and my partner safe and I never ever ever play the "it's because I'm a female card."

OP, I am also a 5'2" female and never do I ever allow that to be an excuse or reason for me not to do something or do a job. There may be a different way I do some things but I get my job done and go home at the end of the day.

Good luck!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Female EMTs?! Psh. What is next...Male Nurses?! :eek:
IMG_0048.JPG

Pond Life

Forum Crew Member
We have about 50/50 mix female/male and has been the case for about a decade. Some stations it's more female dominant.
I agree with most of the posts especially the ones that state competence is the overriding factor
I would like to add something to this... if any person comes onto a station and makes a point of highlighting a politically correct issue then others on station are often on their guard incase they put a foot wrong. This scenario would not have existed if it hadn't been highlighted by the person in the first place.
So if you are a woman who comes onto station and checks the equipment, signs for the CDs, then there will be no issues. If however, you come onto station and you make a point of highlighting your perception of your weaknesses then you have defined your working relationship for the rest of the shift.
This can be applied to anything, gender, sexual preferences, religion, wealth, education etc.
Create a box to put yourself in and you have compartmentalised and defined yourself - I recommend you get rid of your box

Taylorrae33

Forum Ride Along
I'm only 5'3, barely 120 lbs and I'm a female EMT. It's a tough job, but I love it. Be prepared to put up with a lot of sexual comments, potentially harrassment. You'll feel like you have to work extra hard to prove yourself. But if you have the passion and the drive, I say go for it.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm only 5'3, barely 120 lbs and I'm a female EMT. It's a tough job, but I love it. Be prepared to put up with a lot of sexual comments, potentially harrassment. You'll feel like you have to work extra hard to prove yourself. But if you have the passion and the drive, I say go for it.
Just gonna throw in this little bit from a guys perspective. Will you get the sexual comments? Possibly/probably. You don't have to put up with a damn thing though.